Skip to content

LOL this game...

2»

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2012
    CaptRory said:

Someone said that Protection from Evil is supposed to keep you from being charmed. And you can pick up potions to guard against mind effects.

PfE only works in BG1 vanilla in terms of its ability to prevent you from being charmed until the spell wears off. In tutu/BGT that won't work from my understanding.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    AHF said:

Skeletons are immune to all charm spells so @elminster is giving good advise. Web + missile attacks also work well.

Thanks for the tips guys, will try these things out. Having mostly elves (including Viconia, who has a high magic resistance on top of the normal elf 90% charm resistance) and shorties in my party this time will probably help too...
    CaptRory said:

Someone said that Protection from Evil is supposed to keep you from being charmed.

Really? Would need to test that, BTW does protection from evil cast by an evil Cleric still work the same way as normal?

CaptRory said:

Someone said that Protection from Evil is supposed to keep you from being charmed.

Really? Would need to test that, BTW does protection from evil cast by an evil Cleric still work the same way as normal?

It should yes. I mean its rather odd to be protecting yourself from evil, given you are evil lol, but it should work.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    I wouldn't expect the protection from evil idea to work in BG:EE. Obviously, it doesn't work in BGT or Tutu.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    My CHARNAME needs to cast PROTECTION FROM THE PLAYER, 10' radius. Then he/she will survive. Simple.

Probably OP spell though. :D
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    elminster said:

CaptRory said:

Someone said that Protection from Evil is supposed to keep you from being charmed. And you can pick up potions to guard against mind effects.

PfE only works in BG1 vanilla in terms of its ability to prevent you from being charmed until the spell wears off. In tutu/BGT that won't work from my understanding.
    Yet another thing TuTu breaks, hooray!!
    edited November 2012
    BGT is marginally better, but still "breaks" many things
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited November 2012
    Something near Spellhold is intelligent to the point where it only killed my good characters and completely ignored the weak ones. I still don't know what caused it yet, but I was in the outside area of the asylum and left my three weak NPCs on that bridge in the beginning of the level, with Sendai out in front to protect them, and then sent Evice and Viconia ahead to clear the way.

First, some background. Evice (my PC) and Viconia are in their 5th playthrough and Sendai is in her 3rd (I used the ctrl q cheat on her 3 playthroughs ago). Aerie, Jaheira, and Korgan are in their 1st and do not even carry weapons. Aerie wears armor, so she cannot use her spells. The only reasons for having them in my party is for their banter,to provide me with extra inventory space, and because I think it is fun to roleplay having the weaker characters be a caravan that Sendai must protect. I typically send Evice and Viconia out front to fight the actual battles, while Sendai hangs back and protects the weaklings in case anything makes it past Evice and Viconia.

Anyway, Sendai was standing in the middle of that bridge near the beginning of the level, with her charges cowering behind her. Evice and Viconia cleared the path and made it to the doors of the asylum. I then noticed that Sendai's picture had disappeared and I only had 5 characters in my party. I clicked back to the bridge and discovered that somehow Sendai had been petrified, but the other three characters were unharmed.

I didn't see any enemies around and did not understand how this could have happened. Evice has the Stone to Flesh spell in his spellbook, so I went back with the intent of memorizing it and resting so I could unpetrify Sendai. As soon as I reached the bridge, two more petrify spells came out of the map's edge and struck both Evice and Viconia, turning them both to stone and thereby causing me to lose the game. Aeirie, Jaheira, and Korgan, who had been standing on the bridge the whole time, were not harmed. It's like the game somehow knew which characters were the threats, since those three couldn't possibly unpetrify my other characters nor could they adequately protect themselves from anything.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @ARKdeEREH Either your computer is possessed or it's now part of Skynet :)
    ARKdeEREH said:

Something near Spellhold is intelligent to the point where it only killed my good characters and completely ignored the weak ones. I still don't know what caused it yet, but I was in the outside area of the asylum and left my three weak NPCs on that bridge in the beginning of the level, with Sendai out in front to protect them, and then sent Evice and Viconia ahead to clear the way.

First, some background. Evice (my PC) and Viconia are in their 5th playthrough and Sendai is in her 3rd (I used the ctrl q cheat on her 3 playthroughs ago). Aerie, Jaheira, and Korgan are in their 1st and do not even carry weapons. Aerie wears armor, so she cannot use her spells. The only two reasons for having them in my party is for their banter and to provide me with extra inventory space. I typically send Evice and Viconia out front to fight the actual battles, while Sendai hangs back and protects the weaklings in case anything makes it past Evice and Viconia.

Anyway, Sendai was standing in the middle of that bridge near the beginning of the level, with her charges cowering behind her. Evice and Viconia cleared the path and made it to the doors of the asylum. I then noticed that Sendai's picture had disappeared and I only had 5 characters in my party. I clicked back to the bridge and discovered that somehow Sendai had been petrified, but the other three characters were unharmed.

I didn't see any enemies around and did not understand how this could have happened. Evice has the Stone to Flesh spell in his spellbook, so I went back with the intent of memorizing it and resting so I could unpetrify Sendai. As soon as I reached the bridge, two more petrify spells came out of the map's edge and struck both Evice and Viconia, turning them both to stone and thereby causing me to lose the game. Aeirie, Jaheira, and Korgan, who had been standing on the bridge the whole time, were not harmed. It's like the game somehow knew which characters were the threats, since those three couldn't possibly unpetrify my other characters nor could they adequately protect themselves from anything.

If you don't have the wardstone the areas protections woop your butt.
    elminster said:

ARKdeEREH said:

First, some background. Evice (my PC) and Viconia are in their 5th playthrough and Sendai is in her 3rd (I used the ctrl q cheat on her 3 playthroughs ago). Aerie, Jaheira, and Korgan are in their 1st and do not even carry weapons. Aerie wears armor, so she cannot use her spells. The only two reasons for having them in my party is for their banter and to provide me with extra inventory space. I typically send Evice and Viconia out front to fight the actual battles, while Sendai hangs back and protects the weaklings in case anything makes it past Evice and Viconia.

If you don't have the wardstone the areas protections woop your butt.
    I did have the wardstone. At least Evice had it in his inventory.
    Were you using any mods that might have interfered? I've never had an issue with this.
    This is the first time anything like this has happened to me too. The only mods I have are Shadows over Soubar and SCS.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Quartz said:

elminster said:

CaptRory said:

Yet another thing TuTu breaks, hooray!!
    Failing to convert charmed dialogue is breaking something.

Failing to have protection from evil protect against charm spells is fixing a bug. PFE was never intended to protect against charms or any other mind affecting spells.

This is an example of an improvement, not a problem.