Skip to content

IWDEE needed the NPCs much more than BG

GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
Am I alone in thinking that IWDEE would have been much better off with the EE NPCs?

The BG saga is already brimming with personalities. IWD in comparison is very flat and linear. So in Easthaven you can start with the usual party of 6. Or you can talk to the EE NPCs and get them to join your party. Allow them to open up new areas for side quests. Have banter and dialogue. It'd bring the game to life in a way which was much more needed than in BG.

Note to beamdog: I'd totally buy a dlc like this...

Comments

• saoxsaox Member Posts: 104
    There is a IWD NPC project with 5 NPC that are really well written. What I would like personally is another project of this type :).
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    saox said:

There is a IWD NPC project with 5 NPC that are really well written. What I would like personally is another project of this type :).

As an iPhone user I wish that I could use that
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Honestly I'm on the fence as to whether something like this would help. NPCs alone won't really make the experience less linear. You'd need extra sidequests, areas, etc. to solve that. And yet I've seen so many people complain about EE content being tied to the NPCs. So I think it would be better to cut out the middle man and just straight-up make new content.

I mean maybe it's just me, I don't mind the lack of banter in IWD because banter, unless it's incredibly memetic or well-written, gets boring as it never changes so once I know what is said I don't really care to see it again. Because of this, the full-party generation in IWD is something I'd rather remain the way the game's meant to be played.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited April 2016
    I wonder how the licensing agreement works on this? Beamdog weren't allowed to change any content in BG, but they were allowed to add stuff. Would WotC consider NPC Project style NPC's added by Beamdog to be too radical a change to the IWD IP?

If Beamdog created some NPC's for IWD, I'm sure I'd wind up trying them.

The last time I played with the NPC Project, though, I wound up getting annoyed by their constant interjections, and there were a lot of them. I started seeing it as being constantly interrupted in concentrating on what we were doing. I also didn't like the class assortment or the weapon proficiencies they picked. I felt like it limited me in what class my main character could be while maintaining party balance.

I play IWD when I feel like a lot of grinding and fighting while enjoying the top notch music, art, and atmosphere, so I'm not sure NPC's really add all that much for me.
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Grum said:

saox said:

If ios is older than 8.2 ifunbox allows you to mod on iphones and ipads. I did so and the iwd npc mod worked great on my ipad.
    lunar said:

Grum said:

saox said:

If ios is older than 8.2 ifunbox allows you to mod on iphones and ipads. I did so and the iwd npc mod worked great on my ipad.
    Sadly mine isn't. If I knew that was the case I'd probably never update my phone from that or get a new one...
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Well... I don't know if there's a case for EE NPCs to have gone to IWD instead of BG - mechanically, Dorn and Hexxat are crucial for rounding out an Evil party, and Neera and Rasaad represent classes that didn't have NPCs in the original game. (By the same token, the SoD companions are basically replacements for characters who don't make the jump - M'Khiin for Branwen/Faldorn, Corwin for Kivan, Voghiln for Garrick/Eldoth, Glint for Tiax.)

That said, while I did mostly like the IWD NPC Project, the authors created a very specific (and therefore somewhat limiting) group dynamic with Holvir, Korin, Nella, Teri and Severn - it'd certainly be interesting to see new and different characters added to the mix.
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    edited April 2016
    Icewind Dale's narrative described the party as a mercenary band, nameless heroes whose names went unsung and only their deeds were whispered by the druids of the hearty tree (Or a vengeful demon, spoiler alert!).

I liked it that way, where the main focus is the party and the world that surrounded it. It was a different perspective of playing a RPG, and Icewind Dale has been my personal favorite since my younger days.

Also, I prefer playing Neutral/Evil parties. The IWD NPCs written by Kulyok are well-written, yes, but the NPCs are mostly Good-natured and they don't cater to those who prefer less drama within the party.

Now, the NPC project for IWD2 is a whole other matter. If only the engine was optimized enough for in-party interactions, IWD2 NPC project would have been easily one of the best mods out there for the more mature audiences.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    I have seriously been considering writing an NPC mod for this game. I know you're not asking about mods, because you play on iOS, but maybe this will give you some insight.

There are a lot of hurtles and benefits.

