Skip to content

Arcanum

proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
I've had Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura sitting in my gog library for a couple of years, but never played past the opening area. I've decided to finally give it a good try, and am having a great time with it so far. I Got as far as the first town on my first try but felt like my character was a bit of a mess build-wise. Im about to the same place now on my second try with a seemingly much better character. I've got a female half-elf with high charisma and points in melee and dodge, extra points in persuasion, and she dabbles in some utility non- combat Magick.
My impressions so far is that the combat is so-so, but the dialog, exploration, and voice acting are all really great. It seems like a game that will require multiple playthroughs to get the bulk of the content out of it.

What do you guys and gals think of the game, and what are your favorite character builds?

Comments

• Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • namenlosnamenlos Member Posts: 51
    edited April 2016
    I really like this game(cough, cough... enhanced edition) but have never finished it due to a corruption bug every time I "meet a guy at a peninsula after that maze". Pretty disappointing but Human Gunslinger all the way! My team blew the heck out of so much stuff it was a blast!
    I might go play this now, thanks a lot >.<
    :)

Edit: I really liked that Intelligence actually factored into your dialogue... to a major degree!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I liked it but the game never really held my interest. I got to Tarant and after doing some quests there I lost interest.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    I'm not into steampunk naturally, but I really like this one.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I adore Arcanum's world setting, music, its people and especially FLYING STEAMPUNK ORCS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te7wDMGgnjw

Heck, if I'd own beamdog I'd drop D&D and instead pursued the creation of Arcanum Enhanced Edition and especially new Arcanum games... full throttle! The world really needs new steampunk RPG's infused with magic.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    @PhillipDaigle hates steampunk I think though.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    I'm not usually that much into steampunk myself, but I do really like the vibe of this game. The portraits are all amazing, and the music is great as well. There's something about messing around in that Victorian industrial setting that really sparks my imagination while I'm playing.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    i can't get it to work on my mac sadly... tried numerous things in wine, but can't get it to start. would love to play it again.
    I think the gog version comes all set up with the wine wrapper all ready to go. I usually play games on pc but the few times I've set up stuff on the family Mac, Paul the Tall's site was invaluable.
    http://paulthetall.com/arcanum-mac/
  • namenlosnamenlos Member Posts: 51
    Just be careful about entering a certain building in Tarant. The "services" they offer cater to a... wide variety of patrons >.>

The crafting was pretty good I thought, searching a trash can and finding trash materials to make a Molotov cocktail, fuel, bullets or even a light revolver. I also really liked the Half-ogre story... to a point.
  • KcoQuidamKcoQuidam Member Posts: 181
    One of my favorites CRPG so far, just after PS:T. The battle system is just a pain and it's buggy as hell but the dialogue and the lore is just awesome.

There's a lot of good build but the better is to choose them for lore reason. One of my favorites is the full techno (it's possible but a bit hard at first, but the medicine tree and the one with the meca - arachna is totally broken at end. And it still open a lot of social dialogue option)
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    Hey friend, great thread. I've always had some fondness for this kooky little game. I always like making a technology focused character since thats something that is pretty rare in RPGs. However the most powerful build is undoubtedly a Mage, the starting Harm spell can carry you through the entire game. One spell is pretty interesting is the one that lets you talk to dead people so you can kill a questgiver for their loot then make their ghost tell you where to go next if you feel like people evil.

Making a low intelligence character is always good for a chuckle too, mostly for how exasperated it makes Virgil at how terrible his luck is.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    I have one question...

...why so ugly, Arcanum?
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    The graphics were terrible even when it was first released. The style is great, the execution...not so much.

I love the game though. I think my favorite was an ogre technologist. Guns were too big for him, but giant electrical axes and magnetic tophats and all that sort were right up his alley! If ever there should be another Enhanced Edition of a game, please, please let it be this one. It needs some love.
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    My brother and I bought it when it first came out, he played it and liked it, so there's that. I, on the other hand, have never wrapped my head around the idea of playing it. I was too focused on IWD1&2.
    I admit I am sorry I have overlooked the game, it seemed pretty good. Might give it a try after I finish SoD again.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    I love almost everything about this game except for actually playing it. :(
    I think my biggest gripe so far is when traveling the world map, I repeatedly run into wolve that eat my party in one round before they can even react. I've been going a short distance, saving, repeating.
  • AchterkladAchterklad Member Posts: 114
    edited April 2016
    I'll always remember the Secret Village with fondness.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I've not been using any of the combat spells. The open locks spell is super handy.
    One thing I really like is that the quests seldom seen to be resolvable in on step. I can only think of one or two simple fetch quests I've come upon. And no one should be taken at their word!
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    Arcanum, imo, is one of the best games ever. You can quite literally be whatever you want. Want to be a Pacifist? Go for it. Want to be a gunslinging mage of awesome? Just do it!

Also, with a companion like Virgil The Virgin nothing can ever go wrong, since if you're a "bad guy" he'll become a bad guy! You're a good guy? Then, so is Virgil! Such Loyalty!

Otherwise, I don't really have any good character builds. Though, I have attempted to do a Blackguard that gets redeemed into a Paladin.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I've also had this for ages. I need to try it eventually as well. One thing I heard is that if you specialize in necromancy you can kill npcs, raise their spirit, and torture information out of them as opposed to doing quests for them which sounds RADICAL for an evil Necromancer character.
  • AchterkladAchterklad Member Posts: 114
    My first character build wasn't unlike yours, @procco: a half-elf warrior with high ranks in beauty and charisma, with mastery in the persuasion skill (which comes in handy when you want to keep two companions who hate each other).
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    I've beaten Arcanum three times and played it without finishing it countless more, I love it to death despite the flaws in balancing many here have pointed out.

Still, I do need to beat the game going Full Evil one day, all three of my playthroughs I was playing largely the same game but with different race/class combos. I also need to beat it playing a super low intelligence character some day, as far through as I've gotten with that was a laugh riot. Great, great writing and overarching story to Arcanum. This thread makes me want to go play it but I'll probably hold off until I've cleared BG/ToSC -> SoD -> SoA/ToB a few times with different alignments/charname builds/party composition.
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    Its a shame that Journey to the Centre of Arcanum never got made.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    "Nietzsche poster child" - upon which Nietzsche would puke, which is the enjoyable point about it!

If there were a crowd-funder about this one to make the next game, I'd be all in for it.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I played it near the finish but couldn't get past one of the penultimate fights due to either a poor build or a bug or I don't know.

I've played to nowhere near finishing several times.

I tend to favor mages because I like mages. I haven't tried a technologist yet.

I really enjoyed the worldbuilding.