Skip to content

BG/IWD infinite reroll vs P:T/NWN point buy

fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
Edit: In response to some who prefer rerolling, and stress that it isn't important in a single player game, what about BG:EE? For me, the only real draw of this enhanced version is multiplayer support. There aren't going to be any major changes to the gameplay, storyline, not many or any new items (although perhaps old items in new locations), and a few new characters. If I buy this game it will be because of multiplayer, since you could simply make a BG mod to achieve the same things with respect to the minor game tweaks or new characters.

I think a point buy system like in Planescape would be great for BG:EE, in addition to some other changes, such as only one stat tome per character (not one tome per stat, but one tome only), and no same-potion stacking (i.e. two Potions of Genius giving 8 Intelligence). None of this is likely to be done, but I think these things, among some other things, would make the multiplayer experience a lot more enjoyable, as opposed to occasionally meeting a player who has characters with 25 in all stats.

Even if a map editor was added, which enabled players to make their own maps, and host servers, a lot of this could be achieved without requiring the BG:EE team to do it.

Thanks for the responses by the way = )

----------------------------------------

I personally prefer the point buy system from Planescape Torment. No character should have more than two stats of 18 without some major detriments to other stats. I also like how you can buy 18/00 Strength, although it costs three or four extra stats. I always found the reroll system of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale to be a little ridiculous, although I loved the games.

I included Neverwinter Nights in here because it's slightly different from P:T, since to get 15 and 16 in a stat, it takes 2 points each, and to get 17 and 18, it takes 3 points each, a total of 14 points to raise a stat from 10 to 18, whereas apart from a Strength of 18/00, that's possible with only 8 points in P:T.
  1. BG/IWD infinite reroll vs P:T/NWN point buy87 votes
    1. reroll
      71.26%
    2. point buy
      28.74%
Post edited by fighter_mage_thief on

Comments

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    Point buy is really a 3rd edition thing I think. PS:T may of used a hybrid or "house rules" system.
  • MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    Point buy. In a system with unlimited rerolls, random chance is not an effective balancing mechanic. What works in PnP does not necessarily work in a game.
  • OperativeNLOperativeNL Member Posts: 146
    Point buy. Unlimited rerolls make the game unrealistic I think, and the fact that with a random roll the first couple of rolls can simply be horrible bad ones, there is a huge grey area in what I should be considering a "reasonable" amount of attribute points to have.
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    edited October 2012
    I don't really see the BG/IWD system as deeply flawed, but I think the PS:T/3E required a lot more thought and consideration at character creation. The closest I've ever come to a tabletop PnP is Arkham Horror, so I have no idea what my feeling are outside of CRPGs.
  • waardeniuswaardenius Member Posts: 58
    Generally speaking, and in more modern PnP-rpgs, I do prefer point buy as it actually provides balance in a ruleset where so many different things depends on and derive limitations from the attributes.

In Baldur's Gate, however, I say dice rolls, since it is what we're used to and the game itself not being that bothered about balance anyway.

Without much experience of actual PnP-playing of older DnD-editions, I have also got the impression that the attribute scores in general tended to be lower, whilst this in itself didn't have that much of an impact on your character's performance as long as you avoided the extremes. In these kinds of games I tend to prefer the system where you roll 3d6 six times, write the scores down, and then apply these fixed scores depending on the character you have in mind.
    mlnevese said:

I just like the randomness. If you don't wan't "unrealistic" stats, do not reroll for hours...

The flesh is weak...

• FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Can I get an option 3? ShadowKeeper/DaleKeeper/other save editor.

