Skip to content

Buying Magical Items from Vendors

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
One thing that always got me about these games (IWD more than BG) is buying these unbelievable magic items from vendors. Now, Thunderhammer Smithy I can get - the guy's a legend right? Probably an ex-adventurer, and he doesn't sell *THAT* much, but in IWD, the fact that Conlan (the Blacksmith from Kuldahar) sells the ridiculous stuff he does... +3 weapons here, +1 Con Axe there, it just always bothered me. When we played pen and paper AD&D, the only way we buy magical items are from like powerful mages and the like. I wish they took like half the stuff in these shop inventories and placed them in the game instead (in dungeons, etc). I'd rather find them adventuring then have to grind endlessly to buy them. Buying everything you want in IWD is impossible by the way... unless you do like 2 play throughs. Just seems lazy to me.

Comments

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I agree. I think the magic items available in the stores are way over-powered. If you want a Girdle of Hill Giant Strength you should have to fight a guy who is wearing one to get it.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644

I agree. I think the magic items available in the stores are way over-powered. If you want a Girdle of Hill Giant Strength you should have to fight a guy who is wearing one to get it.

True that. And honestly, maybe it was just our games, but when I say "buying" a magic item, what I really mean is usually having to trade one to get another. Gold is gold but magic items are special. Now, I know its a game and you're going to lose some in translation, but I think limiting what you can buy is a good way of doing that.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    I've been playing Tutu with the Item Randomization mod.

This removes most magical items from shops and the world and places them elsewhere in the game. So the stuff sold at the Thunderhammer Smithy might drop from a mini boss like Zargal, Greywolf, or one of the bounty hunters that comes after you.

On the whole, it's great and can make the game more interesting. You no longer get immediate boons like the Ring of Wizardry and you can't depend on having the Gauntlets of Dexterity early in the game.

As Tanthalas notes, though, it makes gold mostly meaningless because there's little to no gear to buy.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Tanthalas said:

If you remove all the nice magical items from shops gold will lose even more value.

You could solve that by making gold less easy to come by or give the adventurers something else to spend it on. In the Conan RPG every week all adventurers have to spend 50% of their current wealth on high living. That quickly solves the problem of accumulating too much wealth.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    It actually makes more sense that powerful items would congregate at shops. I mean, if I have a powerful axe but I have no use of it I'm going to sell it. That is likely the case for a lot of adventurers.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Not to mention adventurers that retire with a bunch of magical loot and decide to open a shop. Even if they keep their own gear they prolly have a big ol' pile of magical knickknacks and spare weapons and things to sell.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited September 2012
    Everyone has made very valid points about the availability of magic items in shops and the role gold hoarding plays in the game. It seems more reasonable that the power of the magic items would match the shopkeeper, which is evident in Cromwell's forging ability and Ribald's (a high-level retired adventurer) special stash in BG2. I agree with @HaHaCharade that Conlan in IWD carries items that seem a bit overpowered for a smith who did a little adventuring in his days. And how is Taerum Fuiruim able to openly sell a suit of Shadow Thief armor without attracting unwanted attention from the Shadow Thieves? I'm sure they would pay him a kindly visit and ask how he came to own it. Maybe I'm just overthinking things.

As @Tanthalus said, gold would lose its value if all the powerful magic items were in the hands of to-be-killed enemies. Although, I have to admit this would save the effort of picking up every coin dropped by gibberlings (and why do they carry gold in the first place?). @Permidion_Stark makes a good point about needing gold to keep up with the demands of living the adventurer's life. However, I can't help but wonder if focusing that much on adventuring economics would cause a micromanaging nightmare that detracts more than it adds to the story and playability of the game.
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    Considering how many magic items I sell, I don't consider it unlikely for most merchants to have a few for sale.

There's a nice point early in the game when you see a magic item you want and can't afford it, then come back a while later and feel a sense of accomplishment in finally buying it. Then, a few levels later, you'll be leaving equally valuable items on the ground because you can't be bothered carrying them around and you don't need the gold from selling them anyway. (What's this, only +1? Pfft!)

If magic items get taken out of stores, you'd need a new purpose for gold in the game, or less gold available.

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    You could increase dramatically the prices at inns and taverns, for one thing. You could also make potions and scrolls more widely available in towns.

It bothers me a little bit that you can rent the Royal room at any inn for the same price as a short sword. Sometimes I rent that room just because I really don't care about the gold at that point. If inns were more expensive, not only would you have to consider it carefully before resting there, but you'd feel a noticeable difference in returns between Peasant and Royal.

• MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @Aosaw There's a "Hard Times" mod for Tutu that sets the inn rooms at a much higher rate (among other things). I think the royal room was 275gp a night.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Agreed, in IWD and BGII it was a bit ridiculous. However it should stay as it is.

Anyway, more reasons why BG1 is better ... wait shhh I didn't say that. *Flees*
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644

Items are fine as is. Gold is fine as is.

QUIT TRYIN'NA CHANGE MY 15 YEAR OLD GAME!

