Skip to content

BG EE Preview on PCGamesN

2»

Comments

• RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134

Tanthalas said:

@sandmanCCL

Honestly, looking back at the map thread now I think that's actually a preliminary version of the new map given what mugwort actually wrote,

Even if that is the case, no one really knows for sure which means this guy is a hack journalist.

This kind of stuff is why I dropped out of the journalism department at my school and started focusing more on a technical aspect to TV/Radio stuff. It's so rampant in the industry and there's no accountability.
    Where did you study, mate? If I may be so bold
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Maybe an official comment should be made in the map thread as well to clear any further confusion regarding the issue?
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited October 2012
    I ran a little google search on "Mugwort", the one from the map thread.. and there is a site "Mugwort Designs" of a professional artist who is nicked Mugwort, and comfortably enough, from Canada..

Also the search gave me a link to his site

http://www.mugwortdesigns.com/baldurs-gate-map - which is broken.

I wonder what this is all about..
    Necdilzor
  • neokarnyneokarny Member Posts: 39
    If it generates new interest in Baldur's Gate then great!
    @mch202 That's really strange. Why would a professional artist come to a public forum and reveal he's the one redesigning the map of a game just to have one of the developers reveal he's never heard of him?
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Very odd. The more likely scenario would seem to be that pcgamesn.com poached it from here or a similar place.
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    Yeah, this is strange. I thought that map seemed very strange. Glad it's been confirmed to be fake. And, I hate that a "journalist" would swipe something like that from a fan forum. Highly shady.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    mch202 said:

I ran a little google search on "Mugwort", the one from the map thread.. and there is a site "Mugwort Designs" of a professional artist who is nicked Mugwort, and comfortably enough, from Canada..

Also the search gave me a link to his site

http://www.mugwortdesigns.com/baldurs-gate-map - which is broken.

I wonder what this is all about..

http://www.mugwortdesigns.com/bg3-map-draft is also broken...
    I too wonder what is this all about...
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited October 2012
    I would think Mugwort's probably a fan of the game, and wants to contribute something he has some skills with as a fan. Nothing seems akilter about that to me. That's basically what modding is about, for that matter. Or sharing of modified official portraits by fans, fanfic, and so on. As long as he's not trying to sell something that he doesn't have permission to sell, fan created contributions of all sorts enrich the fan community and helps keep interest in the game robust.
    BrudeAristillius
    edited October 2012
    But what I think is strange is that the guy is a professional graphic designer who said he was working on the official new map.

Here let me quote him it's on the second page of the map thread.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/4832/updated-version-of-baldurs-gate-map/p2
    mugwort said:

@ Jorkan ; This is going to be the new official map

Now it's strange a professional graphics artist claiming something like this in a public forum if it's not true. It completely destroys his credibility. I certainly would never hire him for anything if I discovered he had done something like that.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    That's one nice map
    Hmm, perhaps he is the official cartographer after all, then.
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    I don't like to be negative about things, but do you think he needed two and a half months to edit out the ridiculous number of compasses and download some better fonts?
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    salieri said:

I don't like to be negative about things, but do you think he needed two and a half months to edit out the ridiculous number of compasses and download some better fonts?

It's very clear , this game doesn't be reday yet ,

i never see developers ever explain that they must edit compasses and revise better fotns in this case

I'm going to be brutally honest that I'm not fond of that map he showed us. To my eye, it's just doesn't meet some sort of basic standard, aesthetically. It looks a bit amateurish, to be frank. It's not the end of the world if it makes it into the game. But I'll admit that that would worry me a little.
    KosonBrude
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    Lemernis said:

I'm going to be brutally honest that I'm not fond of that map he showed us. To my eye, it's just doesn't meet some sort of basic standard, aesthetically. It looks a bit amateurish, to be frank. It's not the end of the world if it makes it into the game. But I'll admit that that would worry me a little.

Well, especially considering the quality of the rest of the new art that they've been putting out. That aerial view of the Baldur's Gate harbour is incredible. It seems impossible that both of these could be artistic offerings from the same project, even if they did outsource the map.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    To be fair, the guy did say that the map was far from being complete. It looked more like he just wanted to get input from people. He even mentions that's why the map had multiple compasses.

The thing needs work because it was very clustered with stuff (and it didn't even have all locations yet) and the location icons were very simplistic and without textures (another thing he said he was going to improve).
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    edited October 2012
    Coriander said:

As far as I know, that's not a map we'll be using.

As far as you know?

This is kinda laughable. Do we even know if this person is working for BD? Don't the devs know what's going on with their project? This is what happens when dev badges are hidden in the profile instead of being displayed in the open below the avatar.
    BrudeIkonNavros
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Jean_Luc

Its just an expression. It probably should be read as "that map is not a part of BGEE".
  • JackalJackal Member Posts: 10
    I sincerely hope that map isnt in the game, it doesnt look right at all. Less then enthused about the cutscenes being replaced as well.
    IkonNavros
    Did anyone try to contact mugwort to hear his side of the story?
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    He may very well be an excellent proffesional artist who has little in-game knowledge and hence wanted to include the community in a early stage of the development process. I believe this sounds plausible. Of course it may be trolol but we should not jump to conclusions =) If mogwart is indeed official he stated that there will be multiple changes to the map, so I am not too worried.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    edited October 2012
    I'm somewhat relieved that this map is not going to be put in the game. I feel it could have been used with major changes and improvements, but I'd rather file it under (good) "fanart".

At least, it's not going to be used as far as we know. If it turns out mugwort is in fact really the new map-maker, I'd really have to question the organization at Overhaul. It's okay if there is an artist with little ingame knowledge posting super-early drafts for fan input, but there absolutely has to be official word on it. Underground rumours and lone wolves make the company look bad.

Maybe it's just a super-elaborate trolling prank where some random douche hacked mugwort's homepage without him noticing it, and spread dissonance on the official BG forums without anybody noticing it... but yeah, might as well be it's just late where I live.
  • BugratBugrat Member Posts: 118
    Not a bad article, but in addition to the questionable legitimacy of the map and subrace info, I'm pretty sure that "teaser trailer" they have on there is just one of the fake videos that sprung up when the first baldursgate.com timer for the initial unveiling of BG:EE was going on.

The fact that they point out the contributions of modders like @Ascension64 just about makes up for it though.
    Avenger_teambg