Skip to content

Might and Magic 6-8; Who is playing, or has ever played?

BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
edited October 2012 in Off-Topic
The thread title says it. I am doing an MM6 run currently while waiting for BG:EE. The voice-acting, the live-acted portraits, and the gameplay are superlative, imo. This three-game series rivals BG in its awesomeness.

Interestingly, there has never again been a live-acted avatar set tried in other games. For some reason, people almost universally panned it as "goofy", or whatever, in MM6, which was a pioneer of game art in its time. I'm just glad it got done, because those MM6 actors have become some of my best virtual friends over the years. I believe that current-day motion-capture technology, as seen in Beowulf, Jim Carrey's A Chirstmas Carol, and other movies, has somewhat resurrected the fantasy movie magic that I first experienced with MM6. Here's hoping that some or the other future games will try it again, after the anticipated wild success of BG:EE.
Post edited by BelgarathMTH on

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    MM6 is superb. Possibly the best MM game ever. MM7 is rated better and generally better in all areas, but doesn't have the novelty MM6 does. Never played MM8.

Enjoy!
  • j3cwillj3cwill Member Posts: 51
    Yeah, I totally loved MM6 and MM7. They are games that you can get swept up for hours and hours in. I have not played MM8 either, but I hope to purchase it sometime.
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    I started with MM7, and it just stuck. The same goes for Heroes of Might and Magic. There's just something about both games. In MM7, you can choose good or evil, and get corresponding classes, which I thought was pretty cool. I have yet to play MM6 or MM8 extensively though. HoMM had great spells, and I think it's quite a gem. MM2 is one of my other favourites, and I think the version for Genesis is the best. Great games.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited October 2012
    Shandyr said:

Only the "Heroes of" Spin-off-games if that counts ;)

Where do the events of Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and 3 fit in in the timeline of the Might and Magic Games?

Hooboy. If you're really interested in the vast, vast lore of the world of Enroth, (which is actually as deep or deeper, and more detailed, than Forgotten Realms lore), I would recommend the following links:

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11731
    http://mightandmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

In a nutshell, HOMM 1 is the first, historically. In the original printed manual that came with the game, Lord Ironfist Senior is presumed to have been gated involuntariy to Enroth from an unknown world. He establishes himself there, and, through his military and economic genius, defeats Lords Slayer and Alamar, and Lady Lamanda, for dominance over the continent onto which he gated.

HOMM 2 comes next, with the Succession Wars. Lord Ironfist Senior has two sons, Roland and Archibald. The canon story assumes the good path - Roland defeats Archibald, turns him to stone, and places the statue in Castle Ironfist.

Then come the events of MM6. You are part of a party of four heroes and two utility characters. The world of Enroth has been attacked by the Kreegan. You must prevent them from stripping the planet of its resources and then destroying it with their Death-Star level technology. In order to succeed, you must free Archibald from his petrification in order to access his worlds-spanning knowledge of how to defeat the superior technology of the Kreegan. Along the way, you will also meet the Ancients, who are divided into the Goa'uld like Varn, who use Egyptian art and look like the Egyptian god Anubis, and, later, in HOMM3 and MM7, the Tok'ra like "Angels".

Then come the events of HOMM 3. Queen Catherine has been forced to leave her beloved Roland and Nicholai, and to return to her home continent of Erathia, which is besieged by both Kreegan and the mysterious elemental lords.

Then, MM7. You are again part of a party of four heroes and two utility characters. King Roland has been kidnapped and spirited away to parts unknown in Erathia. You must work for Queen Catherine and rescue him. Meanwhile, Archibald has also traveled to Erathia, and is making nefarious plans. Even worse, the Ancients have returned to the planet, and the "Goa'uld" plan to start producing technology that will dominate the galaxy, while the "Tok'ra" plan to stop them, and to reopen the ancient, long-lost Stargate system and restore travel and communication to the galaxy.

Then, MM8. The Ancients, who have now left humankind to its own devices after sending the MM7 party out into the cosmos as anti-Kreegan peacekeepers, had created, long ago, a now-forgotten artificial intelligence known as Eschaton. Its mission was to stop any Kreegan it found, by any means necessary, up to and including the destruction of entire infested planets. Your new party of four adventurers and two utility characters must discover why the very elements are wreaking destruction upon the planet, and to eventually find and convince Eschaton that the Kreegan can be purged from Enroth without the destruction of the planet.