That's what EE is doing man! :P
  • MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    edited September 2012
    No. It makes gold worthless. We find plenty of gold and and vendor trash while adventuring. Better to allow us to use it to buy items as we see fit from the shops than wait half the game for them or make a beeline to the enemy with the magic sword we want. This way, we can still get magic items and a good rate, but can choose the order we get them in and always have decent gear for our current party.
    Does anyone remember what a commoner would earn in a year in the P&P game? I remember it being like one or two gold pieces.

Working from that I had a wizard that was building his own network of spies and informants just by throwing a few gold pieces around hehehe.

But anyway, assuming that the average commoner only gets two GP a year, the prices of some things make a lot more sense. The "Royal" Suite makes more sense at 8gp. A really good bottle of wine could be worth a couple GP and be the sort of thing you'd save for a really special occasion, maybe for years.

If adventuring wasn't ridiculously profitable, people wouldn't do it. Even Do-Gooders would end up collecting signatures on petitions instead of going into dungeons. It's not unusual for an adventurer to become nobility on not only the strength of his sword arm but on the wealth he has accumulated.

Everything fits together a lot better if you work from that premise and then jiggle the numbers a bit for game balance.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    Never had a problem with items in IWD and shops that have these items. Also, I was able to buy anythuing I wanted most of the way through the game.

At the start of any IE game, your poor and you see these items and think, 'ooh ahh nice, I wan't that'. At the end of the game, I have everything I want and have more gold than what to do with.
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    edited September 2012

One thing that always got me about these games (IWD more than BG) is buying these unbelievable magic items from vendors. Now, Thunderhammer Smithy I can get - the guy's a legend right? Probably an ex-adventurer, and he doesn't sell *THAT* much, but in IWD, the fact that Conlan (the Blacksmith from Kuldahar) sells the ridiculous stuff he does... +3 weapons here, +1 Con Axe there, it just always bothered me. When we played pen and paper AD&D, the only way we buy magical items are from like powerful mages and the like. I wish they took like half the stuff in these shop inventories and placed them in the game instead (in dungeons, etc). I'd rather find them adventuring then have to grind endlessly to buy them. Buying everything you want in IWD is impossible by the way... unless you do like 2 play throughs. Just seems lazy to me.

In the 2nd ed Monstrous Manual, when you encounter large groups of creatures, ex. dwarves, high elves, wood elves, gnomes, halflings, there are usually supposed to be some higher level characters within the groups or communities. It usually states that these individuals have a 10% chance per level to have a magical item that is useful to the class (and for mages, it's a 10% per level to have 2-5 magical items useful to them). Multiclassed characters get this bonus for all of their classes. So a 4Ftr/4Mage/5Thf has a 40% chance to have a magical item useful to fighters, a 40% chance to have 2-5 magical items useful to mages, and a 50% chance to have a magical item useful to thieves. In a community of elves, for example, there are bound to be anywhere from 1 to 20+ of these individuals all at varying levels.

The gear random adventurers will have is even more interesting. For an adventurer, a roll is made for multiple pieces of gear (i.e. for a fighter, one for armor, another for shield, sword, misc weapon, and a fifth for a potion, i.e. five separate rolls all at 5% chance per character level--and random adventurers range from LVs 1-20). Now think of Ribald. It is well known that he was an adventurer in his youth, and as a fighter/mage, he's bound to have all sorts of magical items, and there's nothing crazy about it. He even has armed guards to protect his shop, as well as himself, and he's quite formidable himself (while he isn't to a high level group of adventurers, bear in mind that in the d&d context, most people don't reach very high levels, so he is the equivalent to in real life some retired soldier/marine combat instructor who has a 5th degree blackbelt and is also packing pistols behind the front desk, although of course his whole shop is filled with weapons--and that's in addition to having a guard there). What destroys the game imo is the fact that he's not the only merchant there. Another one or two with some scrolls or minor magic items might make sense, as they are attracted to his place of doing business, but some of them are special NPCs, like the one with the Planescape/IWD items, so these are pretty much NPCs that would normally never have these items, and which shouldn't even be in the game (it's mostly for flavour).

When I originally bought BGII, the PS/IWD items weren't the game. There was no vhailor helm or robe of vecna for me, and I prefer it that way. When I saw them, I thought they were so cheap that I simply refuse to use them.

I think the best solution is for the items to be more spread out, and a lot of them are if you think about it, seeing as there are merchants all over the place, and sometimes only with one or two really good items. This also doesn't seem to be absurd, as it's pretty common in real life for storekeeps to have some major treasure locked away somewhere if they have been in business for a while (old collector's items for example, but in the d&d world, it would be a powerful magical item). Just think about it. There are lots of antique stores and second hand shops in most major cities, and most of these places contain some pretty rare/valuable things, so it's not too far fetched, although having tons and tons of these things is of course another matter.

I'm just saying this because I don't think a belt of giant strength being there is too far fetched. I don't even think his special stash is far fetched. What does seem far fetched is someone else in the store having a helmet of simulacrum, Vecna's robe (LOL), and other OP items. A lot of the items described are literally from the collector's edition vendor that isn't normally even in the game.

Edit: to put what I was saying in perspective.

