Skip to content

Arcanum

2»

Comments

• proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    mlnevese said:

This is a game in serious need of an enhanced edition. It was amazing but quite bugged...

I would love to see this get an EE, as well as TOEE and Fallout 1&2, with all the community fixes. This style of games plays really well on tablets and would probably sell pretty well on those devices.
    GenderNihilismGirdlemlneveseSmilingSword
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    The most frustrating thing about Troika's games is that they all shipped with many bugs and didn't get enough official patching. They had brilliant ideas and good games, just yeah. All three of their games have received third-party patches, generally for the good, but I kind of wonder what they would have made if they'd had more time and resources.
    mlneveseGenderNihilismGirdleproccoAyiekie
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I've only played it once, but really, really liked it. Never finished it though. I didn't read any walkthroughs or anything, but I think I created a really good char. IIRC it was a halforc who just maxed out combat, strenght, dex etc.

The dwarf companion had a recipe for a fast sword that my character could swing a gazillion times per round. Most enemies were killed before they could even react I think. As said, I don't remember everything, but you got experience per hit I recall, so my character leveled superfast. My brother had a character who was a gunslinger. He got like one tenth the amount of exp and was superweak.

Can't remember why I never finished the game. Prolly I did all the sidequests I could find and forgot to push the mainstory, as usual :P

I remember that the opining area had a bunch of hidden quests in a cave or whatever. Something about a demon and a family.. ? I only remember it because I think my first char ran past that but the second one found and followed through that quest.
    GenderNihilismGirdleGozetalolien
  • AchterkladAchterklad Member Posts: 114
    I've always felt that Z'an Al'urin was hotter than Viconia, but that's just me.
    [Deleted User]GenderNihilismGirdle
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    I loved this game, the one thing I did hate was my familiar. It was this awesome looking little dragon thing but the problem was it had this horrible audio loop of it's wings flapping. This audio loop played over everything including conversations, even conversations where all the other ingame sounds stopped, it even kept playing while the game was paused.

I'm sad to say that, that is the reason I never finished the game. That stupid little audio loop annoyed me to hair pulling frustration and I had no idea how to get rid of my familiar, so I just stopped playing :neutral:

What I did really like doing was having a really high CHA stat, the more you had the bigger your party was, also with high enough CHA nobody would ever leave your party, no matter what you did. One cool little trick I figured out to get NPCs of the opposite aliment to me to join my party, was to drop aliment altering gear near them. The NPC would pick up the gear and equip it and bam! Now they can join.
    RodrianSkatan[Deleted User]GenderNihilismGirdle
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    mlnevese said:

This is a game in serious need of an enhanced edition.

... and Arcanum 2. It's about time.
    GenderNihilismGirdleAchterklad
  • AchterkladAchterklad Member Posts: 114
    edited May 2016
    Oh, if only! :) If there were to be a sequel, @brus, it'd have to presume that the Living One made certain choices throughout the first game, unless it were to be set in the past or on another continent.

From memory, I think there are a few things that might need to be addressed in a possible sequel, depending on which direction its would-be developers would want to take it:

• For there to be a sequel set after the events of the original installment, it's safe to assume that the Living One didn't end up siding with Kerghan.
    • What became of Shrouded Hills and if Jongle Dunne's experiments to create gold from lead were successful or not; if so, what would the impact be for the economy of Arcanum's human cities?
    • The fate of Cumbria, and who was left to rule it: Praetor or Maximillian? I think Blackroot's ending relies mostly on what becomes of Dernholm, Cumbria's capital.
    • How the tensions between Caladon and Tarant were addressed, if at all; one of the possible endings consists of a bloody civil war, if I'm not mistaken.
    • The fate of Arronax, and whether he resurrected Vendigroth or not; some fans seem to dislike this ending, due to the magick-technology conflict in the game's universe, both being opposing forces.
    • Assuming that Arronax returned to the surface, how the Panarii religion might be affected; also, if the Living One chose to become a god at the end of the game, what would this mean for the Panarii, let alone the world?
    • What became of the populace of Stillwater regarding M'in Gorad's possible request for the Living One to kill them in exchange for information regarding the Black Mountain Clan's fate.
    • Whether or not Logharie Thunderstone broke his hermitage and reclaimed his status as king of the dwarves, or if the Wheel Clan eventually died out.
    • What the return of the Black Mountain Clan from their imprisonment in the void would mean for the dwarves of Arcanum.
    • The fate of the Molochean Hand, after the game's events.
    • Magnus' possible revival of the Iron Clan, if it was successful or not, and its implications.
    • The future of both Tulla and magick; technology's rise is slowly weakening the world's supernatural forces, according to some of Tulla's literature (if I remember correctly).
    • Whether or not the Living One enlisted the aid of the villains Nasrudin and the Elven Council banished to the Void. These included Kraka-Tur, Gorgoth, and the Bane of Kree, all of whom would only join you if you promised to return them to Arcanum; what would the consequences be for Arcanum if they did so?

I haven't played the game for years, and I still remember all of this? I need some more hobbies. :smiley: It'd be nice to one day play Arcanum II: Of iPads & Magick Obsurca, but I don't see it happening any time soon. Arcanum wasn't really that popular or successful a game, I'm afraid.
    brus
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited May 2016

Oh, if only! :)
    I haven't played the game for years, and I still remember all of this? I need some more hobbies. :smiley: It'd be nice to one day play Arcanum II: Of iPads & Magick Obsurca, but I don't see it happening any time soon. Arcanum wasn't really that popular or successful a game, I'm afraid.

I swear, if someone doesn't make the game in next 2y, I'll do it myself. :)
    procco
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    brus said:

Oh, if only! :)

I swear, if someone doesn't make the game in next 2y, I'll do it myself. :)
    Do it now! I'll fund you in kickstarter :)
    SmilingSwordbrus