Skip to content

Flail or mace?

SketchySketchy Member Posts: 12
If you were playing a cleric which would you prefer to be proficient in, a flail or a mace?

Comments

• SketchySketchy Member Posts: 12
    Ah never thought about morning stars...
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I always choose mace because it is the weapon I most associate with clerics (and I generally take mace proficiency for my paladin as a back-up, blunt weapon). But I think in BG1 proficiency in warhammer is actually the better option. And for BG2 I would definitely go with flail.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Well, in Baldur's Gate 1, the most damaging blunt weapons are as follows :

Staff of Striking
    Kiel's Morning Star
    Staff Mace +2
    Quarterstaff +3
    Mace +2
    Morningstar +1
    Warhammer +2

So yeah, in BG1, I'd go with Blunt weapons, which includes of course the maces, with a cleric.

In BG2, I always use flails with Clerics though. With the exception of Multiclasses and dual classes of course.
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    That freacking awesome flail we get in BG2... with mutiple heads.... yeah that's the way to go
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    I like hammers! The crunching sound is just so much more satisfying with a hammer. And really, what self respecting cleric wouldn't enjoy to crunch the skull of the enemy?
  • giosantigiosanti Member Posts: 20
    edited October 2012
    Blunt weapons is a better choice than Spiked weapons for clerics in BG1. They'll both be maxed out during the game though.

For Tutu and BG:EE, the War Hammer +2 is probably what you want to base your proficiencies around. So, hammers. The Staffmace +2 is slightly better, but you get it late, and I don't know whether it takes a Staff or Mace proficiency. The Quarterstaff +3 is also better but it's 2-handed.

But to answer the question, they're about the same for most of the game, but I'd take Mace because there's a Mace+2 later on.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Flail is such a wicked weapon!! Love them!
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Maces. Because if you have a vivid imagination like myself, maces in real life look super rude, way more frightful than a warhammer of flail.

Is it ever explained why Lord de'Arnise is in possession of the flail?
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    @Jaxsbudgie i believe it's explained in the own weapn background after you join the 3 flail parts that are fouind in the own keep.

If you intent to export your character (or if the devs make a fucking link between BG-BGII) i say to you go to Flail (flail of the ages +5 as final weapon) or warhammer (Crom Faeyr as final weapon).

If you keep yourself only in BG terms, be free to choose, but there are few flails in the game (but by another side there is the umbrella's priest quest that can be done early in the game, that provides a flail +1).
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Aren't flails both piercing and bludgeoning, or is that only a NWN thing? I would go that direction, just because it mitigates resistances and the like. Besides, the Nazgul dude uses one when Eowyn faces him down. Doesn't that add 10 cool points to the weapon?
    imageimage
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    @reedmilfan most impractical weapon ever. By the time you've gone to swing it you already have a sword sticking out of your gut.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I can't really see how a human being of any kind might be able to swing that at all. At most, use it as a pendulum XD
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Nope, it gets -50 for being to big and -10 000 for giving away his penis size complex.
  • AyurukAyuruk Member Posts: 20
    Warhammers
    the nazgul flails aren't exactly common flails, so that's not what people used as flails on the past.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I bet Viconia would use a flail and look like that

http://www.prettyindayton.com/2010/04/maya-luz-makes-ball-and-chain-super.html
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389

Is it ever explained why Lord de'Arnise is in possession of the flail?

I believe they simply chalk it up to an artifact of power he amassed during his adventuring days. Good enough explanation for me! *womp womp trolls*

If your guy is a straight cleric, it's kind of a moot point because you'll eventually have a pip in every weapon type they can use. It's fighter/clerics that have to be a little more picky.

Personally, I like Maces. There's a lot of really good ones throughout the saga and the ubermace in Throne of Bhaal I personally like more than Flail of Ages or Crom Fayer. Chain lightning on hit is slick. Clerics don't really need Crom because if you have 18 in all your prime stats, a level 21 Draw Upon Holy Might roids out all your physical stats to 25.

Flail of Ages is pretty awesome obviously. Minimum 17 damage on hit resistances withstanding is fantastic.
  • KortokKortok Member Posts: 165
    Fighter/Cleric multi taken through TOB the correct answer is flails. FOA is superior to Crom Fayer (it's easy to get 25 str as a F/C). Offhand I like Defender of Easthaven, also a flail. That said, I think you can have hammers, flails and dual wielding maxed by level 13 fighter? So you can do warhammers in BG1 and switch to flails in BG2.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    P&P AD&D had one fine weapon for clerics: the Staff Sling.
    To some it may sound silly. But I assure you, it is extremely powerful and as destructive as an catapult in the right hands.

A real shame it was never included in any AD&D PC game. Worst of all, it vanished from D&D as a whole without a trace.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643

@reedmilfan most impractical weapon ever. By the time you've gone to swing it you already have a sword sticking out of your gut.

Do not come between the Nazgul and his prey!

You fool. No man can kill me. Die now.
    I am no man.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I hate that bit, if there is cheese in LotR then it's that! what an exploit.
  • mister_ennuimister_ennui Member Posts: 98
    edited October 2012
    @Kamigoroshi
    I'm pretty sure the staff sling was available as a weapon in the old Gold Box AD&D computer games.
  • SketchySketchy Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for all the info guys, I was planning on creating a fighter/cleric so you've given me some stuff to think about! cheers.
  • Gun19Gun19 Member Posts: 48
    I love a good flailing.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Sketchy said:

If you were playing a cleric which would you prefer to be proficient in, a flail or a mace?

Me like club.
    elminster said:

Sketchy said:

Me like club.
    Only like the crazy club that's found in Wacher's keep, beside that one no other club is good enough (or crazy enough).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    kamuizin said:

elminster said:

Sketchy said:

Me like club.
    Only like the crazy club that's found in Wacher's keep, beside that one no other club is good enough (or crazy enough).
    Don't go telling my half-orc with 1 intelligence that, you'll ruin the surprise for him.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Elminster

Me will crush you, crush you to goo!?

Oh wait those were hobgoblins. And they were smart enough to at least use bastard swords.

Aside: So happy my current F/M party managed to avoid the broken weapon blues this playthrough. At least one bonus to bee-lining to the Nashkel mines.