Skip to content

Share your BG memories!

Comments

• Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    I remember the first time I played, I got to the knoll stronghold as a relatively low level party. It took everything I had to finished off the hoard of knolls. I remember at the end I even ran out of arrows and used all my spells. Half my party was dead. Eventually after several reloads I won, then dragged bag my dead party members to resurrect.

Another good time was. My first play through, playing a third, I broke into ever house in berg host, robbing the peasants of their worthless gems and few coins. Not profitable, but fun nonetheless from a role playing perspective. The open nature of BG world was great fun.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Inconsistencies probably have more to do with the fact that the developers has no idea there would be a bg2 or that bg1 would be such a hit. ;)
    Well, it is, and now i hope they fix this, it's not a original content but an original mistake, if they can't fix things like this there's no point in a BG:EE.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @Space_hamster try robbing every building in BG the city, oi that takes a while, but it's very rewarding what you will find :D
  • SaberstormSaberstorm Member Posts: 60

Another good time was. My first play through, playing a third, I broke into ever house in berg host, robbing the peasants of their worthless gems and few coins. Not profitable, but fun nonetheless from a role playing perspective. The open nature of BG world was great fun.
    hey that reminds me they should really make it intresting to "rummage through the houses" Not just a few coins..

• WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    I remember the first time I was "poisoned" by Marek, the assassin, inside Baldur's Gate. The journal says something like you only have 10 days to find a cure, man did I panic to finish that quest :P Has anyone actually tested how long you have to wait until you die? Or is the poison completely harmless and just a plot thing? It would be fun if there was an actual danger of dying from that quest...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    The first, and only time I beat TOB (odly I've beaten Soa probably five times). I had Imoen, Jaheira, Keldorn, aerie, anomen in my party. Reading Imoen and Keldorn's epilogues was really wicked. Especially when have done a full playthrough from BG1 through to the end of TOB with your character, Imoen, and Jaheira. They bring a sense of closure with the game that I really liked.
    I remember the first time I was "poisoned" by Marek, the assassin, inside Baldur's Gate. The journal says something like you only have 10 days to find a cure, man did I panic to finish that quest :P Has anyone actually tested how long you have to wait until you die? Or is the poison completely harmless and just a plot thing? It would be fun if there was an actual danger of dying from that quest...
    There is a danger of dying from the quest, although I'm not sure if the time frame provided is exact. I suspect it is though, because I feel like I've tested it myself many years ago.
    @Space_hamster try robbing every building in BG the city, oi that takes a while, but it's very rewarding what you will find :D
    That is actually one of the things I prefer about BG over BG2, the fact that there are so many random buildings you can rob. I mean yes, they are all a generic design floor wise, but I don't mind. It's also great if you are unfamiliar with the city and want to find hard to find side quests.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited July 2012
    well it ruined my first play... I was skipping Text at some point, didnt know I was poisoned and didnt Understand why I was dying... and than I checked my journal! It was too late though.. because I already overwrite my old save games and hadnt enough time to complete the quest :p

Since than Im in trauma, Whenever I play BG, first thing I complete this quest, and going to explore the rest of the city...

That is actually one of the things I prefer about BG over BG2, the fact that there are so many random buildings you can rob. I mean yes, they are all a generic design floor wise, but I don't mind. It's also great if you are unfamiliar with the city and want to find hard to find side quests.
    This is one of things that made Baldur's Gate ONE a CLASSIC!

• FlauschigFlauschig Member Posts: 84
    well it ruined my first play... I was skipping Text at some point, didnt know I was poisoned and didnt Understand why I was dying... and than I checked my journal! It was too late though.. because I already overwrite my old save games and hadnt enough time to complete the quest :p

Since than Im in trauma, Whenever I play BG, first thing I complete this quest, and going to explore the rest of the city...
    Whenever i play BG, i do this quest the last and most times don't finish it. Trauma of the very first dead was to great (reason back on firth playthrough: bad quest description)

Hah wow, so how does it happen? Will the death screen simply play whenever you reach the time limit, or do you have to rest to trigger it? (like the "symptoms" that show up after each rest)
    If I remember currectly it was between moving from area to area..
    @mch202 that would indeed make it impossible once the time limit has been passed... perhaps the quest should be fixed to just give severe attribute drain, like loosing 1 point of con/str/dex every 8 hours until you reach a minimum of 3, but you never actually die from the poison.
    actually, i have had it happen before where that posion kills you off, i completely forgot about it, and i was spider grinding flesh gol-LAMs and what happens is that you just get posioned and you take 2 damage a second until you die and then whamo game over, ( that is of coarse everyone who didnt drink that special antidote takes that sweetski damage) i was lucky though because i had the potion on me and it was happening to my cleric and my mage, and i do believe it is pretty accurate of 10 days, and plus there is absolutely no fear of this quest, it will ONLY activate once you meet up with marek and lothander for the first time where marek warns you to leave the iron throne alone, so if you dont talk to him ever, you will never have to fear about being posioned, plus what i like to do, is pick pocket marek when i see him the first time because then you can get the special antidote and the eagle bow right away, and then when you go see him at the blushing mermaid you can get another copy of the antidote and another eagle bow :) - i love exploits, and bg the city has a few rewarding ones :) -
    @sarevok57 hehe you meta-gaming master you ;)

"oh, my life is in shambles"
    @Winthal well i used to eat breathe sleep this game, but no adays i dont have the time i use to have to play it as often, but i still manage to squeeze it in there :)
  • DMZDMZ Member Posts: 39
    My first time killing that Belt Ogre on Crossroads/Lion's Way. Level 1 fighter with a sword ( I hadn't discovered bows yet).

