Skip to content

Favourite handi-cap?

Many have played this game more frequently than they've washed their car.
I've read a variety of inventive ways in which these folk have "spiced up" the campaign, including;
- a full Halfling party ( using multi-player creation screen)
- no resurrecting group members, only hire new ones
- all group members one class
- MC takes first stat roll on creation
- all MC stats as close to 10 as possible on creation
- studded leather highest armour allowed by group
- minimum amount of group members
- and of course the classic, "no-reload".

I don't list Solo runs as every solo run I've seen on Youtube or heard about skip majority of campaign content (with good reason, they would not finish otherwise).

So, what is your fave handi-cap (that does all maps/ all engagements) ?

Mine?

Fondest game I remember playing was also my very first. I was so excited about starting up (back in '98) I did not realize that on creation I could re-roll for my starting stats.
My Fighter/Thief had a hell of a slog with a rather less than stellar scoring. Still beat the game though, heh.

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited April 2016
    I play minimal reload, and my character has very low con, I think started out with 7 and now sits at 5 due to familiar deaths. I also now play on hard difficulty with scs and many other mods in bg2 (tactics, ascension, quest mods, item randomiser, etc.) Due to low con, my guy tires out quicker than every party member and always nags about it.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Inspired by another forumite, (to steal his idea), I recently finished BGEE with a drunken Jester. Booze-addled and jovial, RP-wise, it was a blast. Will import him into SoD once I purchase it.
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    Inspired by the new class kits that BGEE has given us - I created a kensai party.

Everyone is a kensai - a sword saint in the truest sense of the word so they can only use swords - each of the 6 members will each master 1 type of sword - long, bastard, two-handed, katana, short, scimitar - along with whatever weapon style best fits for each sword.

Besides carrying their swords each one will be equipped with throwing daggers - why this isn't considered a missile weapon is odd but since it is allowed they will be equipped with it.
  • CaradocCaradoc Member Posts: 92
    edited April 2016
    Install Sword Coast stratgem. Then put difficulty on hard or insane. That should give you plenty of fair challenge. And after that you will never want to back to vanilla. :) And there is no need to handicap your character stat wise because enemies are smarter, tougher and use spells/potions/abilities etc in smarter ways.
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    edited April 2016
    Slower HP progression (fighter 1d5, priest 1d4, rogue 1d3...). :)
    Post edited by Kerozevok on
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I don't kill Drizzt. Ever. Whether I'm evil or good. Although I never thought of this as a handicap it seems almost commonplace in the forums.
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    edited April 2016
    You have to use the crappiest characters.

This means you can only recruit very un-optimized NPCs, namely Faldorn, Xan, Eldoth, Tiax, and Quayle (Garrick can be swapped in if you want). In addition to increased challenge, you'll see a lot of content you might ordinarily miss. For your PC, you must choose a notoriously crappy class, like the wizard slayer, beastmaster, or monk.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited April 2016

I don't kill Drizzt. Ever. Whether I'm evil or good. Although I never thought of this as a handicap it seems almost commonplace in the forums.

I think that in all these years I only killed Drizzt once to see if it was hard and then reloaded the game instead of keeping his equipment. I never killed Elminster as well.
  • mikklemikkle Member Posts: 39
    Non-ressurect rule for dead allies seems cool, it's like life innit.

I like such challenges for example putting squishy characters to front line and figuring out how to make them survive while normally one would just give them ranged weapon lol it's so rewarding despite how stupid it is
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    My newest rule is to base charnames on people I know. Family and friends and so on. That will decide their class, behavior and alignment. Makes some fun rides.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    I'm playing a no-resurrect game, although not always faithfully; i've reloaded a few times. I enjoy it a lot. Each time I lost someone that I wanted to keep, Imoen, Corwin, Yeslick, I made a save after the battle, just in case, then dropped them from the group and continued on. I never went back to the saves. When you make it through the next little while you appreciate the loss.

One thing that is interesting is going back and re-recruiting old level 2 characters to go clear out Durlags with your core lvl 8 team, or take on the undercity. Its a different RP feel than my usual cadre of close friends who've been through it all together.

I did cheat when i lost alora, being the last thief i could recurit i just reloaded.

Also, maybe some variation on no-resurrect is possible.

no-resurrect after x hours. (they better die close to town)
    pay extra X gold at temple for resurrect. (how much is a life worth, anyway?)
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I severely limit resting and travelling, to the point where I never visit a wilderness area twice if I can help it, and I probably only rest a couple times per chapter on average.

I also reload if any party member dies (scripted deaths notwithstanding), which, given that I'm not playing no-reloads or minimal-reloads, actually makes the game harder, since every character has to be protected to the same extent that I'd protect charname.

I also just... don't use certain tactics, items, and spells that I've found feel blatantly unfair, although I'm a bit inconsistent about it. In BG1, this mostly means not using Protection from Undead scrolls or recharging Durlag's Goblet. I'll still use the anti-magic potions, though, so what I'll use and what I won't can be somewhat arbitrary.
  • SharguildSharguild Member Posts: 186
    I'm not a fan of wands.

I've always felt wands sort of cheapen the Mage's hard efforts of knowing the right spells for the right time (or not, sigh).
    I have used them on rare occasion ( like the MM on Shandalar) but if they run out, oh well.
    I never use the WoMS, even back in vanilla ( ESPECIALLY back in vanilla) as loading a room full of Hobgoblins or whatever really felt like a cheap win to me, IMHO.
    I also found the Fireball wand far too OP. I'd use Aggy's Scorcher with it rarely but that's it.
    Same in BG2 but that's a different post.

m2c