Skip to content

Your greatest moment in Baldur's Gate?

FrostikenFrostiken Member Posts: 11
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
This has got to be mine:

http://i.imgur.com/bTV5V.jpg

Minsc got killed, so I raised him with a Rod of Resurrection. I forgot to reequip his weapons, and sent him right back into the fray.

The very first thing he did was 'go for the eyes' and cold-clock Firkraag with a single punch.

I paused the game and 'WTF'd' for a good minute.

My #2 moment - and only because I don't have proof, was when I finished Baldur's Gate 1 with the following in the log:

WILD SURGE: COW!
Cow: Mooooooooo!!!
Sarevok: Damage Taken (45)
Sarevok - Death
Post edited by Frostiken on

Comments

• FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    edited September 2012
    Vanilla BG1, solo'd Werewolf Isle with a druid. Gave up on that game when I levelled up and opened to add my lovely über power level 5 spells only to find....well....yeah.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I onced managed to tolerate Aerie in my party for the entire duration of the thieves guild quest before Edwin joined and beat her to death with his staff.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @ajwz you're a trooper!
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Firkraag... Tried Quivering Palm and the dragon swayed. I hit pause and realized that I was dead. My kids were all, "Dad, he's dead."

Me: What?

"You leveled up. See? It worked!"
  • DMZDMZ Member Posts: 39
    edited September 2012
    Hitting Sarevok with a single arrow of biting, after which said Sarevok died.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    When Xzar and Montaron were actually able to beat up Khalid and Jaheira...

Although that's probably because Montaron got a backstab in there...

Long story... >:)
  • EilerEiler Member Posts: 93
    edited September 2012
    I had something like #2 happen in a tabletop campaign during the final boss encounter.

One of the wild mages (we had 2 I think) ended up summoning a Rhino which my Ranger was able to direct towards a lich which ended up totally smashed by the Rhino.
    Frostiken said:

This has got to be mine:

http://i.imgur.com/bTV5V.jpg

Minsc got killed, so I raised him with a Rod of Resurrection. I forgot to reequip his weapons, and sent him right back into the fray.

The very first thing he did was 'go for the eyes' and cold-clock Firkraag with a single punch.

I paused the game and 'WTF'd' for a good minute.

My #2 moment - and only because I don't have proof, was when I finished Baldur's Gate 1 with the following in the log:

WILD SURGE: COW!
    Cow: Mooooooooo!!!
    Sarevok: Damage Taken (45)
    Sarevok - Death

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @Frostiken firkraag only did 20 damage to anomen? he usually does 70 or so damage to me ;), but my most favorable moment in bg1 was the first time i bought platemail and the large shield +1, i felt so invincible because i would spend countless money at temples healing and raising characters back from the dead, ah back in the days when i had no idea what i was doing, gooooooood times :)
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    I don't know about greatest, but certainly the most fun moment for me was playing a modded version of BG Tutu, for the first time, having Xzar and Edwin in my party constantly squabbling:

Xzar to Edwin: "But you're lying! You couldn't be thinking! I was thinking EVERYTHING! There's nothing left for you!"

Had me howling with laughter just before my naive, so far relatively good wild mage plummeted into darkness and evil by encountering the Dryad trying to protect her tree and Xzar going ballistic and imprisoning her in a jar.

Definitely my most unexpected development i'd faced and made the whole experience the most enjoyable i'd had since first playing the original game.

@Frostiken - damnit, i'll have to resurrect Laisha my wild mage at some point now, she'd REALLY want that killer cow! heh heh.
  • memnocmemnoc Member Posts: 1
    Great topic! Killing Firkraag is still one of my greatest gaming moments of all time, let alone BG moments.

I still loved visiting Baldur's Gate for the first time and being completely lost lol.

Also, in BG2 when you come out of the underdark and meet Drizzt's party, was so awesome. I ended up attacking and killing Drizzt to prove to my friend that I was the ultimate dual welding badass, buttttt was still a epic gaming moment.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I think the first time I killed a dragon. There is something rewarding about killing such a powerful beast especially when you are a new player.
  • SouldancertnSouldancertn Member Posts: 45
    On my second or third play through of BG2, Imoen wound up killing the Shadow Dragon with a Chromatic Orb. I didn't even believe it at first. So then when I faced Firkraag and tried it again, and succeeded, I started to doubt my Main's abilities when Imoen kept slaying dragons left and right.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    I loved the first time Monty and Xzar stopped and had a side conversation in BG1. I literally didn't know what was happening. Then I was like Holy Crap -- This is awesome!

Xzar: HaHAR there, Montaron! Quite the fight, eh chum?
    Montaron: My "equal" is a talent of many men: all of them fools.
  • KlonoaKlonoa Member Posts: 93
    On one of my earlier play BG2 throughs, so this was some years ago now...

