Skip to content

[Resolved] Save bug

Smrtka666Smrtka666 Member Posts: 24
edited May 2016 in Troubleshooting
Hi, I have applied the update for BG Siege of Dragonspear and after that I cannot save anything, how can I fix the bug? The game always crashes...
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    What kind of computer & OS are you playing on? Which store did you buy the game from? Check the documents folder and do the following:
    * If there is a link file called "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition", delete it
    * If there is a folder called "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition", rename it
    * If there isn't either of the above, create a "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" folder

Let us know if this helps.
  • Smrtka666Smrtka666 Member Posts: 24
    Windows 8.1 x64, on Dell Alienware 17... I bought the game on Beamdog..
    Should I rename the folder to what name?
    You can just put an X on the end. That will let the game create a new data folder.
    It changed the game a little bit, it created the new folder, I tried to move the saved game there and it crashed again...
    edited April 2016
    Are you back to crashing when you save?
    Yes...
    even when I create a new game, it wants to create a new save and crashes...
    edited April 2016
    try deleting the new BG:EE folder, let the game create a new one, save a game, then copy the contents of your save folder into the new save folder. (Do not copy the save folder itself)
    I deleted the folder 00806, which contained the game, re-downloaded, the problem is still there, when I created a new MP game, it wanted to create the first autosave and crashed again...
    My apologies - I'm talking about the "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" folder in your documents directory.

There appears to be an issue on some systems that the game cannot write to that folder (or its sub-folders) and this causes the game to crash.

Renaming the "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" folder allows the game to create a new folder, and whatever is wrong about the old folder, is not wrong with the new folder.

When you copy the save folder from the old folder to the new folder, the problem comes with the save folder.

If you copy the save games into the save folder in the new (or sodsave for Siege of Dragonspear) "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" folder, those saves might be read only, but you should be able to load them and create new save games.

Can you right-click on the (or sodsave for Siege of Dragonspear), choose properties, security. Then do the same thing for your old Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition folder. Put the two windows side-by-side and take a screen shot.

Thanks for your patience!

BGEE.jpg 396.9K
    edited April 2016
    is it what you need? The left side displays the current folder, the right the backup saves...
    What I'm looking at is the permissions, and they look the same. Have a look down the users (especially the one you log in with) and make sure they have the same checkmarks in the bottom pane. Do the same with the Save folder in each.
    edited April 2016
    all users including me have all possible permissions. It can be useful, I am facing the same issue with BG2 EE after the update today... Yesterday, I normally played...
    Were you running 2.0 or 1.3 yesterday?
    I am not sure about the version, but yesterday without the update, today I saw the possible updates, so I did them and then tried to play... I presume, yesterday, it was the version I downloaded immediately after release of the game...
    Let me know if what I suggested works:
    1) Delete the new "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" folder
    2) Create a new game and save it
    3) Copy the contents of save (not the folder itself) from the old folder to the new folder
    4) Load one of your old save games
    5) Save it with a different name
    I deleted the folder, I can create a new game but it never starts as it wants to save a prologue save and it crashes during saving...
    can you go into Documents/Infinity Engine - Enhanced Edition/crash and zip up the dump file and post it here? If it is too big, you can create a ticket in redmine and post it there (see below).

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49845/how-to-report-bugs#latest
    Bug #22794, is that ok?
    I'm not seeing the dump file - can you try attaching it again?
    dump.2.1.63.2.0012.zip uploaded...
    I must have archived it...
    We're having a look - thanks!
    any update?
  • Nummer5Nummer5 Member Posts: 6
    Same Issue for me with BG2:EE

Win 7- Steam Version
    Let me know if a dupfile from another user would help you (send me a mail)
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    edited April 2016
    @Nummer5 if you could zip and attach (drop into the leave a comment box) a save and a 2nd file with a zip of the latest crash. Could you also advise if you are using single player or multiplayer, and whether you have anything in the game override folder. & if you are using a language in-game other than English.

@Smrtka666 you said this was multiplayer. Is single player working? & when you created a new game was it with a newly-rolled character or an import from save/character file. & if you are using a language in-game other than English.
    Thanks
    Single plyer normally works. In MP I created completely new party with newly-rolled characters, no pre-created ones. I am using the Czech language, in single player it normally works...
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Can you try a multiplayer game in English please, to determine if it is http://support.baldursgate.com/issues/22836
    Thanks
    a new game in EN is possible to save...