Skip to content

Iron Man Run

2»

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Armor gives no penalties in BG as they did in P&P, but trap difficulties apply normally. Ever had a thief fail a few tries when opening a lock and the suddenly he manages to do it? Try Durlag's tower with 90% pick locks...
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2012
    mlnevese said:

Armor gives no penalties in BG as they did in P&P, but trap difficulties apply normally. Ever had a thief fail a few tries when opening a lock and the suddenly he manages to do it? Try Durlag's tower with 90% pick locks...

You have to try and pick a lock *five* times to discern whether it works or not.

I've had thieves fail up to four times and then get it the fifth time on occasion. If the fifth doesn't work, I've never had them manage ever again after that.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    In vanilla BG1, the thieving ability button and the stealth ability buttons are greyed out if a fighter-thief puts on metal armor. Without mods, you cannot do *any* thieving while wearing metal armor. You can detect traps, but nothing else, including disarming.
    Quartz
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418

In vanilla BG1, the thieving ability button and the stealth ability buttons are greyed out if a fighter-thief puts on metal armor. Without mods, you cannot do *any* thieving while wearing metal armor. You can detect traps, but nothing else, including disarming.

I thought I recalled that being the case as well - but can't recall if that effected backstabbing also?? Also can't recall if ankeg plate acted like plate or like leather for thief purposes (for fighter/thief or cleric/thief) either.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited October 2012
    Wanderon said:

I thought I recalled that being the case as well - but can't recall if that effected backstabbing also?? Also can't recall if ankeg plate acted like plate or like leather for thief purposes (for fighter/thief or cleric/thief) either.
    You can backstab while in plate but you can't hide in shadows. So you'd have to do it via invisibility.

Ankheg armor counts as plate.

It's also worth noting that Drizzt's armor is totally badass for fighter/thieves. They can use all their abilities with it on.
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    Jorkan said:

I'm was on my 6th iron man run (where I can save games and do not reload) and wiped out my whole party in the Candlekeep dungeons because of a lightning trap. I had my rogue at 100% disarm traps but still couldn't disarm some of those damn traps and had to carefully manuever my party around so as not to set anything off. Stupid Xan hit a trap and a lightning bolt wiped out my whole party after it bounced off the wall a dozen or so times. Stupid unfair traps.

Lightning traps and spells are some of the most dangerous things in an iron man attempt. Whenever you expect lightning bolts each party member should have a potion of absorbtion in a quick slot.

Other other thing you should be aware is the green slime special attack that CHUNKS a party member which fails a saving throw (beware that slime invasion in that inn in Baldur's Gate - at first look they look piece of cake for a level 5/6 party - until all of a sudden Minsc explodes).