Skip to content

Why is this game boring compared to BG2?

Diomedes33Diomedes33 Member Posts: 144
Made a party.. got up to Dragon's eye before I yawn-Xed the game. I'm not sure why either because I love BG2. Was it the fact that I created the entire party and rofl-stomped everything on the hardest level? I dont know..

Comments

• BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Yes. My first time playing IWD was over a several month period as I came back to it when the mood struck me. I didn't find it boring, but it is a lot quieter than BG2. :smile:
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    Icewind dale is more a linear tactics game in a beautiful setting, while Baldurs Gate is a story telling game with wide branching quests, spiced up with tactics. This means if you take out the challenge in battles, it gets boring.

There are ways to spoil the challenge:
    – create 6 powergamer characters with high stats or classes that are known to be overpowered, which is possible in IWD, and DOMINATE, while you only get one such character in BG while the rest is somewhat mediocre (read: balanced).
    – raise the difficulty setting but leaving the double XP option on, therefor raising levels faster than your enemies get stronger. Game gets easier while you play, at some point easier than normal setting. BG does not grant double XP for higher difficulty, actually making the game more difficult. IWD added a switch to turn this off in 1.4 patch, it's in the gameplay options.

There are ways to keep the challenge:
    – find the right difficulty setting that actually works (see above)
    – make themend parties like Bards Bands, elves only, or just characters that have weaknesses along with their strengths, and use what you got
    – on character creation, use the dices only once / twice / trice
    – avoid to use known cheese tactics
    – There is the option of using the IWD NPC mod, that adds characters that are balanced and talk to each other. Less temptation to make overpowers, and more immersion.
  • SeranSeran Member Posts: 28
    I found Icewind Dale much more enjoyable as a multiplayer experience. I actually never even beat it once in single player.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I've never been able to finish it precisely because there aren't any real characters in the party, just six versions of you silently trudging through. I'd recommend the Icewind Dale NPC Project to give it a bit more flavor.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I would love to like IWD. It is such a beautiful-looking and sounding game. Some of the music is sublime, the character portraits are superb and the locations are stunning. But it is such a dull game to play. I try to role play my party but since it is just an endless succession of fights I find it very hard to do in any kind of meaningful way.

I imagine it works far better as multiplayer and next time I try it I will definitely give the NPC project a go.

I guess what I would really like would be to be able to transport my Baldur's Gate NPCs into the game. If I could explore it with Imoen, Kagain, Alora, Viconia and Edwin I would probably enjoy it a lot more.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Are you playing it sober? Just kidding lol :)
    Min-maxing can really ruin the fun (not talking IWD specifically since I haven't even completed it yet) so you should consider a sub-optimal party to ramp up the challenge.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Do a no-rest-in-dungeons plus no-reload run.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Raduziel said:

There's enough backtracking through already-cleared dungeons without forcing yourself to do so every time you need to rest. That could be done in Baldur's Gate, where dungeons aren't as massive, but in IWD it would be a drag.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Abi_Dalzim I think the point is not resting...
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    edited April 2016

@Abi_Dalzim I think the point is not resting...

Well he did say no-rest-in-dungeons. Doesn't that mean you can rest elsewhere?

Edit. Or maybe I'm missing something :)
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I like the game.

But there's close to zero replayability because of how linear it is. I'd play BG2 9/10 before IWD again because while there is a path I can take major sidequests in different orders at least and stuff like that.
  • ShandoShando Member Posts: 147
    MEH. NWN EE would have been much better ;p
  • marzbarzmarzbarz Member Posts: 187
    I like the voice acting and story but it lacked lots of companion related stuff imo. Also yeah because you can now add the kits and stuff from bg2 it does make it pretty easy. I also find you level up a lot faster than bg1, which is obvious/part of it, but I feel that makes you too strong too fast and the novelty/fun of the abilities gained wears off faster.
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    I am inclined to agree with most people in this thread. Despite its beautiful audiovisuals and enthralling setting, IWD is, for the most part, a mind-numbingly dull game. Even if we are willing to overlook its cliché, two-dimensional story and the lack of intra-party dialogue, the game still falls short in terms of engaging combat and tactical gameplay. Even on HoF, all the fights are really straightforward, mindless head-bashing. Once you master one general strategy, you've pretty much mastered all of the game, with some very minor exceptions (harpies in ToL come to mind).

While some people may disagree, I don't think the infinity engine is particulalrly well-suited for hack'n'slash action RPGs, which is exactly what IWD is. It is simply too deliberate, mellow and slow-paced for a game that puts brawn before brains. When you take away tactical planning, banter, sidequests, diplomacy and complex spellcasting patterns (most of what made BG so memorable an experience), the shortcomings of the engine become painfully apparent.

What this game needs the most is an SCS-like mod to improve the AI and the complexity of the encounters.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    SCS would be great indeed :)
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    I've never been able to finish IWD1 or 2. I always get bored near the last few maps.
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    The simple answer - no NPCs and their banter or quests. No story that really connects to you the PC. No NPC at all as you make and design your own team and their personalities - all in your head.

With BG you get quirky personalities and quests - and NPCs that interact not only with you but with other NPCs which can be fun and entertaining. Not only that you get the flaming fist and bureaucrats and assorted mages that might arrest if you don't buy their magic license for a ridiculous amount. You actually have to be nice to some degree in order to keep your NPCs because they leave if your rep gets too high or low. Plus for those that like a romance - you can romance a character and even get a "home" in BG2. All the intrigues, and quests within quests make BG that much more entertaining than IWD.
  • OrangemooseOrangemoose Member Posts: 83
    Raduziel said:

That's how I generally play but I ran more into the problem of running out of ammunition rather than having to rest.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I bought IWD and Diablo II both at the same time, and I probably spent approximately equal time with both for at least a month.

I'm not sure I would agree that IWD is clearly superior to Diablo II, but I do agree it is a worthy game.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    Its just IWD seems... empty (for me). Yes ok, I LOVE the music, the maps and colors (dorns'deep, severed hand ...), the story isn't so bad, there are cool NPC (Larrel, Arundel), the bestiary is fine too.
    But, I feel like I'm just here to rush the game, gain XP, level up and do that again.
    The fact that you create your own group, no banters, not enough side quests, not enough side maps (all the maps are related to the main quest and you're obliged to walk across them, once done, you never come back).

I like to play this game but I prefer the BG serie, its a real story-game
  • wsmithjrwsmithjr Member Posts: 50
    Anyone tried to play the game with the IWDNPC mod? I'm just starting to do that. Only issue is that since the NPCs are set to certain classes, I think it limits your choice of PC to create a balanced party. Still, I'm looking forward to trying it out. I think I've settled on a Fighter/Mage to fill out the party.