Hurtles:

Just like @bengoshi and @BelgarathMTH indicated, there are so many possibilities for character class options and race combinations. By the time I have settled on alignment, races, classes for 5 different personality types, I may want to add even more. That is a lot of work for such a linear game where npcs can't be traded in and out willy-nilly, like in bg1 and 2. The majority of the game is spent away form Kuldahar, which would probably be considered the only real central place in the game. If I write more than 5 npcs, say 7 or 8, well, that sure is a lot of effort put into npc writing that isn't even going to get any screen time in one play through (see hurtle 2). If I write less than 5, say 1 or 2, that may leave the door open for improvement later, but it's missing a lot of potential. Plus, who wants to play a game where there's only one party member talking to himself the whole time, with the rest of the party responding as one giant mass consciousness?

If I write exactly 5, which is the most ideal, than it is subject to the same problems that the IWDNPCProject is subject to: limiting the player on balance. In BG, if I want to play a wizard or a fighter, it's easy enough to find characters to fill the roles that charname can't. @BelgarathMTH had a good point: playing with the IWDNPCProject is best with a few certain character types, and how would I escape that trap if I made exactly 5 npcs? There really isn't any way, because everyone's idea of the perfect party setup is different (just check out the massive thread in this subforum). Sure you can just say, shadow keeper the classes, or do what the IWDNPCProject does, which is give each character a possible selection of so many classes. But the options presented in that mod really don't quite do it for me, and I know whatever options I present won't do it for lots of people. Plus it breaks immersion to write a paladin and have him as a fighter or a fighter/cleric. So that means if I don't want that trap, than I have to make more (to fill the positions that the other characters can't fill) or make less (so that the player can make characters to fill those roles instead) than 5.

Should I just write the npcs that I want to write, for my own enjoyment, and everyone else be damned? (For example, I despise Druids, but lots of people like Druids in this game... no really, I hate Druids.) I am thinking about getting into this because I want to have fun. So writing characters that I want to write has a lot of appeal. However...

Should I try to cater to the masses, giving people what they want? The problem is that if I do what other people want, it becomes more of a chore or work instead of a fun hobby. If I do what I want, than what is the point of even publishing it? I understand that you can't please everyone, but I can hear it now...this mod should have had a Druid! This mod should have had a dwarf! There's enough elves, half-elves, and humans in fandom already!

Well I like elves, half-elves, and humans, damnit! I think that they're hot! You get the idea...

So what is the point of publishing it if it's just going to be massively criticized? Gamers are incredibly merciless when it comes to criticizing npc mods. Just check out DeathMordecai's thread, "The Worst of the Worst," parts 1,2,3, etc. Mindless pages and pages of non-constructive criticism and for what? It would have been less work for him to write his own "perfect" mod than to write hundreds of pages of non-constructive criticisms about other people's work.

I have never modded before, although I have done a lot of research on the side. I am bound to make mistakes and create a buggy mod, which involves fixing and troubleshooting. What if I lose steam and abandon the project halfway through, after publishing?

Last but not least, how many npcs to make? As a newbie to modding, it is ambitious to make even one npc mod, not just 5, or even more! But if I make only one, or one at a time, in order to experiment and learn, by the time I get to five, they don't have any banter between them...and then I have to go back and write banter and everything between mods that weren't even written to be together! Talk about a writers head-ache. So it may be more work in the long-run to make just one and then add others instead of making them all at once.
    Or if I write them all at once, and plan them out (probably during a play through of my own), am I biting off more than I can chew? Probably, at least for a newbie.

I am too busy to even play the game. Why do I think that I can mod the game? What has come over me?? Have I gone insane???!!!!

Those are only some of the hurtles off the top my head.

Benefits:

Expectations: there really are none. No one has really taken on writing any npcs mods for this game other than the IWDNPCProject, so what have I got to lose? In the bg games, the npcs are EXPECTED to do and react in certain ways to certain triggers, and have certain features, some of which are not even vanilla. It has almost become canon for mods to introduce "flirts," or a romance track AND a "friendship" track. Every romance "has" to react to the Bodhi abduction, which is honestly just bullcrap, because you can program it otherwise if you wanted to. It is just expected, so the players will expect it, so you have to mod it in. Every character "has" to have a tree of life dialogue, and an end of the game dialogue, and a reactive dialogue to every other npc in the game, including banters, romance shutdowns, possible violence reactions, and even "friendships" with other npcs. BG mods are expected to have voice acting, custom portraits, etc, etc, the list goes on and on.
    Not so in IWDEE!! I could write an npc any way that I wanted, with zero "flirts", only one track, no other npcs to worry about except my own (if I wrote more than one), and not even have custom portraits and voice acting if I didn't want to. There are no expectations because there are no recruitable npcs to stand in stark contrast with. There are no other vanilla npcs that act as a "standard" of quality, or even of expectations. There really aren't any other mods to compare to, except for the old and used IWDNPCProject (no offense).