For Elves, a band of 160 will have the following additional members:
    6 Lv 2-3 Fighters
    4 Lv 1-2 Mages
    2 Lv 4 Fighters
    1 Lv 8 Mage
    1 Lv 4/4/4 Fighter/Mage/Thief
    2 Lv 6/6/6 Fighter/Mage/Thieves
    2 Lv 3/3/3 Fighter/Mage/Thieves
    2 Lv 4/5 Fighter/Mages

If it's an elf encampment of 160, there are the further additions to what was already stated:
    4 Lv 4 Fighters
    4 Lv 4 Clerics
    4 Lv 2/2/2 Fighter/Mage/Thieves
    1 Lv 4/7 Fighter/Mage
    1 Lv 5 Fighter
    1 Lv 6 Fighter
    1 Lv 7 Cleric

That's A LOT of magic items. I counted, I believe it's anywhere from 0 to 125 magical items.

For an adventurer band, you have between 2-8 members, and:
    Fighters roll for 5 items
    Mages roll for 4 items
    Clerics roll for 6 items
    Thieves roll for 6 items
    They also all have minor treasure in the form of gems and/or gold

This means a single band of 6 adventurers could easily have 10+ magic items, and the number literally ranges from 0 magic items to 48 magic items in an adventurer group of 8.
    Post edited by fighter_mage_thief on
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012

What is even more remarkable about this is that in canon Amn magic is illegal! The Amnian culture has very deep prejudices towards arcane magic. There is a black market for magic items, and plenty of corruption by officials, such that magical items can be obtained if the right palms are greased and it's all hush hush. But to be outed as a mage would definitely result in the person being socially ostracized (which is a terrible consequence, as Amnians are heavily into social status). There's a secret organization called the Cowled Wizards which promotes the study and practice of wizardry totally underground, but it's not really the one we see in the game.

But anyway, according to canon it would be preposterous to see merchants openly selling powerful magical items in Athkatla (or anywhere else, but especially there.)

The game play just gets ridiculously high in SoA and ToB. I'm not saying it isn't fun. It is! But there's a point at which magic items lose what makes them special to begin with if you're swimming in them.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    I think their pet peeve is more about public displays of magic, rather than just the use of magic in general. The Cowled Wizards automatically assume that any magic use outside is intended to intimidate people, and dammit that's THEIR job! So they only get mad when you terk der jerb!!
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416

Items are fine as is. Gold is fine as is.

QUIT TRYIN'NA CHANGE MY 15 YEAR OLD GAME!

I second this notion.

• KaxonKaxon Member Posts: 156
    I like having some powerful items in shops like the Adventurer's Mart. It's good to have some use for the gold you accumulate, and it's also cool to be able to see expensive stuff early on and try to decide which item you want to get once you scrape together enough money.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318

I think their pet peeve is more about public displays of magic, rather than just the use of magic in general. The Cowled Wizards automatically assume that any magic use outside is intended to intimidate people, and dammit that's THEIR job! So they only get mad when you terk der jerb!!

Oh I know about what they are in-game, but I'm talking about what Amn is supposed to be like per canon, i.e., from Lands of Intrigue and Empires of the Sands.
  • jpierce55jpierce55 Member Posts: 86
    FR is a land full of powerful magic. Wealthy vendors are going to have powerful items, esp. in a place like Athkatla, Trademeet, or Baldur's Gate. The IWD side of the story may be a little more difficult to justify, BUT, keep in mind these are tough people toughing it out in a harsh environment. They are not hunting polar worms with butter knifes!
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    jpierce55 said:

They are not hunting polar worms with butter knifes!

The badass ones are!
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    Tanthalas said:

jpierce55 said:

The badass ones are!
    The badass ones hunt polar worms barehanded, everybody knows that :D
    To reply to @HaHaCharade: yes, I found it confusing sometimes that you have such powerful items in a small town like Targos, but you have to consider they were under siege and the game explains they've been asking allies for troops and support (which includes of course, magical items). Plus, you can always think that part of the merchants that sold the stuff came to Targos because of the war: war can bring big wealth to the ones that can exploit it. On the other hand, Thunderhammer in Beregost tells you plain and clear: buznez 'az been pretty poor, wit' th' iron shortage, ya know....

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Keep as is...

It is obvious if a vendor is selling magic equipment, it is because some guy like the CHARNAME has sold his magic stuff beforehand. The vendor now has to sell it on (as the good middle man he is) at a profit.

Why do people see this as wrong? Supermarkets buy milk from farmers all the time and sell it for a profit? Now if a famers sold magic milk. Supermarkets would still buy it and sell it on.

WHATS THE PROBLEM?

"Has that magic milk the farmer sold been tested for quality and undergone rigourus hygene tests?"
    *THUNK*
    Whiner - Dead
    3xp
    "Do you have that Magic Milk in 2%?"
    "Only skim."
    "Pass."
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Tanthalas said:

jpierce55 said:

The badass ones are!
    And then there are the even badder-ass oldtimers... "You have a butterknife? You lucky pansy-ass! When I was young, we used to hunt them with our teeth! You young kids are so SOFT these days!" ;)