Point buys make sense for multiplayer (MMO/persistent worlds) games but I don't really like the restriction in single player ones since it means that, for example, if you want a brainiac Fighter, he's going to have to be weaker/uglier/less hardy because of...karma? I like the difference in relative powers of NPCs in BG. Sarevok is statistically awesome and so he should be.
    I still don't understand the point the rerollers are making. If you so want characters with high stats, point buy is still better. If you have tons of points, you can still make your character with three 18s. You just won't have to waste time rerolling for 15 minutes. If you want overpowered or balanced characters, point buy is still a better system.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Neither system is exactly fantastic.
    Reroll obviously has it's problems, but points buy usually ends up with a formulaic set of stats for every character. Not that this doesnt happen for rerolls too.
    2nd ed isn't balanced for points buy - stats under 14 typically do nothing wheras stats over 14 get progressively more awesome. In 3ed points buy typically means every single character starts with even numbers for thier stats.
    Nothing works.
  • LosgornLosgorn Member Posts: 5
    I prefer the reroll method and it's random results, it feels more natural with some characters and npcs having uber stats and some with completely useless ones gives it more of a real life feel. I find the point buy system is just a way of trying to give everyone an equal oppontunity and find it less appealing.
  • waardeniuswaardenius Member Posts: 58
    I think it's important to stress that there's quite a big difference between what suits Pnp vis a vis computer games, as well as what suits different rulesets.

For the Baldur's Gate experience, dice rolls is obviously the only good and true option.

what suits Pnp vis a vis computer games

Face to face?
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    @Millardkillmoore The point is that in games like IWD you have a limited not limitless( and certainly not a high number of )points. You can't make a character with 18/18/18/14/10/14. Meaning a charismatic and somewhat intelligent fighter. You can make an average fighter with mediocre charisma and who is somewhat above average in intelligence.
    In multiplayer games it makes sense not to let someone roll stats which are a lot above those of other players. In single player games you often play an exceptional character. If you want to play a "perfect" character from the point of view of stats, you should be able to do so if you want to reroll and reroll.
    Of course neither version is always to my taste. Often I would like to assign all attributes based on the personality I've envisioned for my PC and I would like just blank "text-boxes" where I can write 8/19/16/18/18/16 without rerolling for ages or having limited points and being forced to lower "dump stats" too low. :) But that's never going to happen and anyway that's what editors are for.

@Millardkillmoore The point is that in games like IWD you have a limited not limitless( and certainly not a high number of )points. You can't make a character with 18/18/18/14/10/14. Meaning a charismatic and somewhat intelligent fighter. You can make an average fighter with mediocre charisma and who is somewhat above average in intelligence.
    In multiplayer games it makes sense not to let someone roll stats which are a lot above those of other players. In single player games you often play an exceptional character. If you want to play a "perfect" character from the point of view of stats, you should be able to do so if you want to reroll and reroll.
    Of course neither version is always to my taste. Often I would like to assign all attributes based on the personality I've envisioned for my PC and I would like just blank "text-boxes" where I can write 8/19/16/18/18/16 without rerolling for ages or having limited points and being forced to lower "dump stats" too low. :) But that's never going to happen and anyway that's what editors are for.

If you want a "perfect" character, then the best system is a point buy that gives you tons and tons of points. It's still better than rerolling over and over and pretending that this is a balancing mechanic. You might as well make it convenient instead of needlessly convoluted.