Unfortunately, after you succeed at stopping Eschaton, two foolish rivals obtain the Blade of Armaggedon and its opposite, more or less weapons composed of matter and anti-matter. They are hell-bent on mutual destruction, and they fight with the horrible blades. The Ancients (Tok'ra/Angels), are too late to prevent the final destruction of Enroth, so they save as many beings as possible and carry them through Stargates to a new planet while our beloved, lamented, doomed Enroth is slowly exploding from the core outward, due to the meeting of matter and anti-matter within its atmosphere. Thus begins the events of HOMM IV.

Whew, this game has one of the best game stories I've ever experienced.
    @Shandyr, LOL. Jon Van Cannegham, the mastermind behind the entire Might and Magic series, was almost definitely inspired by the Stargate series. Or, maybe it was the other way around.

The first episode of the Stargate TV series was released in July 1997. Might and Magic 6 was released in 1998. However, the previous installments of Might and Magic 1-5, which were DOS-based and pre-Windows, had many of the same story elements.

So, which came first, the chicken or the egg? Great minds think alike, I suppose. The story-element of the "magic portal" has been around since "Alice in Wonderland" and "The Chronicles of Narnia."
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    I saw some review of the games. But I was turned off because it seemed like a first person shooter, yet you didn't see your weapon or hands
  • Blakes7Blakes7 Member Posts: 83
    edited October 2012
    MM6 and MM7 good games, MM8 not good at all, I would recommend you avoid but to each there own.

(oops meant to say MM9 not good not MM8)

Things I especially liked were the diverse enemies, lots of area to explore (also diverse areas), mini-games, factions and skill trees - through occasionally a pain to find a master or grand master. Also the game had a certain ambiance which helped to convey the feeling of being there i.e the shop interfaces and buildings had good sounds and ambient effects.
    Post edited by Blakes7 on
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    I only played a might and magic 2 or 3 cant remember. Was on the amiga together with a friend and the game was hugeeeeeeeee....
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Man alive. I played Heroes of Might and Magic back in the day... I think I played 3 and 4 the most. That shit was CRAZY ADDICTIVE. Good times. I need to buy a cheap copy off ebay or something.
    edited October 2012
    @HaHaCharade, you can get a package deal on MM 1-6 from gog.com for only 10 dollars. They are already adjusted and patched to work on Windows 7. They also have similar bargains on the HOMM games and on MM 7 and 8.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644

@HaHaCharade, you can get a package deal on MM 1-6 from gog.com for only 10 dollars. They are already adjusted and patched to work on Windows 7. They also have similar bargains on the HOMM games and on MM 7 and 8.

Holy crap. Done and done. Thanks! LOL

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    edited October 2012
    @Shandyr, yes, I'm aware of the things you mention. IMO, Homm5 and Homm6 don't even deserve to carry the name. I'm kind of an Ubisoft-hater, because I see them as having destroyed a beloved franchise.

That Might and Magic X fan project has been going on for many, many years. I've about given up that they're ever going to actually get a game out, but they aren't dead yet.

I go to the Celestial Heavens website frequently. This is where all the remaining fans of Homm and MM hang out, and they have a vast library of Homm maps you can download.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/index.php?sid=435ace2190284256258adb60fe205520

There was a Might and Magic IX rushed out the door right before 3DO and New World Computing shut down. It was released in a very unfinished state, and did not hold true to the spirit of the game. Most fans, including me, thought it was such a horrible abomination that we do not even acknowledge its existence.

Homm IV was also a move in a "new" direction, going to a new planet and all that, so many fans didn't like that release, either. For them it all ended with Homm III. I enjoyed Homm IV for its gameplay, which was admittedly quite different from Homm I-III, but whatever story there was was so forgettable that, well, I forgot it.

So, for me as a fan, this beloved story arc ends with the destruction of the planet Enroth at the beginning of Homm IV, which gives it a tragic ending. It's also kind of a "wtf - I just spent the last 15 years of my life saving this fictional planet, and they blow it all up, just like that?" kind of ending. So, I prefer to think that the story ends with the saving of Enroth from the artificial intelligence Eschaton at the end of MM8, and that everybody lived happily ever after, and history marched on.
  • Lord_GayLord_Gay Member Posts: 94
    edited October 2012
    Ah, MM, one of my fav series. I've played all of them, MM1-9, but didn't finish the first two. 3 was awesome, really liked the art style, and 4/5 on the world of Xeen was a lot of fun. 6 was my favorite by far. In Xeen, One of the most memorable things for me at the time was that you could develop your home base, as in, add extra features. That was mind blowing since I'd never seen that in another game, and I loved it. You could also do it in 7, where your castle gets improvements after certain quests.