Attempt 1: Literally the first swing the ogre made *SMACK* Dead.
    Attempt 2: *Smack* 1 HP *Smack* Dead
    Attempt 3: *Smack* 4 HP, backed up and ran away, stumbled upon two gibberlings that weren't there a minute ago (the bushes NW of the ogre). Didn't take em long.
    Attempt 4: Hit him once, ran away, ran back, hit him once, ran away. Rinse and repeat. Did find out that ogres have a pretty long range with that morningstar... died the third time I approached him.
    Attempt 5: He made just one swing...rolled a critical of 26 or so damage. Blood and guts everywhere.
    Attempt 6: With a party of four try and stab 'm to death (Xzar, Monty, Imoen and me). Xzar didn't last a second, Monty died soon after, Imoen was firing a bow at point blank, got chunked quite fast, the ogre AGAIN rolled a critical on me... It was a mass of bloody parts all over the place...he managed to smack the entire party into pieces.
    Attempt 7: Discovered bows. Thought it logical to have ogre chase one person while the rest shoots. Why did I choose Xzar as bait? I don't know.
    Attempt 8: Managed to employ above strategy successful with myself as bait.

Literally jumped from my seat when I saw him fall. This is a 9-ish old boy with no knowledge of English whatsoever and having touched the game for the first time (rolling a natural 18/00 the first time and 17 in DEX)
    i remember the first time i rolled a 18/00 i felt so god mode especially with the fact that i loved using two handed swords dishin out 20+ damage a hit, ah that was goooooooood times :)
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I remember the first time I was turned into a drow, then I could be like "Well Viconia I'm the same race as you now, does that make me attractive?"
    @Ward funny thing about Viccy she doesn't like elves
    The first time I played I didn't know anything about D&D, I went through the game with a thief with very low dex (was 13 at base) before I found out all about what the stats meant. Of course, later in the game with all the equipment and stat scrolls, even a weak character can become a demi-god. ;)
    haahhahahahahahahhahahahhahahaa @Space_hamster that picture is absolutely AMAZING, i love your portrait pic
  • Bastion72Bastion72 Member Posts: 60
    The things i'll mostly remember from Baldur's gate saga are: The story,Jon Irenicus,Viconia,Minsc. Why? Coz BG has the most interesting story i have ever seen in a videogame,Jon Irenicus is the best villain that can exist,Viconia is the best romanceble character and Minsc is the best supporting character in history (Go for the eyes Boo,go for the eyes,yarghh!!!).
  • DomnDomn Member Posts: 11
    Kangaxx!! You owe me a debt of pain!
  • ersindmrersindmr Member Posts: 7
    I wasn't teenage when i first paly BG :) Once i played for 17 hours without any break (not even bathroom) :)
    Mt other strange :) memory about BG is i was playing BG for 1,5 days without sleeping or any break only bathroom and at the same time our house was under heavy construction and i was under a blanket with my PC. nihoho

It goes like this :)
    haahhahahahahahahhahahahhahahaa @Space_hamster that picture is absolutely AMAZING, i love your portrait pic
    yes thank-you. Clearly I have too much free time at the moment. :)

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited July 2012

@Winthal @sarevok57 Yes you can die from Marek's poisoning. It can be pretty inconvenient if you are say in Durlag's tower and all of a sudden you start showing symptoms then dieing from something you had no idea what was happening. Now whenever I go to the map with Marek I just unload everything I can on him before he can talk to me and don't get poisoned that way. Hey his touch attack - OF DEATH is pretty cheap. I can meet him on that level.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I recall the feeling of satisfaction when, during the first run through the game, I finally made it into the city of Baldur's Gate. For weeks I had been playing the side quests, exploring the countryside (ignoring the urgency to follow the plot) and trying to find some sort of back door way in to the city. I had tried using Charm scrolls on the Gate guard, etc., to no avail. But there was this map of the huge city in the box set. So I knew there was a ton of content awaiting me there.

In a nifty sort of way, the game gives you the experience of the rube out in the hinterlands who has only heard tales of the city; and then you finally enter the bustling metropolis for the first time, etc. Not that the city itself completely blew me away (well designed though it is). But that the game set this up as a significant milestone was very well executed. It was even more confirmation that I was playing a really well designed game.
  • WeecraigWeecraig Member Posts: 4
    I look at these youngsters today with their Skyrims and Dragon Ages and think back to when I was a lad and had Baldur's Gate on a PC you had to put coal in and I don't recall anyone complaining.

Now when they get to play it on their I-Pad gadget they will see what a real game is.