Skip to content

Portraits

Comments

• Zymran86Zymran86 Member Posts: 137
    Thats pretty cool, thanks for uploading :)
    You dont happen to have any more early version portraits?
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    very cool. I spotted this portrait on my TotSC box among the other portraits, but never found it on the web :) Thanks for the upload!
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Any artists out there who can clean up that picture? Fix colors and whatnot?
  • SanctiferSanctifer Member Posts: 104
    eo
    It's early version of the Edwin Odesseiron portrait from Baldur's Gate, probably. This picture was taken from cardboard box of polish edition BG 1.
    It would be nice to see this portrait in BGEE.

Oh yeah, that would be awesome !

• ParysParys Member Posts: 205
    Thats pretty cool, thanks for uploading :)
    You dont happen to have any more early version portraits?
    sorry, i don't have any other early version portraits :(
    btw, the above edwin portrait is more accurately to forgotten realms red wizard appearance (typical magic tattoos and shaved heads probably) than official version.
    I wonder if current bg dev team has already mentioned portrait amongst their own resources files, best possible picture quality i mean.
    bonus:
    left side: original eldoth portrait
    right side: eldoth portrait from bg1 polish edition box
    he has a slightly different face expression, that's all.
    sorry for poor quality pictures
    stephanmartins
    while on the topic of portraits, does anyone know the full name of the artist who made all the BG1 original portraits? I'd like to see if he's made any more art in the same vein that could be converted into BG portraits :)
  • Spjuv3rnSpjuv3rn Member Posts: 61
    @Winthal I could be mistaken but im pretty sure it was Mike Sass.
    lolien
    @Spjuv3rn He definitely made the BG2 portraits, I checked his page, but no reference to the BG1 portraits, and besides the art style of the rest of his works doesn't look anything like them... hmm...
  • Spjuv3rnSpjuv3rn Member Posts: 61
    @Winthal Just checked the BG I manual and it says he was in charge of the portrait art.
    lolien
    @Spjuv3rn Huh... guess he changed style. My main concern atm is that the new portraits won't really mesh very well with the old ones, disturbing the overall art direction and feel of the game. I might be a tad picky, but I really hate blending different art styles in my portraits...

Thanks for looking it up for me by the way, much obliged :)
    edited June 2012
    @winthal ,
    Its hard for 2 artists to match style and weve seen too little of his art in the game to know how it will look like, the friendly arm inn has quite a dark history, it wasnt such a friendly arm originally, it was a undead priest of bhaals stronghold so the artwork fit in.
    Im interested in seeing a few more portraits from his work, elves and dwarfs etc will there be any more news soon?
    @Zymran86 I actually like Nat's scenery art that we've seen so far, I think they fit the style pretty well. I think you can get away with things like chapter backdrops being a tad different than the originals, but portraits will be lined up next to each other, and different art styles really stick out. I took the one new portrait that we've seen so far and lined it up against the old ones, and it doesn't look good... would probably fit much better with the BG2 portraits however, which is good news for BG2:EE
    edited June 2012
    @Winthal
    I havent really compared the portraits so i wont voice any opinion about that, but i think the BG 2 portraits where abit cooler than the BG 1's becuse they werent so "real", it was abit fantasy feel over them, however he did catch the darkness in his portrait from BG 1 portraits :)
    I would like to see more portraits created by him.

Its quite funny how portraits and voice sets can bring life to a few sprites and create a good gaming experience.
    Just out of curiosity I created some comparison images to really see how the new portrait style fits with both the BG1 and BG2 styles.

Judging from this, I still think the new style goes better with the BG2 portraits IF it was made brighter with a warmer color choice for the background.
    AzL0npaulsifer42Kirinaldog314
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited June 2012
    Honestly, I think it goes both ways:

1. Change his skin tone to fit the BG1 characters, and he'd blend in perfectly.

2. Make the portrait brighter and it would fit with the BG2 portraits (though the perspective is a bit off for the BG2 portraits, he needs to be facing a bit more directly to us).