Belgar did a great job detailing some of the history. Let me add a simple synopsis.

The Ancients were a peaceful, knowledge-loving powerful race that spread across the universe. They created worlds with four letter names and linked them in a vast technological network sharing information and travel. Then they ran into the Kreegan, a monstrous race bent on destruction and consumption of resources. The Kreegan and Ancients fought, and the Kreegan destroyed the network. With the link broken, all the planets were now on their own and the peoples eventually degraded technologically to a medieval level. They turned to magic as a result. Here's a link with a good accounting of this history. Major spoilers.

http://www.angelfire.com/ma3/neatpics/mmhistory.html

What I liked was how the games connected in the lengthy continuation of a story. It's rare to find a game series like that. For example, your eight member party disappears at the end of MM3, apparently lost in space. However, they show up again and become the plot point of MM7. Several names in the games like Crag Hack and Sandro were in the very first MM1. Not Homm 1, MM1.

6 was awesome, 7 was good, 8 was decent, and 9 shall not be mentioned. Apparently Caneghem spent all his time with his race cars during MM9, didn't communicate with the design team at all, and when he came back when the game was near completion, told them it was all wrong and wanted them to do it over, so they started to change it, but it was too late, and it just got all Fucked up. A disappointing end to an awesome series.

There is also a great fan mod for Homm3 called In the Wake of Gods, which adds a lot of content. @belgarathmth, did you ever play any peasant games in MM6?

"So, I prefer to think that the story ends with the saving of Enroth from the artificial intelligence Eschaton at the end of MM8, and that everybody lived happily ever after, and history marched on. "

I do the same thing; everything past MM8 is ignored. It's a shame Ubisoft bought the M&M name and then totally debased it. Dark Messiah had nothing to do with MM. Piss on Ubisoft.

Homm 2 intro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py9tNdQlzI0

MM6 intro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zfn4RXj2BA

For those who have seen the movie Serenity, I was watching the beginning and right after the Universal logo faded, I started saying "they came from the depths of the void..." Watch the beginnings of the MM6 and serenity vids and you'll see the similarity.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-_uGEJb7hbm7m/serenity_2005_river_in_class/
    edited October 2012
    Did you play Homm 3 with WOG?
    edited October 2012
    edited October 2012
    @Lord_Gay, wow, I wish I could give you insightful, agree, and like all three for that wonderful post. You did so much a better job summarizing the story arc and the series than I did, trying to do it from memory off the top of my head. I read that whole synopsis in the link you provided.

One of the mysteries that fans still debate about is, who are the angels? The series didn't really make it clear. I always just thought they were the servants of the Ancients, or that maybe they *were* the Ancients, but other fans have other theories, and I've seen heated arguments break out over the issue.

I don't know what you mean by "peasant games" in MM6, but no, I've only every played the vanilla game. (Over and over - I've got a run going right now.)

The intro movie to MM6 is the best video game intro movie I've ever seen. Panning in from outer space, and then seeing the dragon flying over the sea from underneath, and then from behind as it passes over the camera, and that fantastic music, puts me in exactly the same emotional state as the famous intro scene to Star Wars Episode IV, where the rebel blockade runner and the imperial star destroyer pass over the camera with Tatooine below.

EDIT:

I think the MM8 intro movie is also pretty good. It has good scenes of the elemental destruction spreading across the planet, along with more really good music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umdHn82z3gI
    Shandyr said:

And there's one thing I always wondered:

That was explained in the readme. It was an unfortunate consequence of applying the mod to the game. Still worth it.

@Lord_Gay, wow, I wish I could give you insightful, agree, and like all three for that wonderful post. You did so much a better job summarizing the story arc and the series than I did, trying to do it from memory off the top of my head. I read that whole synopsis in the link you provided.

Thank you for the high praise! I'm glad you enjoyed the link. It's slightly off a teeny bit but otherwise a good summary.
    One of the mysteries that fans still debate about is, who are the angels? The series didn't really make it clear. I always just thought they were the servants of the Ancients, or that maybe they *were* the Ancients, but other fans have other theories, and I've seen heated arguments break out over the issue.
    I missed the angel debates, but I don't think for a second they have anything to do with the Ancients. That's not in keeping with the style of the developers.
    I don't know what you mean by "peasant games" in MM6, but no, I've only every played the vanilla game. (Over and over - I've got a run going right now.)
    You've never heard of the peasant games?! Oh you sweet boy/girl/man/woman/person/hologram/thing!

http://users.icnet.net/~klar/MISC/MODs.html

The concept is simple. You start with no gold, no items, and all your stats are 0. That's right, 0, including your level. The link contains saved games you can download that were modified with an editor. Once you've played with a party of peasants, for more challenge, you can then try to play with a solo peasant. Then you could even try a solo peasant that never levels (finishing at level 0). There are also saves for 7-9 as well, including different themes. If you google, I'm sure you can find numerous old threads of people discussing their peasant games.

