Skip to content

add option to diable the fog effect.

chaoticwolfchaoticwolf Member Posts: 18
I understand it being in sod as that's a new game, but beamdog shouldn't of added the effect into BG2. its been glitchy in sod for me with flickering when scrolling now its in baldurs gate 2 as well. its a major distraction for me hopfully they either fix it or add a classic view mode to the game.

Comments

• chaoticwolfchaoticwolf Member Posts: 18

this is what I mean. when I scroll the screen the top and sides will flicker. idk if they added it into the first bg game if they did can somebody let me know?
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Options -> Gameplay -> Weather
    This will disable the fog :)
    semiticgoddess
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Aedan said:

Options -> Gameplay -> Weather
    This will disable the fog :)

Does it also disable rain, thunder, snow and wind blowing sand from ground effects? They are really good for immersion.
    jackjackRavenslight
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited April 2016
    @lunar
    Yes, it will disable those weather effects as well. There is not an option to disable just the fog and I think they will never add it.
    Post edited by Aedan on
    lunarjackjacksemiticgoddess
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    That's unfortunate. I'm guessing my old iPad will hate that when they update the games for iOS.
    Aedan said:

@lunar
    Yes, it will disable those weather effects as well. There is not an option to disable just the fog and I think they will never add it.

Still hate how they added it cause it's a major eyesore. I would appreciate the effect more if it wasn't flickering. I hope the next patch optimizes the game more.
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    So it's not a bug, but a feature? Ye gods, it can be extremely annoying sometimes, obscuring vision. I love the thunder and rain and stuff, but this *really* needs an option to turn off seperately.
    jackjackRavenslightJuliusBorisov
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Fog obscures vision. News at 11? If lightning, raining and snow is all about 'immersion', why fog isn't? You have experienced fog in real life, right? It does obscure things. How is that different from this?

Well, except the flickering, that sounds like a bug, but if i understood this correctly, you just don't like fog in general, because it obscures vision.
    ShadowdemonAedan

Fog obscures vision. News at 11? If lightning, raining and snow is all about 'immersion', why fog isn't? You have experienced fog in real life, right? It does obscure things. How is that different from this?

Well, except the flickering, that sounds like a bug, but if i understood this correctly, you just don't like fog in general, because it obscures vision.

In my previous comment I said I would appreciate the effect if it wasn't bugged for me because the constant flickering when scrolling is a major eyesore. In sod when a cutscene has the fog effect and it slowly scrolls the screen it just looks off and breaks the imersion. Ex when Caelars soldiers get scared and blow up the bridge. I posted a bug report on it anyway with my system info.
    jackjackSjerrie
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234

By that logic we should also ditch the isometric view altogether.

I have seen more fog in SoD than I have in the past year in real life. Don't get me wrong, it is a great visual effect, and once I realized it was a fog effect I sat back in my chair and watched and enjoyed it roll in for a minute or two. But I got the effect on almost every map, and sitting back and just watching the visuals is not something I play a game for. This visual can arguably make the game harder, which is something a visual effect imho shouldn't do.
    JuliusBorisovjackjackRavenslight
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    When I saw it in-game in SoD I thought it's a problem with my video card and SoD compability.

I would indeed like a separate option for the fog effect because other weather conditions don't look that way.
    SjerriejackjackZiminairRavenslight
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    @chaoticwolf could you send us a DxDiag dump?
    Windows key + R
    dxdiag
    Click "Save all Information"

then attach the file here.
    JuliusBorisovjackjack