Skip to content

Legacy of Bhaal difficulty

So I tried Legacy of Bhaal difficulty for my new playthrough and I've got my party to around lvl 5, just finished the mines and I'm now doing the rest of the outside areas. My question is, is anybody having fun with this difficulty mode? I'm all for a challenge but this is kind of silly. It feels the same as HoF only without the extra exp.

I'm really not liking this mode, I dig SCS and Tactics but this mode just takes way too long to get anything done.

Comments

• BelfaldurnikBelfaldurnik Member Posts: 212

So I tried Legacy of Bhaal difficulty for my new playthrough and I've got my party to around lvl 5, just finished the mines and I'm now doing the rest of the outside areas.

Level 5 and "the mines"? Nashkel mines? If so, that's in BGEE not SOD yet,

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50966/legacy-of-bhaal-difficulty

since SOD starts at 64000 XP (level 7) if starting from scratch and likely more if coming from BGEE.
  • DasieqDasieq Member Posts: 135
    Whats bad in this mode? I played my first whole game with it BG!1+SoD+BG2 and I really enjoyed it. You have more exp in this mode bcs you have more enemies to kill. So its kinda exp bonus. Whats the problem exactly?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
  • longjo83longjo83 Member Posts: 14
    edited May 2016
    The first half of BG1 in LoB mode was brutal, but the second half was a fun challenge. The key is leveling up enough so your HP withstands at least 2 rounds of attacks so you can actually strategize against a group of 100HP hobgoblins. Archers are tough. I coasted through chapters 5, 6, and 7 without much trouble.

Then I started up SoD and good lord that prologue level was near impossible. I had to rest between rooms, summon everything possible, and use all of my +2 ammo. The dang hordes of undead that chased down my party en masse were devestating. Those shadow guys were murdering my PC every time they saw her. I'm scared to go on in this mode honestly.
  • who_is_danielwho_is_daniel Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 98
    Wow, that sounds like fun. My next playthrough will now be Legacy of Bhaal mode.
  • karfkarf Member Posts: 5
    Well I thought the same and started a new game on this difficulty too.

Wolfs and Xvarts with 100 HP and incredible good ETWO are really fun! ....ehm....
    Seriously, did you guys do some testing or balancing at all for this mode? A simple Xvart wouldn't be possible without a huge amount of laming and the use of ranged weapons.

I hope this problem will solve with a few levels but the way they hit me with like every second hit gives me some doubts about that.
    I wanted a real challenge and some thoughtful new fights, but for now it looks mor like they just multiplied HP of every monster by 10 and gave them like a ten bonus to Hitrolls.

But he, we will see how this will evolve in later game.
  • BelfaldurnikBelfaldurnik Member Posts: 212
    edited June 2016
    It's not that much. Only HP*3+80, +1 APR and lowered ST/THAC0/AC if some sources are to be believed.

Key to not fighting for hours with only ranged attacks has been to seek easier prey first and return to harder fights later with better equipment and improved skills: http://steamcommunity.com/app/228280/discussions/3/364040166676601606/

Not that bad overall. My primary and only problem with LOB mode is that once the mode has been experienced with a party, why replay with a different possibly less suitable party? I couldn't imagine playing LOB mode with a backstabbing assassin, where the lowered AC of enemies would hurt a lot and the poison damage would be neglectable.

The topic about LOB mode and BG2EE has been disturbed by a hater unfortunately:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/257350/discussions/0/371919771763892146/#c364043054116510091
    Post edited by Belfaldurnik on
    Ah, thanks for the information. :)

The lowered THAC0 is the trick for me... and there is no real easier prey than Xvarts... ^^

But I will see how this will work out wit a few levels more. So far, thanks for the links, I really appreciate that.
    Well okay...
    after a few more hours and even reading through the links, I think I am done with it. It's a shame but I might be a complete moron...
    So please help me to varify if I did something terrible stupid or if this is really intentional:

Friendly Arm Inn:
    - Mage was impossible without canceling his spells by entering and leaving the temple until he ran out. Even after that I needed to kite him to death... Onetime he even clubbered a guard down in his furious staffrage
    - With Khalid and Jaheira, onward to Hobgobos. First one was encountered bravely... well at least one time. Afterwards with a sharpened sense for danger, four ranged heros engaged him.... oh and yeah, the rest of his band, thats the stuff heroes are made of, I guess?

Picking up Viconia:
    - Short, impossible. The Hitpoints, the THAC0, everything is ok with the flaming fist bro. The new enhanced spellbook isn't. Yeah, one might say "hey, go pick her up later!" but due to her con and the enhanced damage this wouldn't be a good alternative I guess. Well okay, maybe I will pick up Branwen, a decent Cleric as well for me.

Beregost:
    - Hm, maybe pick up Neira and see what they changed in her dialog? Apparently no good Idea. Her hunters smashed everyone. I even deactivated the bonus damage because I was desperate but nope... I wasn't able to kill the mage before he killed the poor pink haired girl in his last words (five times). Thats it, time to clarify some things and check out the links from the nice forumsguy...

Well, appareantly the "solution" to this is the following:
    Sneak by every enemy to buy a protection from petrification, lame down some basilisks to get a few levels. Afterwards, "clever use of game mechanics", which technically means use your laming spells (hold, web, stinky cloud,...) and reload until they work, murder the helpless foes and write your story down (of course at this point you add some heroism into the story).

Hm, don't get me wrong on this one. I wont call shannanigans, but apparently we got a different definition of difficulty here. I am no complete moron in this region, i finshed the nightmare Dragon age origins (that was allready borderline lame sometimes), iron man mastermode Xcom1 and 2 (the new ones) and even the old enemy unknown (well... not terror from the deep, I gave that one up but only after like hundred attempts).
    So, feel free to enlighten me if I missed some importnant things. But if this is the "way to play", clever use (or abuse?) of game mechanics, excessive loading for failed saving throws from the enemy until you reach a point there one might call it glitching.... well then I will use my time somewhat better.

Sincerely, still a big friend of your studio and work, Karf