Skip to content

New game/expansion, did any of the updates fix this with Druid Shapeshift kit?

zolopzolop Member Posts: 14
EDIT, added in the beginning of thread to avoid any confusion or the confusion I had.

zolop said:

This is where the confusion was with me, I missed part of the text (in bold)...

Shapeshifter Rebalancing (Weimer)

"Shapeshifter Rebalancing (Weimer)
Please note that this is a legacy component from Wes Weimer's Ease of Use mod. Wes typically designed for balance under the assumption that people would have the Tactics mod installed, so this is probably overpowered for most normal games. The rest of the description is from Wes: " from...

http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg2tweaks/content.php

Thank you for pointing this out Tresset!

Rest of the old thread below....

For the Werewolf

You Were Supposed to Receive...
Base magic resistance 20%
Immunity to normal weapons
Paw does 1d12 slashing damage

You Actually Received...
Magic resistance locked at 20%
Paw does 1d6 piercing damage

For the greater werewolf:

You Were Supposed to Receive...
THAC0 of 6
Saves 1/1/1/2/1
Base elemental resistance of 50%
Base magic resistance of 40%
Immunity to normal weapons
Paw is +3 weapon
Paw does 2d8 slashing damage
Regeneration of 3 HP per second

You Actually Received...
Elemental resistance locked at 50%
Magic resistance locked at 40%
Paw is +2 weapon
Paw does 1d6 piercing damage

I am not sure if the G3 tweak pack will work with this version as the engine, infinity engine is being heavily updated with SOD..

Ref...

Only search I found related to this was for the general discussion area...but thought since SOD released would put it in the SOD forum.
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/45751/did-shapeshifter-ever-get-fixed

thank you!

EDITED to fix formatting, did not show up correctly on first post.
Post edited by zolop on

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,265
    @typo_tilly Oh... It isn't really a fix per se... The devs seem intent on letting the shapeshifter have their (IMHO) erroneous bear paw weapons and I have come to begrudgingly accept that over the years. What I did was just tweak the weapons a bit so they are more reasonable (to me at least).
    First: Weapons changed to slashing damage.
    Second: Lesser werewolf does 1d8 base damage. Greater werewolf does 2d8 base damage.
    Third: Lesser werewolf counts as a +1 (I may raise it to +2 though) weapon. Greater werewolf counts as a +3 weapon.
    Fourth: Made the weapons have the correct icons.

And that is about all I did really. I may restore the super constitution bonuses to the forms now that I think about it, because I miss that...

In any case, I personally find some of what you are asking for extremely unbalanced. The lesser werewolf being immune to normal weapons would completely and utterly destroy BG1 (at least pre-SoD). I do take requests, though, so if you want a mod that doesn't involve weidu (I suck at syntax and such) I would definitely try to whip something up for you.
  • comebackhomecomebackhome Member Posts: 254
    Correct me if I'm wrong but can't this be fixed by using the latest SCS mod? I thought I saw something about Fixing Werewolf form, or that might of been Item/Spell revisions...
  • kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    What do you think if somebody make a pnp werewolf form and on higher levels even with ability to spellcast but with a limited duration of ability (say 1 turn for example) once per day?
    As similar it was done in Pillars.
  • zolopzolop Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2016
    Tresset said:

@typo_tilly Oh... It isn't really a fix per se... The devs seem intent on letting the shapeshifter have their (IMHO) erroneous bear paw weapons and I have come to begrudgingly accept that over the years. What I did was just tweak the weapons a bit so they are more reasonable (to me at least).
    First: Weapons changed to slashing damage.
    Second: Lesser werewolf does 1d8 base damage. Greater werewolf does 2d8 base damage.
    Third: Lesser werewolf counts as a +1 (I may raise it to +2 though) weapon. Greater werewolf counts as a +3 weapon.
    Fourth: Made the weapons have the correct icons.

And that is about all I did really. I may restore the super constitution bonuses to the forms now that I think about it, because I miss that...

In any case, I personally find some of what you are asking for extremely unbalanced. The lesser werewolf being immune to normal weapons would completely and utterly destroy BG1 (at least pre-SoD). I do take requests, though, so if you want a mod that doesn't involve weidu (I suck at syntax and such) I would definitely try to whip something up for you.

This is where the confusion was with me, I missed part of the text (in bold)...

Shapeshifter Rebalancing (Weimer)

"Shapeshifter Rebalancing (Weimer)
    Please note that this is a legacy component from Wes Weimer's Ease of Use mod. Wes typically designed for balance under the assumption that people would have the Tactics mod installed, so this is probably overpowered for most normal games. The rest of the description is from Wes: " from...

Thank you for pointing this out Tresset!
    Post edited by zolop on
    edited April 2016
    How easy would it be to mod the druid form with the different stats? Is it something easy I can learn on my own? AS a sidenote, I do play with the XP capped at 2999999 (for BG1+SOD). In BG1 I was around halfway through the story hitting the games (un-modded at the time) level cap with some of my party members. This was in multiplayer too (at least I think I remember last). If there was a safe and easy way to import HLAs into BG1+SOD I would spend the time. Is there an easy way to import HLAs into Bg1+SOD?
    Post edited by zolop on
    edited April 2016
    edited for double post... oopsie!
  • UnpersonUnperson Member Posts: 29

I'd really like to know where this "you were supposed to receive" idea comes from.

I hate the SCS and CDTweaks so-called "fixes" for shapeshifters. They are incredibly cheesy.

The idea comes from looking at base game lycanthropes. There is no reason why you should transform into a gimped version of the creature, if you are allowed to play as a lycanthrope to begin with. Whether the kit is inherently imba is a different matter, but nowhere in the class description says that your transformations are into (way) weaker versions of the monster. It's as if longswords did 1d4 when equipped by the player, or the player's fighter THAC0 capped out at level 9. Besides, it made zero sense that the transformation was subject to spell failure, or the claws could be dispelled.

The mods do allow for incredible cheese, such as putting the created paws both in your main hand *and* your off-hand, which results in the regeneration from the Greater Werewolf form stacking. That being said, even with the mods, the kit is still weaker than your average fighter/druid, except for perhaps at the very beginning of BG1 and BG2. Spellcasting is still disabled in werewolf form (in SCS by default, and it's trivial to mod into the BG2Tweaks version), and for a pure caster class, that's a huge trade-off.

Ideally Beamdog would have taken the opportunity to fix the problems with the kit, but given a choice between the laughably gimped vanilla Shapeshifter and the potentially cheesy modded version I'll take the latter and simply not indulge in cheese.

Out of curiosity, what does your mod do with the kit?
  • who_is_danielwho_is_daniel Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 98
    I also would like a more powerfull Shapeshifter. I used to useShapeshifter Rebalancing mod by Weimer, along with Tactics and many other challenge enhancing mods (I know the Shapeshifter Rebalancing mod reduces the difficulty but it increased the fun for me).