Skip to content

I won't use Steam ever again

WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
edited September 2012 in Off-Topic
I am sad because I paid $30 for Stronghold 3 Gold and, being a Steam noob, I found their service to be one of the most obnoxious I've ever used. This is a reply to all the people who want BGEE on Steam.

Let me start from the beginning. I was never interested in Steam because of the DRM so I didn't investigate. I once bought a copy of Majesty Gold HD from GamersGate, the only other place to get it was Steam. GamersGate offered a no DRM copy of the game which I was able to freely use with no strings attached, similar to GoG.com, with a little installer of my own.

Because they trusted me I bought their game and I have enjoyed the fact that I own it very much. I expect to do business with them again soon.

Now let's talk about Steam for a moment. I didn't investigate it, so buying S3 I assumed that I owned it since I bought the hard copy and thought the Steam DRM only applied for their downloads.

When I tried to install the game I was faced with quite a harsh licensing agreement which told me, this being a not word for word quote, "You are entitled to the use of one copy of the Product". Hence, I don't own the game, I only own the right to play the game.

Do you people not think that is scary? That we no longer own the right to use the hard product freely, but legally, even when we buy the disk? We only own the entitlement to play it, we have no rights to use the product itself and unassociated with Steam.

So not only was I forced to have my privacy invaded by installing a 3rd party program I didn't want and sign up for something I wasn't planning to use again, but Steam installed itself into so many directories and the game ate up so much space which is now irrecoverable due to the sparseness of where it put the files.

Furthurmore, Steam installed various Microsoft related updates which I did NOT give any permission and without my consent. Normally games will ask you if you want to download Acrobat, DirectX or whatever, but Steam just installed whatever it 'THOUGHT' I needed to run S3.

Maybe I already had these programs, maybe I didn't want them updated, either way Valve have no right to install software on my computer without my authorization.

And get this. I can't even access the game outside Steam. I can play it offline, but Steam and S3 are linked in every single way and S3 is installed in it's directory instead of an individual one. You can't access the main program .exe and the only means to run the game is through a Steam weblink which is attached to the program itself I guess.

I will never deal with Steam again, their service is horrible and they scare me with their totalitarian control over my gaming for I will not stand it again!

Comments

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    This should have been in off topic. @Tanthalas pl0x can you move it?
  • ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
    Personally I have never had a problem with Steam, overall I have found it easy to use and non-invasive. You only ever purchase a license to use the program, nothing more. I do understand people that are anti steam, origin, etc though.
    edited September 2012
    @ginger_hammer You are right, I don't purchase the rights to the game per say, but I do purchase the contents of the game, to install the game with no background noises, to use the product without 3rd party accounts or programs.

When I buy an old game nobody can control my usage of it and I will not betray their trust (or lack of technology, I'm sure they would of been dictators like Valve if they could).

My usage can be anywhere from multiple installations on one computer to mod or to have different versions, to access the game files for my own personal non commercial use (to get music, to get saved games or to mod) and I can use the product without companies bullying me.

One of the oldest and most reasonable of DRMs, the 'CD required' thing, as well as the popular CD key, were very reasonable and functionable protections. But making me do what Steam wants is not cool.

...and please don't even get me started on Blizzard with Diablo III. ;)
    edited September 2012
    Also I should let you guys know, I will be checking the packaging of games very carefully now. It says in little tiny writing on Stronghold 3 that you need Steam to activate it.

Well that isn't nice. It should tell you in huge writing. They remind me of those commercials where they put an * on the end of something and then give you vital information you can't read.

As for Stronghold 3, first impressions are not good.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    This whole concept that we never really own the software now really pisses me off. I suppose I'm from another age, when a copy of the software was yours forever. At least there are alternatives to STEAM.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    You never really "own" the game, not even when you buy it with a box. You own the copy of it. The copyrights and ALL of the game is owned only by the maker, publisher, whatever. That's as far as I could have gathered.

If you really OWNED the game, then you could have sold it yourself, something that, with the current rules, is kind of illegal.