I like balanced characters and thus prefer a point buy system with limited points. If I wanted very powerful characters, I'd rather the game just gave me the ability to give my character high stats across te board than waste my time rerolling.
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    @Millardkillmoore At preset a point system with tons and tons of points doesn't exist (to my knowledge) in any game. :) They all encourage you to specialize in one particular area.
    But, as I said before, it's not my problem. If I don't plan ahead my characters I make do with what is offered in the game I'm playing. If I roleplay characters based on a character sheet I made for them I adjust things in editors without spending too much time in character creation. In BG for example I only rolled 18/00 (perfect strength) on two characters and they were both ranged :)
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    As i told before in the other thread. Planescape: Torment (and neverwinter nights 2 also) give you 1 atribute point at each 2 levels (more or less) and you end the game there with 25 in 2 atributes and 22 (or more maybe) in other 2 atributes. There's no sense in try to half-copy PS:T system, unless the NPCs in BG start to get the atribute points per level, what i don't want by the way.
  • _N8__N8_ Member Posts: 77
    Reroll is better for RP purposes. That is, until you reroll 100 times so you can get the best stats. In that case it's worse than point buy.
  • KaxonKaxon Member Posts: 156
    In a brand new game point buy makes more sense, but rerolling is part of Baldur's Gate and I enjoy it.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited October 2012
    Reroll + Self restraint > Point buy > Reroll
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    The reason why the game is the way it is.....is because its based on 2 dn edition rules. BG recreated the D&D experience, down to the die rolls. Ergo, point buying makes no sense what so ever. The point of rolling the dice is randomness, you aren't meant to roll 100 times trying to get the 'perfect' score ( though the game gives you hat option) . The game could be won by a character with all 10a ( actually, perhaps there should be a low stat play through option ;) . Thankfully, there is no chance of this changing.
    If people want to cheat, isn't point buy that gonna change that, CLUAConsole and Shadow Keeper are there for this. Ask for a point buy system in multi-player (under a DM settings configuration) and you people have more chance of being heard by the devs.

Again i say, want to make point buy? Give the entire package so, all point buy games (that i know) give extra atribute points after x level ups, in the end, point buy is more cheese than reroll, for this reason that i prefer reroll, you got what you got at the begin, after that, every single extra atribute point you permanent get is a victory.
  • Lord_GayLord_Gay Member Posts: 94
    I think the ideal option would be to just have empty boxes where players can type in the numbers they want. For single-player, it's your game, so why can't you play it however you wish?

Personally, I use a home variant of the point buy rules merged with the old 3d6 method. Charname gets 63 points to spend (avg of 3d6 * 6), with price modifiers for very high and very low scores.
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    I'm thinking of doing a few playthroughs where I actually roll the stats by dice, and then create the character based on what they fall into. For fun last night, I rolled the stats for a group of eight adventurers. Here were my decisions.

9 12 14 12 12 10 is a half-elf mage/cleric.
    7 10 6 10 12 14 is an elven cleric.
    9 12 8 5 11 13 is a human thief.
    8 10 13 12 10 11 is a human mage.
    12 13 15 10 11 7 is a dwarven fighter/cleric.
    13 16 8 12 10 7 is a half-elf fighter/mage.
    10 17 12 9 12 15 is an elven fighter/thief.
    8 8 7 11 12 14 is a human cleric.

These are based on stat restrictions of race and class. It's quite a ragtag band.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    One roll only. Don't like it? Reload the game.

Getting a high roll would take on a whole new meaning (that is, either you're lucky or really determined.)
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    edited October 2012
    Mortianna said:

One roll only. Don't like it? Reload the game.

Getting a high roll would take on a whole new meaning (that is, either you're lucky or really determined.)

Or better yet, one roll per cd key. If you don't like it, buy a new copy. ^ ^

You also have a function set into the game where you must register to play, and two copies can't be registered by the same person.
    "I got really bad stats, so I had to register a new copy in my dog's name."

"Legends speak of a copy where a player can actually start with 18 in all stats, and 18/00 strength. It is the holy grail of Baldur's Gate copies."
    If you don't like use shadow keeper also, serious, what to use buy points? Make a base point, roll the dice until you got a sum of what you wanna spent and just use the points to the limit you made by yourself in your roleplay, does it is really necessary to fuck other people fun so people that like buy points will feel better? If you don't like cheese status, report Sarevok, cos he surely spent at least 2 hours to roll those status.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited October 2012

Or better yet, one roll per cd key. If you don't like it, buy a new copy. ^ ^

LOL! Nice! I think that would be the BG:EE Draconian edition.

You also have a function set into the game where you must register to play, and two copies can't be registered by the same person.
    "I got really bad stats, so I had to register a new copy in my dog's name."

ROFLOL...There might be more animals registered than humans if that were the case!

"Legends speak of a copy where a player can actually start with 18 in all stats, and 18/00 strength. It is the holy grail of Baldur's Gate copies."

...and the saga of the "High Roller" begins.