Skip to content

Shady Figure Ambush ( Minor Spoiler)

How do I kill this rouge? I can't use magicks, I have some wands, but not a cloudkill one. He always go for my weakest members and kill them permanently. He goes invisible as soon as he hits me, I can't use my inquistor abilities to detect him either.

Help please?

Comments

• EscarcheEscarche Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2016
    I didn't have to kill him (thank god!), he left after killing the rest of bandits. He was satisfied after killing one of my party members too, but we can't have that.
  • RobertMcDuckRobertMcDuck Member Posts: 133
    I can leave him, but I'm not Happy until he lies dead by My hand.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

You might have a long wait for that...
    Fardragon said:

You might have a long wait for that...
    I realized that. I'll return later.

• batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    I just finished SoD so I've been avoiding this place for weeks and I came across this guy as well. I was struggling with this guy as well, but I found out the arcane spell failure wasn't disabled on scrolls of glitterdust for some reason and I had one of those lying around in my inventory. That did the trick and made him unable to hide in shadows^^

That very well might be a bug though, so I'm not entirely sure if it's a legit way to take him down. I won't spoil what he drops, so I'll leave that as a surprise.
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    edited May 2016
    Detect illusion helped greatly (if you don't want to do scroll-cheese; sorry, that's what that sounds like - delicious non the less).

In most playthroughs you don't want to have two rogues in your party anyway, so feel free to dump your less favorite one's points in illusion (100) and take him with you, when you expect the ambush. Gank on him with the rest of your party, ignoring his henchman, or else he'll flee after two or three of them are dead. If you manage to pull it of, you're rewarded with
    a great short sword for backstabbing.

Best of luck.

EDIT: With the spectacles of spectacle you only need 75 % in Detect Illusion. One of the few situations where you want to wear them asides from their related quest.
    batoor said:

I just finished SoD so I've been avoiding this place for weeks and I came across this guy as well. I was struggling with this guy as well, but I found out the arcane spell failure wasn't disabled on scrolls of glitterdust for some reason and I had one of those lying around in my inventory. That did the trick and made him unable to hide in shadows^^

That very well might be a bug though, so I'm not entirely sure if it's a legit way to take him down. I won't spoil what he drops, so I'll leave that as a surprise.

lucky you, should have kept some cloudkill Wands on me though
  • UnpersonUnperson Member Posts: 29

"Dead magic" areas are cheap as hell. I compensate by being even cheaper.

Other than that though, you're SOL. Dead magic means not even potions work, so outside of an extremely lucky crit by someone wielding, say, World's Edge or the Sword of Ruin, he will scurry away. That's his schtick, btw.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I think I wanded him to death with extreme prejudice whilst Corwin unloaded her most powerful arrows.

Took a couple of reloads though.
  • JurisJuris Member Posts: 113
    Huh, didn't realize you could kill the shadowy figure I just assumed that was Bodhi - she takes off after a couple rounds so I figured she was just 'testing' charname.
    The second time I did the encounter Denaheir kept dying so I just ... turned around. Your companions tell you it's a dead magic zone and you're walking into an ambush, so I listened to them. You can avoid the encounter altogether. :)
    Potions work in this zone.
  • KoyoteKoyote Member Posts: 89
    2 wands of fire killed him for me.
    Fardragon said:

Potions work in this zone.

*Healing* potions do. Potions that provide any buffs (invisibility, strength, etc) will be immediately dispelled the next round.
    But any potion that provides an instant effect works, such as Dragon Breath and Oil of Fiery Burning.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    What's the co-ordinates/zone that this guy is in? I want to gank his ass. :wink:

What's the co-ordinates/zone that this guy is in? I want to gank his ass. :wink:

Area is BD0063. It's a "waylaid" encounter you get after leaving the coalition camp for the first time, just like Drizzt's in BG2.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Unperson said:

Area is BD0063. It's a "waylaid" encounter you get after leaving the coalition camp for the first time, just like Drizzt's in BG2.

Ah, thanks!
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited May 2016
    @RobertMcDuck
    This is a very hard fight, since you cannot cast spells and that thief always targets the weakest member of the party (in my case, it was Dynaheir).
    After many loads, I just left Dynaheir behind the rest of the group, so that she was out of the his sight, and I killed him.
    I do not enjoy killing, but that death... Ahhh... So delightful!
    Aedan said:

@RobertMcDuck
    This is a very hard fight, since you cannot cast spells and that thief always targets the weakest member of the party (in my case, it was Dynaheir).
    After many loads, I just left Dynaheir behind the rest of the group, so that she was out of the his sight, and I killed him.
    I do not enjoy killing, but that death... Ahhh... So delightful!

Hiding her way behind the battlelines did not work so well for me. Ah well, I've just finished this lovely piece of game, and that cheasy little ***** had his life spared.
    I found the best way to stop the shadowy figure ganking mages is to keep your mage running all over the map.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    I actually really liked this ambush though, much respect to Beamdog for designing it^^
    edited May 2016
    When I had that fight, the first thing I thought was "I smell @AlexT here!" :)
    Did you design this battle? I really like it!
    Post edited by Aedan on
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    @Aedan pretty sure he did ;)
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Is Stunning Blow usable here? Is he vulnerable to it?
    AlexT said:

All of the unique random encounters were designed by me.

Bravo! I appreciated every single aspect of the random encounters - the settings, the fights, the mix of combat and scouting...
    Should you guys plan to develop new content to the Baldur's Gate saga, I hope you will add other random encounters like the ones we can enjoy in SOD :)
    Aedan said:

AlexT said:

Bravo! I appreciated every single aspect of the random encounters - the settings, the fights, the mix of combat and scouting...
    Should you guys plan to develop new content to the Baldur's Gate saga, I hope you will add other random encounters like the ones we can enjoy in SOD :)
    Agreed.
  • VirelaiVirelai Member Posts: 19
    AlexT said:

These were probably one of my favorite, unexpected features of SoD. I thought they really added a thoughtful and creative diversion to the game's main plot. Typically I just roll my eyes at the random encounters, but these ones I looked forward to. They reminded me much more of what a seasoned DM would throw at their players as a quick, non plot related skirmish, as opposed to... *rolls dice* "your level one party encounters 8 bandits already in a perfect circle around you with bows drawn."

• LoveViconiaLoveViconia Member Posts: 196
    He hits and kills, but when I killed his party, or he hid back, or he ran away, I did kill him after some attempts. I have no idea what party you had, but keep moving the weak ones, as soon he shows hit him, but he hides right away. It was a nice fight and, at the end none of my party died, I used my fighter to keep the rest of his party busy and played him around.
  • HuntHunt Member Posts: 27
    I'm not positive if it is the same person, but he/she says something to the effect that he/she was testing you when they leave the encounter.

In Dragonspear castle, there is a fight with the Bhargest ( I surrendered Bridgeport) where there was a character that pretty much did the same thing. I think _her_ name was Chloe. The encounter takes place at the end of the left fork of the road near where you dual the Solar. Regardless, as far as I'm concerned, I killed her(the shadowy figure) there :)