I believe it's also illegal to share (that definitely) or lend the game (to friends even) as far as I know.
    Is someone informed on the subject better than I am? I might be tossing around a bunch of lies for all I know, but I believe someone that actually does read the terms of service of video game explained this to me once in one or the other gaming forum.

That said... I have 67 games on Steam XD (of which around 99% are bought through deals)
  • vorticanvortican Member Posts: 206
    This really needs to be in the DRM thread. If you guys haven't read it, there's some really good information there about these topics and Steam. We've covered a lot there, including most of this argument.
  • WonderviceWondervice Member Posts: 56
    You do not own a game you bought on STEAM, that is true.
    You own the right to play that game. And you will be able too. Valve has so far been very very cautious to never alienate their player base, and provides an excellent service.
    You are able top purchase, install and update your games trough a non invasive, easy to manage, platform. You are also able to purchase a lot of games at very low prices, and you can be sure that they will work because of the excellent custumer suport.
    You have to decideyourself wether or not it is worth it.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I only buy games from steam when they are exceptionally cheap, and when I do if they have annoying conditions they throw on me so be it. It comes with purchasing the product. The only time I can say I've been bugged by it is when you are expected to install something else along with the games, like GFWL.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I'd say that's less a problem with Steam, @Ward, and more a problem with Stronghold 3. When you purchase a game through the Steam client, you're agreeing to their terms, so if you're going that route you should know what kind of agreement you're getting into.

For a game from a boxed version to require the use of that client, though, seems underhanded. I'm all for digital rights management when it comes to digital purchases, but when I have a physical copy of the game, I really ought to be able to use it at my own discretion.

@vortican's right, though, that the broader discussion has been largely covered in the DRM thread over under the Windows subforum.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    Almost all games and software usage is based on being licensed to use the product, you don't own it.
  • triclops41triclops41 Member Posts: 207
    I look at Steam as the least bad alternative in DRM, because it is. I also expect steam to be a better model for keeping pc games compatible with future OSes than hoping for an "xp compatibility" mode in windows 8,9,etc.
    Also, Steam has historically been a safer repository for my games than my desk or closet :(
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I try to avoid Steam whenever I can. Sometimes I have no choice, like Skyrim, DEHR, or New Vegas.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    If there's a version other than Steam such as GOG, I will buy the other version even if it's ten times more than the price of Steam. I have the money so I don't mind paying more for a Steam Free version.

I only have 6 games that are locked into Steam and that's because I had no choice in the matter because there was no alternative. eg. Fallout NV. If I could somehow remove Steam, I would.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Steam is awesome. I own probably 300ish games on it.

People throw the term "DRM" out there without really understanding what it means. I bet half the people who are super against DRM couldn't even tell you what the acronym stands for. Literally every game you own in a purely digital format has DRM on it, including GoG versions. They claim to be DRM free, but that's just not true. It's just minimal.

That's how I feel about the majority of games through Steam. It's minimally invasive. The games that go out of their way to be a hassle are still a hassle on Steam, or in a box format, or from any other digital download service. It doesn't have an online-always DRM. You just need to be logged into Steam, even if it is in it's offline version. I'm okay with that. It's generally way cheaper than anywhere else, and the automatic updater is really handy. Their downloads are generally quicker than anywhere else because they have such massive servers.

And to top it off, GabeN has stated in multiple outlets they have failsafes in place in case Valve should somehow go out of business. Can't say that about a lot of other digital download services.
  • _Q__Q_ Member Posts: 48
    edited September 2012
    @Ward: That sounds pretty terrible. I was annoyed about Baldur's Gate EE's DRM to the point where I almost cancelled my pre-order, but my love for the original BG won out in the end. However, if Beamdog required a client to play I think I really would have cancelled.

@sandmanCCL: I don't think you know what DRM means. GOG games really are DRM free. I think GOG might sell a small number of games with CD keys (like Neverwinter Nights), but other than that, GOG games really are DRM free. You can download the installation files, makes as many backups as you want, install the games on as many computers as you want and you never have to deal with clients, online authentication, CD checks, or any other hassles.
    Post edited by _Q_ on

If you really OWNED the game, then you could have sold it yourself, something that, with the current rules, is kind of illegal.

