Skip to content

Custom Portrait problems after update

PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
I just updated to the latest version this weekend, so I'm in the process of getting my game set back up. I haven't installed any mods yet, so I'm just playing with the base game patched up to the most recent release. My issue is with using custom portraits. All of my images are in .bmp format, size 210x330. The names are of the appropriate length too, and no disallowed characters.

I have 14 custom portraits in my folder so far, but any time I try to add more than that, suddenly they start showing up only as black screens. I click through the portraits, and it clearly shows that they're there, I just don't see anything.

It looks like this:

I thought it was weird to throw the custom portraits in the mix with the standard ones, and I preferred the old method of them being in a separate list when you clicked "Custom." However I will learn to deal with the changes. What's troublesome is that I can't use all of my portraits that I want to, and I feel like this is simply a bug. I had ALL of them in my Portraits folder before updating from v1.3, and they all showed up in-game. This issue only developed after updating my game.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Check, if they are S files (i.e. do their names end on S)?
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    I only had S versions of a couple of them. I don't think any of them have the L/M/S extension anymore. When I noticed that I could no longer select two different portraits during character creation, I just removed the smaller ones from the folder.

It helps remove clutter from a now overcrowded portrait selection menu, and it also helps get more portraits in the game. If I can only have 14 portraits total, then they're going to be 14 different ones, not crops or resizes of the same thing.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Are the file names 7 characters plus the S/M/L.bmp - if so, it's been reported.
    Thanks
    All the file names are 7 characters or less. In v1.3 I could choose separate portraits for the character sheet and the party portraits. After 2.0 that function was removed. Since I could no longer manually select the large and small portraits, I tossed the cropped S ones out of the folder to make room for more of the other pictures. As of now none of them have the L/M/S suffixes.

So to sum it up:
    - All portraits are 210×330 in size
    - All names are seven characters or less
    - All portraits are in bitmap format
    - Once I add more than 14 images to the Portraits folder, some of them stop showing up at character creation and are replaced with empty frames as shown in the above screenshot

I really don't know what's going on here as they all worked prior to the update.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Could you zip and attach the minimum set that causes the issue please so we can see the exact same situation please. Dropping a zipped file into the leave a comment box will attach it.
    Thanks
    I'm at work right now but I'll attach it when I get home.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Pteran said:

All the file names are 7 characters or less. In v1.3 I could choose separate portraits for the character sheet and the party portraits. After 2.0 that function was removed. Since I could no longer manually select the large and small portraits, I tossed the cropped S ones out of the folder to make room for more of the other pictures. As of now none of them have the L/M/S suffixes.

So to sum it up:
    - Once I add more than 14 images to the Portraits folder, some of them stop showing up at character creation and are replaced with empty frames as shown in the above screenshot

I really don't know what's going on here as they all worked prior to the update.

I think uppercased filenames are an issue. I had the same problem with blank pictures. I renamed all portraits lowercase and made sure less than 8 chrs and they all worked again.

Pteran said:

So to sum it up:

I think uppercased filenames are an issue. I had the same problem with blank pictures. I renamed all portraits lowercase and made sure less than 8 chrs and they all worked again.
    I know for sure I've got a couple names with upper case letters! I'll change them as soon as I'm home and report back.
    Renaming the files with all lower case letters seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited May 2016
    *casts raise thread*

I just had a similar problem to this as well, and found out that a way to fix it is to edit the problem images - I use GIMP, and all 3 images that worked before the patch that were not showing up had a different type of colour. You find this out by editing it with GIMP, and the program immediately asks you to reformat it. Accept and export(I have over 200 customs. :D).