Skip to content

Why is this game boring compared to BG2?

13»

Comments

• ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    They're normally referred to as NPCs "Non-Player Characters". A little weird, as they are playable, but they're not the protagonist. It's a term that's derived from pnp. It's easier to just call them NPC, as everyone knows what you're talking about.

When you start a new game, and create or import your character, after entering the name, do not press Accept, but Create Party. This brings you to a screen that is similar to Multiplayer setup, where you can design multiple characters.

The top left one will be the Protagonist. The others are basically banterless NPCs, and can be removed. You do not need to fill all 6 slots.
  • Ironhammer33Ironhammer33 Member Posts: 54
    Thels said:

They're normally referred to as NPCs "Non-Player Characters". A little weird, as they are playable, but they're not the protagonist. It's a term that's derived from pnp. It's easier to just call them NPC, as everyone knows what you're talking about.

When you start a new game, and create or import your character, after entering the name, do not press Accept, but Create Party. This brings you to a screen that is similar to Multiplayer setup, where you can design multiple characters.

The top left one will be the Protagonist. The others are basically banterless NPCs, and can be removed. You do not need to fill all 6 slots.

Yes, I also referred to all characters not controlled by a player as NPCs but I believe the distinction this individual was making, is that these characters could be controlled by the player as opposed to all the NPCs which only the DM, barring a magical enchantment or some other type of controlling force, would be the only one managing their actions.

I do hope in the interest of fun and learning that I have not confused anyone unfamiliar, or perhaps even familiar, with typical pnp RPGs.

:smile:
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    Thels said:

They're normally referred to as NPCs "Non-Player Characters".

In the case of other cRPGs, people usually call them "companions".

Calling them NPCs seems to be somewhat of an Infinity Engine specific mannerism. (Or is it a traditional vs modern thing?)
    semiticgoddess
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Companion makes sense, but it's a lot more letters than NPC, so I guess NPC was just easier to type. :tongue:
    Companion is clear, though!