Actually, you can sell games you've bought. Haven't you ever been to a Gamestop? Amazon? Ebay? A yard sale?

You have the legal right to sell a game or any other type of media that you legally own even if you do not own the copyright for it. This is known as the first-sale doctrine and it's a well established aspect of copyright law.
    @_Q_ It means digital rights management. The fact you have to go download it to begin with is inherently a DRM mechanic. It's just that's the end all, be all of GoG's DRM. Which is pretty awesome, and I'm a fan of theirs.

Steam's DRM is purely that you have to log in to Steam to access your games. That's it. That is the only DRM for Steam, period. Now, there might be games on it where you have limited installations, but that would be the same if you got it directly from that developer. That's on that specific game itself and is not because of the client through which you downloaded it.

@Ward 's problem with Stronghold 3 limiting him to one installation is Stronghold 3. It is not Steam's fault. In fact, Steam has ways built into it in which he could easily rescind that installment and then put it on a different computer.

I am not pro-DRM, mind you. Just saying most people see those letters and start frothing at the mouth without really understanding it. I am totally for game companies putting DRM in their games, as long as it doesn't make the legit consumers suffer. I respect people's rights to make their programs as difficult as possible to pirate, but once they cross the line where people who legitimately paid for it start to suffer, I'm not a fan.

Diablo 3 is a good case in point. Making it online-always sucks ass. Everyone I know has times their internet goes down for a couple days, or even just a few hours. They should still be able to enjoy that game single-player.
    edited September 2012

@_Q_ It means digital rights management. The fact you have to go download it to begin with is inherently a DRM mechanic.

That doesn't make any sense. Requiring someone to download the installation file for a game is not a form of DRM. The game has to get on your computer somehow in order for you to be able to use it. DRM is about restricting when and how you install and run a program after it is already in your possession.

Steam's DRM is purely that you have to log in to Steam to access your games. That's it. That is the only DRM for Steam, period.

You don't have to explain Steam to me. I'm already familiar with it and after my experience with it in the past, I will never install it on another computer that I own ever.
    Guys, do we really need another 25-page thread about this? The DRM thread has already covered all of this (some of it numerous times).
    edited September 2012

It means digital rights management. The fact you have to go download it to begin with is inherently a DRM mechanic. It's just that's the end all, be all of GoG's DRM. Which is pretty awesome, and I'm a fan of theirs.

GOG has no DRM. The medium of which you receive the game isn't DRM. I download a game from a site isn't DRM. I receive a game in the post isn't DRM. In both examples, I have a copy of the game. I can then burn that copy from GOG on a CD and keep it on a shelf for the rest of my life and install it anytime I wan't and don't have to be online to install it. I can install and play whenever I like. If I buy a new computer, I can install it again.

Steam's DRM is purely that you have to log in to Steam to access your games. That's it. That is the only DRM for Steam, period.

Thank you for confirming Steam is DRM.
    Post edited by Metal_Hurlant on
    There is also a thread about Steam...

Here's the link to the Steam thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1733/will-bgee-be-available-on-steam

And here's the link to the DRM thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/2254/drm
    I never said it wasn't DRM. I was saying it wasn't very invasive DRM. It doesn't require you to even log in to Steam's servers. You simply need the app open on your machine when trying to run any game installed through it.

I am okay with this.

I respect the right of game companies to protect their product to the best of their abilities as long as it doesn't harm the consumer's ability to enjoy said game. Considering how massive Steam has become, I'm not going out on a limb to say the consumer at large also has no problem with this.
  • DespotYetiDespotYeti Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2012
    I think many of you are confusing your definition of DRM versus sandmanCCL's usage of the term. DRM literally stands for "Digital Rights Management" and is the really the way a company handles a digital product. Every digital product has a DRM, some merely have no anti-piracy measures while others do.
    edited September 2012

I think many of you are confusing your definition of DRM versus sandmanCCL's usage of the term. DRM literally stands for "Digital Rights Management" and is the really the way a company handles a digital product. Every digital product has a DRM, some merely have no anti-piracy measures while others do.

