Skip to content

I won't use Steam ever again

13»

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Aosaw said:

Why would the Lego stormtroopers DO that?

Obviously it was because their blaster fire was clumsy :)
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    LOL. It's beating a dead horse!
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389

*beats head against desk* There's no reasoning with your pro-DRM zealots.

Yes, because I am so pro-DRM. I haven't said a single thing contrary to that. /sarcasm

Thanks for not reading a damn thing either I or Aosaw has said. Good day to you, troll.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited September 2012
    @Totenglocke I've already told you people that companies like Valve are unfairly and unnecessarily limiting their products. To protect their rights they do not need to do what they're doing.

So stop busting my balls and find another thread to cause unwanted disturbance on. That goes to the rest of you bickering children as well. If I was pro DRM I would've have made this damn thread.

Yes Valve ARE bad people trying to compromise our rights as customers and, just like Blizzard, never will get another coin from this guy. If ten years ago DRM was practical like copy protection was, they'd just do the same thing. Technology limited their assholinessness guys.

@reedmilfam Why is this happening????????
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited September 2012
    @Ward I still think your beef should be with Stronghold 3 rather than Valve. Valve has its business model, with which you might not agree (and which is kind of brilliantly sinister, it works so well for them), but they didn't force Stronghold 3 to be a Steam exclusive; that was the decision of S3's development and publishing team.

So while I understand your frustration with Steam's client mucking with your system against your will, most of the people who use Steam for themselves have either not had the problems with lost functionality you're experiencing or they've dealt with them and recovered from it.

Valve has a very simple business model: "make the most money." To do this, they provide a service that people find valuable. As a result, people buy most of their games through Steam, both to consolidate their libraries and to support a development team they believe in. Apple users are exactly the same. This doesn't mean Apple is evil, or that Steam is intentionally compromising consumers' rights "just because". They're doing something that results in compromised rights because that thing helps them do what they do better.

Is it somewhat problematic? Sure. But if you're coming into the Steam client not because it's your only option but because it's the option you like best, you've already committed to jumping through a few of those hoops.

It sounds like Stronghold 3 is forcing you to jump through hoops you didn't realize you'd have to jump through, and making you pay the price for something you didn't agree to when you bought the product. And that sucks.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @Ward - it's a graphical representation of a figure of speech. Beating a dead horse is going on and on about something. The DRM discussion is a case in point. People rant on and on about it and add nothing new. Those opposed to it remain opposed, those in favor remain un-swayed, and yet...

Thump. Thump. Thump. The dead horse receives more beating.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited September 2012
    @Aosaw Valve lost my business, but don't think I'm letting Firefly off easy about this. It's just as much their fault for allowing their product to be lorded over and for releasing a hard DVD product without clear indication of the requirements to use it.

I'm not buying Stronghold Crusader 2. I should of realize they ruined the franchise at Stronghold 2.

@reedmilfam Over in Australia we call that chewing the fat. Because it goes on... on... on...
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Civility seems to be a lost art these days... *shakes head wearily*