IWD is linear. This may not seem like an advantage to gamers, but to writers it is HUGE! You don't have to worry about the player doing this first or that first instead, and what would happen if trigger A wasn't active when trigger B was active or vice-versa, or even with neither of them active or both of them active. There is only linear progression through the story, which means that you can use the linear triggers to trigger dialogues and for general writing advancement. A lot less planning and anticipation of player actions is involved. This is a big reason why there are so many more linear game than open world games like bg2.

This is similar to benefit 1., but it applies to writing, not programming.

There is no earth-shattering destiny of charname. In fact, there is no charname. You can write the plot and background of the characters without even considering bhaalspawn or gorion or blah blah blah, whatever you want to do. There is nothing but creative freedom awaiting the writing of npcs reacting to the IWD adventure. Want to make a ragtag group of mercenaries? Done. Want to make a group of evil undead worshippers? Done. Want to make a group of holy crusaders? Done. Want to make a group of various alignments who are joined together out of a need to survive, and to escape the frigid northland? Done and done. No restrictions, no glory for charname, all just reactive, creative writing.

IWDEE now uses the same engine as BG2. So, I can benefit from all the hard work and tutorials that modders have done on the BG2 engine and apply it to IWDEE instead of having to learn how the game works from scratch. Huge benefit.

Although I love BG1 and BG2, and admit that they are epic games, I am part of the small crowd that believes that IWD is just better than either BG. It's plot is better written, it has more excitement, the battles are better, and the plot keeps you guessing. No offense, BG, but your plot was see-through from the very first time I played (except for Yoshimo, although you certainly slammed me in the head with all those freaking hints, didn't you? I was just to dense to get it). YOUR advantage, BG, lies in your open world, not in your stellar writing (although it is still good, just not as good). If you can overlook it's linearity, IWD is just better.

Hah!! Nyah! Nyah!!

This community may be the most supportive gaming community in the industry.

(Maybe this should be in its own thread? Sorry if this is out of place.)
    edited May 2016
    @mashedtaters , Well, if you really want to try it, then go for it. I think I'd stick to to five characters and try to make an alternative to the NPC Project, because anything more would likely be biting off more than you can chew.

You could try to write their stories with a bit of class vagueness, so you could offer a bit more freedom to the player. The NPC Project folks wrote their characters such that the stories don't make much sense unless you keep them a certain class. For example, Severn can be a sorcerer in the mod options, but his story makes absolutely no sense if he's not a bard. Korin's story says he's a ranger, not a ranger-cleric. Holvir makes no sense as anything but a paladin, and Teri says nothing about learning magic, even though she can be a mage-thief in the options.

If you truly hate druids, you should definitely not try to write one, because your bias is bound to come out through the words you put in the character's mouth, and people who actually do like druids will be angry.

There is apparently a limitation in the IWD dialogue programming where the main character must be kept in the top position in order for NPC dialogues with the main character to work. That makes it very hard for the player to play a squishy as the main character and still have interactions with the other characters.

If I were you, I would try to contact the people involved on the first NPC Project to ask for advice about what to expect while writing and producing another one. I think @kulyok was one of the leads on the original project.

You could likely find more of them by inquiring around over at the Gibberlings Three website.

EDIT: Btw, writing a complete five-member plus player character party for Icewind Dale is a huge undertaking. Even though you don't like BG as much, I'd advise writing and releasing a single modded NPC for BG first, if you've never modded before, so you can learn how all the programming works and get some experience with successfully creating a single NPC from start to finish, that works as intended in the game.
    I dont give a shit. Just make an NPC mod, I will be happy with even 1 that could fit a neutral team making interesting comments along the way. Another option would be to create 2 and have them be leaders of the expedition.

There was one guy on this forum who made a great analysis of Dorns Deep. He could be potentially a great writer for such a mod.
    @saox , That was @Grum .
    @BelgarathMTH
    I was under the impression that the upgraded IWDEE engine was more similar to the BG2 engine (in regards to player being in the first slot). I have heard of that dissimilarity before, but I don't know how it plays out in the IWDEE engine. I guess I will have to do some experimenting.
    saox said:

I dont give a shit. Just make an NPC mod, I will be happy with even 1 that could fit a neutral team making interesting comments along the way. Another option would be to create 2 and have them be leaders of the expedition.