Perhaps looking at the definition?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

"Digital rights management (DRM) is a class of access control technologies that are used by hardware manufacturers, publishers, copyright holders and individuals with the intent to limit the use of digital content and devices after sale."

If I buy Torchlight from a shop. Does it have DRM? No. Because it doesn't limit the use of the content after I have bought it.

I walk out of the shop, go home, I can install it without an internet connection and I don't need a third party program to install it either. I can install it on multiple computers. If I buy a new computer, it doesn't limit the use of the installation. I can install and play today, same with installing/playing next year, 5 years later, 10 years later, etc.

It's the same with games from GOG. There is no DRM. I can do the same with my Torchlight example above. Get a copy of the game and do as I please.

And to say with Steam, it's not 'very invasive' is still invasive. To argue degrees of something is less or more invasive doesn't get around the fact that it still is invasive.

So all those thousands of people on ebay selling hundreds of thousands of used video games are breaking the law. :/

And to say with Steam, it's not 'very invasive' is still invasive. To argue degrees of something is less or more invasive doesn't get around the fact that it still is invasive.

You have a point? There's a lot of invasive things we choose to live with, and a lot of things we all seem to make our own personal acceptances with.

Let's look at society at large. Most people agree Government has some role in their life, right? We're okay with paying taxes. It pays for our roads, police, etc.

But Government can also spy on you, or move you out of your home if they are going to build a highway there, or a billion other things people are generally NOT okay with.

Let me tell you all a little personal story about why I like Steam and why I don't automatically assume all DRM are evil:

After every game I had ever, ever owned and most my old consoles were destroyed when my basement flooded, I started to turn to digital download services. The only games I had once the problem was solved and I finally got a new machine were on Steam. I've since had burglaries and other natural disasters occur which have destroyed my property, but I still own (or if you want to get super technical about it, own the limited license to play) every game I've ever purchased on Steam.

DRM is not inherently evil. It's only as "evil" as the company that runs it. If you don't trust Valve, and you feel like they will deny you the service you've paid for? By all means, avoid Steam. I've had nothing but exceptional experiences dealing with them, though, and owning digital copies of my games through a service like Steam has significantly increase my peace of mind when it comes to continuing having access to my games.

I don't expect everyone to be okay with it! I totally understand why there are people who want hard copies and theoretical unlimited access to the games they purchase! But I think those people should understand the flip side. There are legitimate reasons DRM exists. There is some legitimate consumer value in it. Can it go too far? Yes. If I really wanted, I could name a number of games with overtly anti-customer DRM services. But at the end of the day, I believe Steam (and Origin and digital copies sold on Green Man Gaming and, and, and...) is not that bad. It's as minimally invasive as you can get and it provides a LOT of benefits in the process.
    *sigh* I can't believe I'm doing this, but okay...

Perhaps looking at the definition?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

"Digital rights management (DRM) is a class of access control technologies that are used by hardware manufacturers, publishers, copyright holders and individuals with the intent to limit the use of digital content and devices after sale."

If I buy Torchlight from a shop. Does it have DRM? No. Because it doesn't limit the use of the content after I have bought it.
    First of all, you're quoting Wikipedia to argue definitions, which is just a little bit of a faux pas.

But let's look at what's actually said there. "limit the use of digital content and devices after sale."

After sale.

So if you buy Torchlight from GOG.com, the sale is complete when you give them your money. They then send you a link to download the game--or, if you have an account with them, you can download it from your account page. (They'll also give you a Steam key if you want to sync it with your Steam library, which is a nice added feature).

The "intent to limit the use of digital content" is implicit in the fact that you have to log into your email or log into your GOG.com account in order to download and access the content you purchased. If you delete the game from your computer and want to download it again, you have to go to that same email or log into GOG.com again to do so.

Why do you have to log in? Why can't you just go to their website as a guest and just download everything you want? Because they want to make sure you paid for the game.

