Skip to content

There will be a twitch session with Trent and Phillip on Thursday, April, 21

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    - new UI allows us to do thinks fundementally impossible in the original game
    edited April 2016
    -relatively easy to make photorealistic isometric art style but frustrating to to sort of down grade and match it to original 1998 games
    Trent
    -UI engine still a little difficult to work with
    -will have to either roll IE forward in a fundamentally big way for future projects or just start over from scratch
    - BG was as close to 2ed as any D&D game that has ever been made .a new engine will have to be just as close to whatever edition when write (probably 5ed)
    - D&D is really not a good ruleset for a diablo type action game
    - more tactical and thoughtful game like bg is better suited to the rules.
    - Have good relationship with WOTC. Trent and Phil are definitely rule nerds
    Some really good design philosophy discussions which you should totally watch the vod for because I cant summarise on here
    Trent- Diseased gibberlings were originally created because gibberlings were too tough as soon as you left candlekeep
    - kobald commandos AI was so effective at killing you that they had to scale it back
    edited April 2016
    Phil : Trent is very similar in personality to dorn since he is actually a mass murder who is wanted in several provinces and states

-Romances in games and the whole dating sim thing is not necessarry to create good RPGs
    -I think cheese is ok. it's outsmarting the designer
    Phil: My favourite game of the last 10 years is FTL (faster than light)
    -Permadeath is not for everyone, but I personally love games like that
  • HeavylineHeavyline Member Posts: 108
    ajwz said:

Trent:
    -GOG and Beamdog promote it well, kind of buried on steam since it is listed as DLC

I can't help but to question Beamdog's decision to release "Siege of Dragonspear" as DLC/Expansion instead of stand-alone game. SoD was large enough to be a game of it's own, instead of being "just a dlc". With +20 hours of content and so on.

It's good that GOG at least promoted it someway. But the sale losses on largest digital distribution platform for PC gaming was kind of their own fault. Iam sorry.
  • HeavylineHeavyline Member Posts: 108
    @typo_tilly

Ah, my bad! I wasn't aware of the license agreement. I misunderstood that it was just something they decided to go with it. Thanks for clearing that out!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.