Skip to content

[Resolved] SoD Steam install only plays BGEE (not SoD)

EllentarEllentar Member Posts: 7
edited May 2016 in Troubleshooting
Ok, this is very weird and I've already spent hours trying to figure it out:

I have a PC running Win7 and a laptop running Win10
Steam BG-EE running fine on both.
I install SoD and both installations (Desktop and Laptop) play fine, with the new models/map/char screens etc.
However,only the desktop actually plays SoD. On the laptop, when I launch the game it gets me to the old opening menu, which has no option to play SoD. So I can start a BG game fine (Candlekeep level 1), but I can't start a new SoD game (I haven't tried killing Sarevok to see if it will take me to SoD automatically).

I have tried uninstalling and cleaning registry with CCleaner a couple times, then when I re-install it gets me to the old opening menu again. Also, the installation folder seems to be exactly the same size on both computers.

I have tried copying the .ini and .lua from desktop to laptop, still does the same.

An interesting detail, is that the game files under 'My Documents' are under different folders. The desktop ones are under "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" while the laptop ones are under "Infinity Engine - Enhanced Edition".

Anyone got any clue what's happening there? Thing's driving me mad!

Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    All your documents should be under "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition". "Infinity Engine - Enhanced Edition" should only contain crash reports.

On your laptop for BGEE do you have the DLC ticked, as below?
  • EllentarEllentar Member Posts: 7
    Yes, it's ticked. I have tried unticking it and ticking it again, then it starts download some 1.5 GB of date (1 file) and when it's done nothing's changed.

The "Infinity Engine" folder, I have tried renaming it and then start a fresh game. When I save, the game recreats the folder "Infinity Engine - Enhanced Edition" and puts the save folder in there...

Really thanks for looking into it!
    Does your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\engine.lua file have
    engine_name = "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition"
    engine_mode = 0 -- 0 = BGEE, 1 = BG2EE, 2 = IWDEE

Yup.

Could it be some registry thing?
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Do you see the following screen when you start the game? If so, click on the button in the red box below:

Hey, this is exactly the starting screen on my DESKTOP where I can play SoD nicely. On my LAPTOP (where I have the problem) I see instead the following loading screen. Both screens show the save version number (v.2.2.66.0). I think there must be some registry issue with some old installation - anyone know if that is possible?

Again thanks to everyone who is providing feedback!

Right-click the game, choose Properties, Local Files, Browse local files

Is there a dlc folder with sod-dlc.zip in it?
    Yup. In fact the two installation folders (Desktop and Laptop) seem to be exactly identical...
    Could you provide a couple of screenshots showing the game folder, and the dlc folder as attached
    Thanks

Here goes.
    I've also copied these 5 files from desktop to laptop, still no fix. It's got to be registry related.. Files seem to be identical but the save folder being different (see post above) probably point to a registry thing?

bg3.jpg 31.8K
    bg2.jpg 122.2K
    I'm afraid it isn't registry related because we don't use the registry at all.

Could you provide the complete path to the game directory for both your laptop and desktop installs?
    Have you tried running the baldur.exe file from that location?
    Yes, I had tried running the .exe directly.
    But I went to look up the complete installation paths and here's what I found:
    DESKTOP: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
    LAPTOP: C:\Users\hp\Desktop\Χάρης\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

So I moved the laptop BG folder to a similar folder as the desktop one and wow, now it works! So the problem was that it wasn't a standard steam folder or/and that the path contained non-standard characters. I guess the main game had no problem with it, but SoD had trouble locating its own files.

So, SOLVED! Many thanks guys for your help, thing was driving me nuts :):):) You're the best
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited May 2016
    Ellentar said:

LAPTOP: C:\Users\hp\Desktop\Χάρης\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

So the problem was that it wasn't a standard steam folder or/and that the path contained non-standard characters.

That's likely the problem. Unicode paths are not interpreted correctly.
    Post edited by Cerevant on
  • FreakydooFreakydoo Member Posts: 37
    So... is the a way to resolve the if you have no choice but to use a different file path do to space.