There are a ton of other SIRs you can do also, to make your game more challenging, like no shop, no loot, or no black.
    The intro movie to MM6 is the best video game intro movie I've ever seen. Panning in from outer space, and then seeing the dragon flying over the sea from underneath, and then from behind as it passes over the camera, and that fantastic music, puts me in exactly the same emotional state as the famous intro scene to Star Wars Episode IV, where the rebel blockade runner and the imperial star destroyer pass over the camera with Tatooine below.
    I once started writing some fanfic based on the MM6 intro, then my hard drive died. : (

edited October 2012
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    edited October 2012
    @Shandyr, great soundtracks! I'm definitely a huge Paul Romero fan.

For Homm 2, the ones I really love are the second set of sound tracks that came with the Price of Loyalty expansion pack; a lot of people don't know about those. They were the first CD quality tracks that got released, using full orchestra instead of midi.

Here's the sorceress, starting with a beautiful flute solo over strings and harp, and then a soprano singing "Stay in peace, who is worthy, stay in peace today, peace to they who come, peace to they who come" it's the only one of the opera arias that's sung in English for the whole series - the rest are all in German.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCURN3qjOk0

Another favorite - the baritone warlock singing in the style of Richard Wagner, after a long introduction reminiscent of Ride of the Valkyries:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4QCVD5gYmM

My favorite from HOMM I, a baroque rondo. There's a delightful English Horn solo at 1:04:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2XfsQp056Y

And the warlock, whose castle plays an orchestration of the Rondeau in D minor from the Bach English Suites for Harpsichord:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvroIwdQx9g

You might enjoy this interview with Paul Romero, where he talks about how he composed the tracks, and his relationship with sound producer Rob King:

The first 40 seconds of the video are of the interviewer explaining how he got the interview - he's just a regular guy, a college student.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNtzj-S1rLY

@Shandyr, great soundtracks! I'm definitely a huge Paul Romero fan.

For Homm 2, the ones I really love are the second set of sound tracks that came with the Price of Loyalty expansion pack; a lot of people don't know about those. They were the first CD quality tracks that got released, using full orchestra instead of midi.

Here's the sorceress, starting with a beautiful flute solo over strings and harp, and then a soprano singing "Stay in peace, who is worthy, stay in peace today, peace to they who come, peace to they who come" it's the only one of the opera arias that's sung in English for the whole series - the rest are all in German.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCURN3qjOk0

Another favorite - the baritone warlock singing in the style of Richard Wagner, after a long introduction reminiscent of Ride of the Valkyries:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4QCVD5gYmM

My favorite from HOMM I, a baroque rondo. There's a delightful English Horn solo at 1:04:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2XfsQp056Y

And the warlock, whose castle plays an orchestration of the Rondeau in D minor from the Bach English Suites for Harpsichord:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvroIwdQx9g

You might enjoy this interview with Paul Romero, where he talks about how he composed the tracks, and his relationship with sound producer Rob King:

The first 40 seconds of the video are of the interviewer explaining how he got the interview - he's just a regular guy, a college student.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNtzj-S1rLY

Thanks for this. Whenever I think of HoMM, I think of this song. Great game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzAFIH1X0tY&list=PLB1DA969E8C03AD7B&index=35&feature=plpp_video
    @fighter_mage_thief, ah, yes, the barbarian castle. Great harpsichord work, there. It's interesting how Romero went baroque period for the first game, and then, as the game evolved through its incarnations, the style period of Romero's music evolved forward through music history. He was using 19th century romantic and impressionistic style for most of Homm2 and Homm3, and he was in full-blown 20th century movie music style for Homm IV and beyond.
    edited October 2012
    @Shandyr, I think Romero wanted to keep all that German-style opera in German. The sorceress' song is closer to Celtic style, so I guess he thought that English language fit the style of the music for that one piece.

German opera in anything but German would be kind of an abomination to any opera lover. Most opera lovers are also enthusiastic foreign languages students, especially German and Italian.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    I think i played 1,2 and 3 many years ago along with the early ultima's and another series i forget the name of, then fell out of love with the MM series and never picked it back up again.
    edited October 2012
    deleted comment, see new topic on NWN if interested.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/5753/neverwinter-nights