That's digital rights management. And it's important, because it's what allows the sale to happen in the first place. GOG.com has a product that you want; they restrict your access to that product until you prove to them that you have paid them for that product.

So, by its very (wikipedia) definition, @sandmanCCL is correct. GOG.com does use DRM. The fact that it is incredibly minimal is a good thing. But DRM is a part of digitally distributed media. It's inexorable. You have to have it, because it's the only way that the digital market can work.

The difference between venues is where that DRM exists, and how deeply it impacts the user's experience. A lot of people like Steam, while a lot of others think that requiring a client to run all of your games is too invasive. I happen to like it, because of the other features that it offers. I like being able to know when a game I want is on sale, and I like being able to chat with my friends using a voice chat that actually works better than some in-game voice chats.

When a game purchased from a retail store has DRM, the entire purpose of DRM breaks down. Because it's supposed to be there as a way to prove that the sale has happened--but in the case of a physical product, the proof is in the receipt. So there's no need for an activation server or a DRM client.

All of this (and I mean, all of it, capital, underscore, bold, ALL of it) has been discussed at length in the threads I linked to above.

I don't mean to discourage the discussion, but can we maybe do it in the threads that already exist?
    edited September 2012

You have a point? There's a lot of invasive things we choose to live with, and a lot of things we all seem to make our own personal acceptances with.

Let's look at society at large. Most people agree Government has some role in their life, right? We're okay with paying taxes. It pays for our roads, police, etc.

You're comparing DRM on a video game to a Government of a country? Wow. Talk about comparing apples to oranges. They are so completely different that words fail me.

The rest of your post is a justifcation on why you like DRM. Just because you like it doesn't mean everybody has to.

edited September 2012
    Aosaw said:

*sigh* I can't believe I'm doing this, but okay...

*sigh*. If it's so much trouble then why respond? I don't get it.
    Aosaw said:

First of all, you're quoting Wikipedia to argue definitions, which is just a little bit of a faux pas.

But let's look at what's actually said there. "limit the use of digital content and devices after sale."

If it's such a faux pas, then why are you using the same definition? Why don't you use the correct definition if there is one? Bit of a double standard to criticise me in using the wikipedia definition when you yourself are now using it.

Aosaw said:

The "intent to limit the use of digital content" is implicit in the fact that you have to log into your email or log into your GOG.com account in order to download and access the content you purchased. If you delete the game from your computer and want to download it again, you have to go to that same email or log into GOG.com again to do so.

Logging into a website is now classed as DRM? Didn't see that one coming.
    Aosaw said:

Why do you have to log in? Why can't you just go to their website as a guest and just download everything you want? Because they want to make sure you paid for the game.

Why do you have to go to a shop and buy a hard copy? Because they want to make sure you paid for the game. Why do you have to go to a flea market or garage sale and buy a hard copy? Because they want to make sure you paid for the game. Why do you have to log into a website like EB Games for them to post the game out to you? Because they wan't to make sure you paid for the game. It's not DRM.

Aosaw said:

That's digital rights management. And it's important, because it's what allows the sale to happen in the first place. GOG.com has a product that you want; they restrict your access to that product until you prove to them that you have paid them for that product.

No it's not. It's not DRM.
    Aosaw said:

So, by its very (wikipedia) definition, @sandmanCCL is correct. GOG.com does use DRM. The fact that it is incredibly minimal is a good thing. But DRM is a part of digitally distributed media. It's inexorable. You have to have it, because it's the only way that the digital market can work.

Again, logging into websites is not DRM. Logging into ebay to buy a used game is not DRM. Similarly, logging into GOG to buy a game is not DRM.
    Aosaw said:

When a game purchased from a retail store has DRM, the entire purpose of DRM breaks down. Because it's supposed to be there as a way to prove that the sale has happened--but in the case of a physical product, the proof is in the receipt. So there's no need for an activation server or a DRM client.

When a sale has happened, eg, people selling their games at a flea market or garage sale, it's not because of DRM.

Perhaps Tanthalus can merge this thread into the DRM thread.