Skip to content

What is your favourite cleric kit ?

DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
I love the idea of pure clerics, but i cant choose, what is your experience of clerics, what is the most fun, strong etc.
  1. What is your favourite cleric kit ?62 votes
    1. Kitless Cleric
        0.00%
    2. Cleric of Talos
        9.68%
    3. Cleric of Helm
      11.29%
    4. Cleric of Lathander
      24.19%
    5. Cleric of Tyr
        8.06%
    6. Multiclassed or dual classed if none of them
      46.77%

Comments

• JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    I'll admit to being a sucker for Helm. Even after having to deal with a certain group of Helmites in Neverwinter Nights. Being able to pull a bastard sword out of no where when spellcasting isn't needed is just plain awesome.

Plus props have to be given to the one god who actually was trusted enough to remain a god through the Times of Trouble.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    There is no Cleric of Mystra, Cleric of Gond or Cleric of Oghma. So none from the above. And I'm not okay with dual classing either.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Not voting for multi/dual because it's the obvious choice. Out of single-class Cleric kits, Lathander is likely the best.
  • HoopleDoopleHoopleDoople Member Posts: 23
    If I have a character restricted to blunt weapons I'm going to give them the best ones (Flail of Ages and Crom Faeyr) rather than have a character with sub-par weaponry. But such great weapons feel kind of wasted on a pure Cleric, so I much prefer a Ranger/Cleric or Fighter/Cleric.

If forced to take pure Cleric the Priest of Talos is the one I've enjoyed most, even if it isn't the most powerful.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Because we can't be a cleric of Moradin I vote for multiclass
  • dracostrikedracostrike Member Posts: 151
    Helm is what I prefer :) Particularly since I just did a Cleric/thief run and a backstabbing Seeking Sword is perfect for them :D Ever seen a fanatic yelling "For the Great Guard!" as he rips through shadows and fiends, literally seething with holy might?
    (I know that a dual-class but the sword element made it so perfect that I just loved this kit so much afterwards!)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2016
    Well since you didn't specify the BG series (and put this in general)...I'm going with Tempos

(I'll have none of that "Tempus" those southerners are selling)
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Clerics are alright by themselves, but they are way better when multi- or dual-classed with Fighter just because they get so many self-buffs that benefit greatly from the Fighter's higher number of attacks/round.

Also cleric/mages are the kings of spellcasting.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    Tempos is where it's at!
  • znancekivellznancekivell Member Posts: 58
    Cleric/Mage for me. I want all the powers.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Priest of Tempus, especially for roleplaying reasons. I really want to see this kit added to BG as well :)
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    All these Tempus players remind me that I need to actually play Icewind Dale EE. I bought it the same time as both Baldur's Gate EEs, after all.

Maybe I'll consider Tempus. I'll also admit to being somewhat fond of Gods of War and clerics with the War Domain in later editions.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited April 2016
    Looking at stats, seems like powers of Tyr are better than Lathander due to scaling hit and damage bonuses for Tyr vs an extra attack and +1 to hit/damage for Lathander
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211

Looking at stats, seems like powers of Tyr are better than Lathander due to scaling hit and damage bonuses for Tyr vs an extra attack and +1 to hit/damage for Lathander

APR scales with your weapon and STR stat, while dmg/thac0 bonus scales with your APR - however, as a Cleric you have very little ways to actually increase APR, but you have several ways to increase STR (and the quality of your weapon).

If you hit for an average of 20 damage per hit on 2 APR, going to 3 APR is a 50% increase in damage output (40->60). You would need level 60 to get the same damage from the Tyr kit bonus (+1 every 3 levels). Even accounting for THAC0, it's not hard to see that APR is better in the majority of scenarios.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    A cleric's greatest weakness is its low APR. Clerics of Lathander and Helm can both increase it with their special abilities, but the Cleric of Lathander can do so with any weapon, without losing their spellcasting abilities.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

APR scales with your weapon and STR stat, while dmg/thac0 bonus scales with your APR - however, as a Cleric you have very little ways to actually increase APR, but you have several ways to increase STR (and the quality of your weapon).

If you hit for an average of 20 damage per hit on 2 APR, going to 3 APR is a 50% increase in damage output (40->60). You would need level 60 to get the same damage from the Tyr kit bonus (+1 every 3 levels). Even accounting for THAC0, it's not hard to see that APR is better in the majority of scenarios.
    thanks I didn't notice the 2 round duration either on Tyr. Yikes.
    After reading the thread by @Wowo over on the IWD forum, Lathander sounds pretty awesome to me. Priest of Tempos is still superior to the civilized gods, but Lathander is pretty cool too ;)

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/51414/priest-of-lathander-29-mage-30-solo-hof-summary
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    NG cleric with the Lathander kit is is the only single-class cleric playthrough I've ever done of BG/BG2, so I'm biased, it was so much more fun than cleric/mage plus it was super fun to grab the Cleric Stronghold and feel like "YES, THIS IS MY DESTINY!!"
  • marzbarzmarzbarz Member Posts: 187
    The one that's not on the list lol, Ilmater. But really I never felt like the cleric kits offered much more than a reason why your a cleric/the abilities I rarely looked into when I played one.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Lightning and thunder on you, heathens!
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Talos if I have to pick a kit.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I like to roleplay my cleric/thief half-orcs as priests of Shargaas, the Orc deity of night and undead. That dude is so much more charismatic than Mask. And don't get me started with the mask of Mask nonsense.

Out of the vanilla kits I like Talos the most. After all his followers own a monopol for electric sockets. Just look at their stronghold for instance!
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Gods should've been a feature, not a kit, and be available to all clerics and maybe all divine worship classes?
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    True Necromancer of Velsharoon or Kiaranasalee! (Cleric/Mage)
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Something very badass about Helm to me... all indignant fury and righteous wrath.
    If I'm gonna be smiting, I wanna smite with the might of a practiced smiter!
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gv9LSDEnXGk

@abacus your post made me think of this.
  • AriusArius Member Posts: 92
    Tyr just to take away the charm and other BS of your group when spell casters play nasty.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    I like the lathander boon its a great ability, and the seeking sword-true sight combo from helm cleric. I cant choose between them.
  • kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    All pure clerics seems weak to me. Small number of useful spells, and all are very situational and can be replaced by potions.
    So, Ranger\Cleric for the president!