Skip to content

Berserker -> Cleric at 7 or 9?

I know this has come up a bunch, but there seems to be *strong* support for dualing at 9 vs 7. I just want to make sure I understand the differences.

@nano said in this thread: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/26647/what-level-should-i-dual-my-berserker-to-a-cleric
  • 7 gets you an extra 1/2 attack per round and 2 enrages.
  • 9 gets you max hp from your fighter class and 3 enrages.
Is that the only difference? Seems like 7 would be best for a BG->TOB playthrough if you want to be a cleric at the end of BG/middle of SoD, especially in a small party w/ the XP cap removed.

Thoughts?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @nano... Where did they go? Those were the times...

As for the question, dualling at 7 is recommended if you play from BG1. Dualling at 9 is recommended if you start playing from BG2 (this way, if you play BG1, you'll have to be a berserker for the whole BG1 game).
  • jtthjtth Member Posts: 171
    bengoshi said:

@nano... Where did they go? Those were the times...

As for the question, dualling at 7 is recommended if you play from BG1. Dualling at 9 is recommended if you start playing from BG2 (this way, if you play BG1, you'll have to be a berserker for the whole BG1 game).

Ah, so I'm not really missing something then? That's good. While the extra HP and extra berserk would be neat, it's not critical in the build I don't think, and getting to cleric faster would be nice.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    The main reason you dual 9 instead of 7 in BG2 is simply that it is so cheap to do. Since BG2 xp brackets don't begin until after level 9 (or 10 for some classes), you can comfortably get those extra perks for very little cost, since BG2 xp gains are so much higher. Conversely, the reason you do NOT usually dual at 13 (where you get your last +0.5 APR) is because it comes at a cost so steep it is most likely not worth what you get for it.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    I have a Bezerker / Druid going through Siege of Dragonspear right out of Baldur's Gate myself. I went dual with her at Level 7. Most of what I read applies to a Cleric as well, that while playing Baldur's Gate, dual at 7 vs. 9.

Just went with the majority ;)

Travel safe brave warrior, and may you continue to find adventure, fortune and Bezerking treasure during your journey!

RAWR!
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    edited April 2016
    Dual at 7 if you are going to make a full run of the Saga (Sod included). I had an in depth argument about this a few weeks ago and I was convinced that 7 is best than 9, ESPECIALLY if you are going to play SoD.

If you play SoD you wont get 9th level Berserker until the begining of SoD (and that if you uncap BG 1 and play BG 1 with a five members party, as I did). That basically means that for most of SoD your character will be a weakling if you dual at 9th. However, if you dual at 7th you will finish BG 1 with your character already completed (I mean, with his berserker attributes back), so you will start and play through SoD with a powerful character.