Our party had just finished fighting, we had gotten hit but everyone was alive and good. I sorted out my inventory and noticed Minsc had gone a sickly green colour. "That's weird" I thought, then a few seconds later he just randomly exploded????

I've never ever had that happen again. I don't know if it was a glitch or something one of the ooze/puddings can do. I was just thanking my stars I hadn't quick saved yet because he was beyond raising from the dead. So weird.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    @Klonoa The green slimes are notorious for having an on-hit effect that will poison and then explode targets that fail their saves. Though I think they are more common in BG than BG2.
  • KlonoaKlonoa Member Posts: 93
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    @Klonoa yea I had that happen to Dyanheir last night while I was making my way to fight Sarevok. One of the slimes hit her, the next thing I know she's exploded.
  • FrostikenFrostiken Member Posts: 11
    Interestingly I don't think I've ever seen that. I've seen them turn green but not much else.
  • EvinfuiltEvinfuilt Member Posts: 505
    No question for me, while soling Irenicus... I enfeebled him. All powerful super genius my arse.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    In vanilla BG, I remember killing a patrol of Flaming Fist enforcers who attacked my level 3 party (w/ a reputation of 1) outside the Friendly Arm. When picking up the loot from the Flaming Fist mage, I saw there was a Ghoul Touch hand among the loot. I'm sure it was due to a glitch where killing the mage while the Ghoul Touch spell is still active drops the hand as a permanent item. I gave it to Viconia after meeting her in Peldvale and used it throughout the rest of the game (+4 to hit bonus along with the paralyzing effect). Oh yeah!
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Klonoa said:

The takeaway from that story was, for me, the possibility that Boo could have survived the explosion. :D
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    For some reason, when I looked at the description for the red dragon scale armor (which makes this a Firkraag story too I guess) and it says something like 'Due to it's nature it is a bad idea to wear this armor around dragons, especially red ones'.

Just the idea that someone had had that idea and wrote it into the game.

Also the big metal unit. Everything about it, from the randomness of the golden pantaloons, to the insanity of the bronze pantalettes (quick, cast magic missile!) to the awesomness of the unit itself.
  • KaxonKaxon Member Posts: 156
    I can't remember my best moment, but I had a pretty good one last night. In the planar prison, I threw on a bunch of buffs to get ready for the last fight against the Cambion. Then I charge in and the fight goes like this:

Aerie: Casts Breach
    CHARNAME: Critical Hit, 56 damage
    Minsc: Critical Hit, 46 damage
    Warden dies.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    I can't pick just one, so here's a "greatest hits".

BG1: Going through the Cloakwood for the first time, trying to find those blasted Mines.
    First time I played evil, had my first evil dream, and recruiting Edwin (thought he was just a quest giver.)
    Going to the Werewolf Island for the first time.

BG2: Taking out the Shadow Thieves. It remains an awesome dungeon crawl to this day.
    The Underdark.

TOB: The Lum the Mad level of Watcher's Keep.
  • Infern0Infern0 Member Posts: 44
    Fighting alongside Drizzt in the Battle under the graveyard is the most memorable moment for me
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Ok, had one of my greatest moments just a couple nights ago.

My dad and I are playing a Co-Op game. He never really played before. So he's handling his Half-Orc Fighter and Minsc and i'm playing an Elven Mage and running all the team's spellcasters and Imoen. Up to this point I haven't had enough magic to really be impressive. I've made some fights a lot easier by getting Command to stick but nothing really impressive.

So a couple nights ago, we're jumped by those assassins/bounty hunters in the wilderness. I cast a few spells, and the fight is over. They're silenced, and feared, and we killed 3/4 of them with a quickness. And the thief we have to chase halfway across the map. Finally, it's like, "Yeah, that's magic."
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    I still remember my Boots of Speed/Stealth shenanigans on my Kensai/Thief. He hadn't regained his Kensai levels. I was doing the Planar Sphere. Solo'd the ENTIRE area by abusing line of sight/stealth/backstab.

It's stood out in my mind even all these years later so it must have left an impact on me.

My most recent playthrough of the saga, I recall getting out of the Nashkel Mines and buffing up my party to take on the people who assault you on your way out of the zone. I always recalled that fight being particularly difficult. As soon as it started, I lobbed in a Hold Person with Xan or Branwen or someone, and it affected the entire enemy party. Fight was over before I knew it and I was just laughing at the amount of time I spent buffing my party up before hand.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    I remember it felt great when I finally was able to afford the robe of a good archmagi from thalantyr for the very first time. It was such an absurd price and I spent nearly every coin for it, but yeah, I felt like an archmage.