Skip to content

Blade Song

toolargtoolarg Member Posts: 179
I've noticed that the description for the Blade doesnt mention a nerfed song, as in, a song that doesnt improve with levels. It says half lore, half pickpocket and thats it for disadvantages. Has it always been like this?

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Not sure if it has always been like this or not, but the blade's song still does not improve with levels. It is the only bard song that doesn't improve with levels. The luck bonus of the kitless bard song eventually improves from +1 to +2 and then +3. The blade's bard song does have a luck bonus, but it stays at +1. The other two bard songs improve as described of course.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Wait, is the luck bonus actually implemented? From my research it seems it wasn't. Is there a way to test this?

/my prior thread asking a somewhat related question

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/48204/what-does-the-base-bardsong-actually-do-and-at-what-levels-does-it-improve-bg-ee-bg2-ee#latest
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    The vanilla bard song only protects against fear and boost morale now. It no longer offers any "+" to anything.
  • toolargtoolarg Member Posts: 179

The vanilla bard song only protects against fear and boost morale now. It no longer offers any "+" to anything.

If thats true it would explain why theres no "song doesnt improve..." line in disadvantages, it just sucks as much as the default Bard's. IF thats true then I dont understand why they did it, considering how great the IWD Bard is.
    elminster said:

Like Tresset wrote the bard song (fjbardb.spl) is

Level 1: Protection from panic/moral failure. +1 to luck.
    Level 15: Protection from panic/moral failure. +2 to luck.
    Level 20: Protection from panic/moral failure. +3 to luck.

The blade uses another spl file and only gives protection from panic/morale failure and +1 to luck.

WHAT
    OOHHHHH I WANT TO TRY A KITLESS BARD NOW

Luck is calculated as a +5% to everything you do right? So +2 luck would be +10% and +3 would be +15%?

Like, saving throws, attack rolls, and thieving skills, right?
  • SertoriusSertorius Member Posts: 172
    edited April 2016
    elminster said:

Level 1: Protection from panic/moral failure. +1 to luck.
    Level 15: Protection from panic/moral failure. +2 to luck.
    Level 20: Protection from panic/moral failure. +3 to luck.

The blade uses another spl file and only gives protection from panic/morale failure and +1 to luck.

Purely out of curiosity, how would you compare these bard songs to the HLA Enhanced Bard Song?

I haven't really played a bard that much, so I'm a bit in the dark whether it's worth it or not, especially since the +3 to luck seems quite powerful.
  • SertoriusSertorius Member Posts: 172
    @Tresset
    Now this is an insightful response, thank you very much
    Ah, ok. I haven't had a chance to check but does the luck bonus properly apply in BG:EE and BG2:EE?
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Vallmyr said:

Ah, ok. I haven't had a chance to check but does the luck bonus properly apply in BG:EE and BG2:EE?

Yes, it does.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Tresset said:

Luck bonus alone does not improve saving throws and thief skills.

Yea I inquired about it internally before posting that (and posted the answer that I got). But now that I've tested it myself it looks like it doesn't.
    Should it boost saving throws and thieving skills or is this the intended effect?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Most spells/abilities that give luck just give an extra bonus to saving throws/thief skills to compensate for it not working with it. Personally I think if its going to give a luck bonus it should work the same as everything else that gives a luck bonus.
  • SkaroseSkarose Member Posts: 247
    This thread fooled me, I thought it was about the one true art!

*Silly bards confusing what a real 'Blade Song' is ;)
    So I just thought, with the Bard Hat you could keep the Blade Bardsong up constantly and give your whole party fear immunity and +1 on attack rolls (including yourself).