There was one guy on this forum who made a great analysis of Dorns Deep. He could be potentially a great writer for such a mod.

This comment made my day. :smiley:
    edited May 2016
    I think that I may have thought up a solution to the player1 problem. From what I understand from my research (not at my computer to verify), the old IWD always defaulted the automatic dialogues to whoever was in slot Player1.

Now that the engines are essentially the same, that limitation is gone. BUT, there is no Charname. So you would assume that your player would be Player1, but there is no reason that I can find with the current engine that NPCMod could not address Player2 or Player3 instead, as the case may be. You would just have to set up a variable that would create different dialogue tokened responses based on Player slot placement. This would most likely be easily addressed by manually editting a simple variable during Weidu installation that could afterward be edited in game via the console.

What do you guys think?

Edit: this would also, if planned out and programmed with the right forethought, allow additional player made pcs to initiate dialogues and be addressed by NPCMods. For example, NPCModA could address Player1 and NPCModB could address Player5 instead. Of course, just by changing a few simple global variables, you could also have NPCModA and NPCModB both address Player5. Just find someway to get past the Player perma-death thing. Otherwise, if Player5 dies, all of a sudden Player6 could become Player5 automatically...which could result in some confusion, especially if NPCModA was Player6. Then NPCModA would just be talking to himself, and NPCModB would be talkin to NPCModA instead of Player5. Hmm...
    Oh well, you still have that problem anyway you look at it, whether or not you are addressing Player5 or Player1.
    @mashedtaters , Sorry, I can't help any further. You're already over my head with the technical stuff.

The only modders I know are @elminster and @subtledoctor . Maybe one of them can help with some feedback. Also, does anyone else know active forum members who mod, who might be willing to help @mashedtaters with some advice and feedback?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited May 2016
    I don't approve of the idea of party NPCs in the IWD games at all. That's not the primary focus of the game (in contrast to BG, it was meant as more of a Diablo type experience), and my imagination is good enough to consider what my own created characters might be saying to each other as the story progresses, without having it spelled out to me.
  • LegendaryLegendary Member Posts: 53
    I don't know, I think part of the appeal of IWD has always been making a full custom party. With BG the NPCs being there almost makes me feel like I have to recruit them, especially in BG1. IWD you make the whole party or, in my case, force your friends to play with you and roleplay the whole time.

IWD, to me, is like the perfect multiplayer version on BG. Even though BG already is Multiplayer.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Whether any individual person wants such a mod is irrelevant if there is a definite group of people who want such a mod and another (probably smaller) group of people willing to make such a mod.

I don't particularly want/need an IWD NPC mod but that doesn't mean I don't want anyone else to have one.
  • LegendaryLegendary Member Posts: 53
    Naw naw I agree as far as modding goes, but I think he meant that Beamdog should have focused their resources on making NPCs for IWD instead of BG and I disagree.

I've actually done IWD with the npc mod before and I love it.
    Ah, I was more replying to @Dharius but I see that you're both talking about Beamdog writing NPCs. I got sidetracked by all the NPC mod talk.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

I am probably in minority here, but I like IWD for what it is. A classic low key D&D dungeon crawl. No great realm shattering saga, but an adventure where you start in a tavern and embark on an adventure. And visit a few ancient dungeons on the way.

I also liked the Tavern then out scenario in IWD but I dislike the implementation. I don't like how it's so linear. You go A (kuhldahar) to B (Vale of shadows) to C (that lizard place) and that's it.

I'd love for a game to start you in a Tavern, then you can follow the main plot or adventure around a bit. Baldurs Gate 2 achieved that fairly well giving you the choice to go on whichever subquest in whatever order and even BG1 you can go to several different places before you hit bandits then cloakwood.

It would be great for a new game if you were an adventuring party in a Tavern. You can help restore the king (whatever main plot) or go investigate kobold ruins, a haunted castle, try to stop raiders based out of a nearby swamp, or explore the nearby town.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    I don't think we need official NPCs. The whole point of IWD is that there's a bunch of mercenaries (your party) who are hired by the town's leader. You don't need party interaction in IWD.
    That sounds pretty great, Grum.
    Grum, you focused a lot on just the character and class of the character. I think it would be important to have some events and comments by the NPC at certain points. A plot twist could be to turn Presio into joining the team against Yxonomei, but as much as I like the idea, this could be a bit complicated.

Having interactive and bantering NPCs is the single one thing that would add great depth to the game and make the game more replayable and fun!