Skip to content

Long time fan, first time on these boards!

GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
edited April 2016 in New Members Welcome Area
Hi, new on the boards but long time devotee of the Baldur's Gate series!

I've been a huge fan of Black Isle RPGs since before they were Black Isle (got Fallout in 1997 and gobbled up all of Black Isle's output from Fallout 2 right through to when they closed their doors with Lionheart (my 2nd fave Black Isle game after Planescape: Torment) and the second Dark Alliance game (never was a big fan of the DA games though).

That said, being a pen and paper RPG nerd as a kid (still am although I haven't gamed with a group for a while, Eclipse Phase is my poison these days moreso than the Palladium Books, TSR/WotC and White Wolf RPGs that dominated my youth) I fell in love with Baldur's Gate on my first playthrough (and I gave it, ToSC, BG II and SoA many a playthrough in the late 90s/early 00s) and was already familiar enough with the world of Faerûn that I was fully immersed before Gorion hit the floor. I have fond nostalgia for these games, so until the recent controversy I only had the originals (missing discs tho lol) and my GOG purchases of the classic editions.

When I heard they were doing the expansion, I got excited. When I saw the teaser reveal trailer, I got even more excited. I'm poor and broke, so when the game launched I wasn't sure if I was going to get it. Then the controversy over a trans NPC started erupting and, as a trans gamer with the background in Baldur's Gate that I have, I knew I needed to scrape the bottom of my financial barrel and pony up to see what was fueling all these transmisogynistic hatescreeds I was seeing...and The Siege of Dragonspear was so good that as I got deeper into it I realized I had to go back and start a new game in BG EE to carry a campaign through the entire Beamdog trajectory.

And here I am, making posts instead of continuing that journey...not for long though! I'm diving back in so I can give a proper review of SoD on GOG. But my initial impression? It's more than a worthy addition that feels right at home, and hearing Minsc deliver new classics that fit right in with the old ones honestly made me misty-eyed as silly as that is. I know adult friends of mine trying to get into the series are annoyed with Minsc's dialogue lmao but for me, it's a nostalgia trip to hear it all over again playing BG EE, and it was...something that both included and transcended that nostalgia to hear all-new Minsc dialogue. The little kid in me laughed and it made my eyes wet somehow. Brains are funny organs, that's all I gotta say about that. I'm kicking myself over not grabbing the Enhanced Editions before now is all I can say, I'm an instant Beamdog convert.

YOU BETTER MAKE THE BLACK HOUND BEAMDOG!! BG III'S TITLE WAS DESTINY, IT EVEN HAD HOUND IN IT!!!
CameronToferMetallomanmashedtatersSon_of_ImoenJuliusBorisovWilburGozeta

Comments

• lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Welcome!
    Those trailers... they almost managed to brought tears in my eyes too.
    GenderNihilismGirdleJuliusBorisovWilbur
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Cool! Welcome!
    GenderNihilismGirdlelolienJuliusBorisovWilbur
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Welcome to :cookie: Land! Here's your :cookie:!
    lolienGenderNihilismGirdleWilburJuliusBorisov
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    lolien said:

Welcome!
    Those trailers... they almost managed to brought tears in my eyes too.

Honestly I can't wait for the BG III trailer to eventually come out, so I can actually have a heart attack and die grinning.

Thanks for the welcome messages and likes everybody, I like this forum already! :D
    lolienJuliusBorisov
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Welcome! Nice nick btw :D
    GenderNihilismGirdlelolienJuliusBorisov
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    Wilbur said:

Welcome! Nice nick btw :D

I am wearing my Girdle of Gender Nihilism 24/7/365 and it's not even cursed!
    WilburlolienJuliusBorisovGozeta