EDIT: I just thought of this but the new NPC looks a lot more like a Red Wizard of Thay than Edwin, lol.
    Fredjo
    edited June 2012
    @Winthal
    Well i think this portrait is quite cool, but i cant judge everything based on 1 portrait. im sorry :)
    I would like to see how he created forgotten realms Elves and Dwarfs.
    But they havent announced anything about any new portraits at all yet unfourtenetly, so.
    @Tanthalas When I look at the small version of the portrait, which was my attempt to mimic the right character bar, it doesn't look too bad :) But up close, the art styles are just too distinctly different, it's not just a matter of brighter or shinier skin tone, the BG1 portraits are simply painted in a much more realistic style then Nat's portrait. You're absolutely right about the proportions being abit off compared to the BG2 portraits though, it looks as if this portrait was created with the BG1 portraits proportions in mind.

@Zymran86 It really is a very badass portrait isn't it? I'm thinking he looks like a dark cleric/warrior type... and yeah, I'd love to see more portraits too :) Btw, one solution could simply be for Nat to paint new versions of the old NPC's, his take on old classics like Minsc and Tiax etc., I wouldn't be opposed to this since the game is being changed quite a bit anyway...
    tena
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    I think he fits well with other BG1 portraits, but yeah the skin tone is a bit off as @Tanthalas 's point 1.
    edited June 2012
    @winthal Im not sure about redrawing the already created ones, it might take too much time? i would like to have other portraits to choose from that has not been seen before.
    I would also like to have abit more evil themed ones, since most of the portraits in Baldurs Gate felt "Good" and the ones that werent good looked abit odd (Refering to Shar'teel's, she was quite a cool NPC but she should have had a Neutral face expression, that would have made her face better looking in my opinio,) and Xzars portrait felt abit odd aswell, but he was a great NPC nonetheless)
    Post edited by Zymran86 on
    @Zymran85 Some graphical artists work really fast tho, throwing together a portrait like this could be just a matter of a few hours... varies from artist to artist of course. New portraits to use for the protagonist would be nice too, the old ones are used to death by now!
    @Winthal If new portraits (If there are any at all) wont suffer becouse of Re-coloring/remake of the old portraits it could be quite cool.
    edited June 2012
    I tried to use the new portait in my game for my PC, it is a very dark portrait and tough to make out details. With the small portrait it was really hard to tell if he was hurt a little bit or not because his outfit is about the same color as the blood damage.
    unfortunate_onepaulsifer42
  • StradlinStradlin Member Posts: 142
    edited June 2012
    I think he fits well. Guy is a touch pale for sure but then, portrait as a whole is uhm, rich in color and classy in same ways originals are. Him being pale appears in my eyes as a character trait rather than ill fitting art style or such. He'd do well without the tribal smeared all over his face though!

...Wish we had more new NPCs than just one. So easy to get greedy and unreasonable when in fanboyiniwaiting- mode:p I hate being in fanboy mode, I can virtually always dodge this particular bullet. Not with a Baldur's Gate related release though. No way.

@smeagolheart
    Haha, can def imagine this red tunic of him making things very annoying with vanilla BGs health display. Somehow I assume they have done something with it though. But eh.
    tena
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Personally, I don't like the red thing on portraits when you lose HP, I'd rather they add a healthbar beneath each portrait or on the side.
    Mortianna
    @Winthal By redrawing the old portraits, do you mean redraw them completly, or just recolor them to make them more color in-tune with the new portrait?
    It feels abit like some portraits from BG 1 NPCs and BG 2 NPCs are like night and day, take a look at Jaheira, Imoen and Viconia's portraits for example.
    Personally, I don't like the red thing on portraits when you lose HP, I'd rather they add a healthbar beneath each portrait or on the side.
    I don't mind it, saves space on the UI screen by having it over the portrait. Though it's hard when your dude has red clothes because it matches the blood.

@Zymran86 Ideally, the old Bg1 art style could be mimicked much better, but since that is very unlikely, the second best thing is for the old portraits to be completely redrawn, so yes I mean completely new portraits of old favorites like Minsc, Khalid etc. It would give the game a slightly different feel along with the rest of the changes, I think I'd be ok with something like that.

What will most likely happen tho is that the game will keep all the original portraits, *maybe* add some new ones for the protagonist, and of course the new party member, and that they will simply be mixed.
    tenaYorleen
  • AzL0nAzL0n Member Posts: 126
    edited June 2012
    I don't think this new NPC fits with the Baldur's gate 1 portraits at all which isn't surprising since it's extremely hard for an artist to copy another artist's style. This new artist is amazing though, I hope he does all the art for BG3.
    Winthal
    Is there any chance that the BG:EE team could answer if theres going to be any new portraits for the player? and if we could see some more of this artist work/ Portraits perhaps?
    paulsifer42artastrophe