Skip to content

Things you do to roleplay when playing BG

creator1629creator1629 Member Posts: 66
I was wondering what other people do to roleplay when playing BG. These may not be things that you do during your first run through of the game, and they don't make the game easier or more efficient, you just do them to instill a sense of realism to your gaming experience to engross yourself in the world more. these are some of the things that i have done:

* I try to keep to a regular day/night cycle in the game, sleeping at night even if my spells are fully stocked and none of my party members has fatigue. although an all nighter at times is necessary as it is in real life

* I give money to churches of impoverished towns even if my reputation is full, to help the town prosper, if i can afford it

* If a party member is seriously injured during a fight, even after healing him i will leave him out of fights for several in game days so as to let him "heal"

* If my whole party is seriously injured in a fight, i will spend an in game week resting at an inn to recover before heading out again

* I will let my whole party enjoy a night of drinking at an inn after a quest/adventure. i will buy more expensive booze if it was a big adventure. of course I don't let aerie drink if she's pregnant, i don't know if bhaalspawn/elvish blood is immune to fetal alcohol syndrome or not, but why take the chance right?

* I will let my archers carry a realistic number of arrows during a quest, not fill up their inventory with hundreds and hundreds of arrows

* If during a battle an area effect spell happens to kill someones livestock by accident, i will leave one or more valuable jewels at the farmers feet to repay the damage i have done

* If a quest involves rescuing a family member or a friend and that person happens to be dead already, i will leave jewels/valuable items at the quest givers feet to pay for the funeral or to help with the household if that person happened to be a provider

* I try to maintain my alignment as it is in real life, which i would have to say is lawful neutral, not exactly good but not evil either

* When at an inn or walking in town where i feel relatively safe, i disarm my men and take off all heavy armor to let them relax and rest a little (not always recommended)

* When resting at an outdoor location, i try to move my men to a spot i would actually camp at, not just hit rest in the middle of a road

* I try to close doors behind me as i enter or exit a room, common courtesy really, even if you are robbing the place

* Legitimately fall in love with in game character, divorce real wife, marry giant cardboard cutout of said character... whats that?... oh yeah... umm... me neither hehehe... (*nervous twitch*)

So what do you guys do in your games?
MoomintrollPermidion_StarkLunastorm125BrudeDeltaslayerBaldursCatBelgarathMTHGemHoundGygaxianProseAlejandroSyntia13Oxford_GuyLadyEibhilinRhettKristie83EnialusMeliamneDeathMachineMiyagicolonel_burgerLemernisDiscoCatsmallerTeflon

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    For BG1, when I played through as a ranger and druid, I avoided settlements (except for ones that involved plot), going around towns instead of through them.

When I played chaotic characters I picked fights. Lawful ones I never stole or opened chests that did not belong to me, even in dungeons.

When I played characters with low int, I'd equip items before identifying.
    BrudeSyntia13creator1629Moomintroll
  • NightfallRobNightfallRob Member Posts: 43
    Make alignment appropriate decisions, that's honestly about it. I get together every Saturday with a group of friends to play RPGs, I just don't feel motivated to RP on a computer.
    rexregButtercheeseTeflon
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    @creator1629 @deltago - Wow, those are some seriously great ideas.

I usually try to play close to my PC's alignment. (Which is why I can't play lawful good or paladins; it makes no sense that Captain Boy Scout would hang out with Imoen, and turn a blind eye while she steals from people in inns).

Sometimes my thieves will sneak into people's rooms and move their posessions around. So the guy who locked away his dagger for the night wakes up to find his neighbor's leather armor in the drawer. My PC thief finds that kind of troublemaking funny.

During a recent Beregost encounter with Silke, my neutral evil thief turned on everybody, doing Silke's bidding at first and then killing her in turn. Kivan complained, so I had him walk over and lay a shield over the bodies of the innocent men, out of respect.
    creator1629
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    When I get a bit bored or tired of 'just playing', I'd sometimes make a custom game, create all 6 characters with different backgrounds and make them respect their alignments, classes, goals, etc.
    And I would create interactions in my head. So if someone lawful caught a thief stealing, or someone good caught the other wanting to or succeed in killing an innocent, I'd make them confront each other, and if pushed too far, fight each other! And sometimes I'd add other NPCs as well, and if they disagreed with someone, I wouldn't hold back.

It was a great way for me to get some inspiration as I like to write in my free time. :)
    Brudecreator1629HaHaCharade
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201
    Hmmm. I do a lot of that sort of thing. Select a campsite, have the party get drunk on occasion. I didn't have them rest a week after a bad battle, though I might adopt something like that. A few days at least.
  • creator1629creator1629 Member Posts: 66
    i actually got a few of those from one of my friends who was also playing the game. we were sort of having a contest to see who could come up with the most things to simulate realism in the game. some of the more extreme ones were only being allowed to sleep at night or eat lunch/dinner if your latest save file is at an inn.

of course i did draw the line when i was walking one of the streets of baldur's gate and i had to get up for a bathroom break when my friend saw me and said "whats the matter with you, would you really do that in the streets of a large city? either find an inn or go to the woods!"
    Syntia13
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    I must have Character Biographies for either my main in BG, or all my characters in IWD. I tend to give people items for carrying that their class would better handle (books, keys, etc to Mages or Thieves, Weapons to Warriors). I also won't have evils and goods in the same party. Just doesn't make sense. I tend to play evil more than good in Baldur's Gate, as it makes more sense in my head why I'd kill Drizzt or rob someone's home.
    creator1629Moomintroll
    I also tried the character biographies thing. I used the multiplayer save method to be able to customize all 6 of my party members in single player. i copied the main characters from the ones my friends played in their games and asked them to give me a biography of that character. so i had my main character, 4 different ones i "borrowed" from my friends, then i made a final one to round off the six. and basically i was running with the story that due to some unique circumstances, six bhaalspawn happened to find each other and are now in a party as one venturing forth into the unknown
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

I was wondering what other people do to roleplay when playing BG. These may not be things that you do during your first run through of the game, and they don't make the game easier or more efficient, you just do them to instill a sense of realism to your gaming experience to engross yourself in the world more. these are some of the things that i have done:

* I will let my whole party enjoy a night of drinking at an inn after a quest/adventure. i will buy more expensive booze if it was a big adventure. of course I don't let aerie drink if she's pregnant, i don't know if bhaalspawn/elvish blood is immune to fetal alcohol syndrome or not, but why take the chance right?

I've only just read this, but love the idea of your party having a booze-up after a major quest, LOL!
    creator1629
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Subject: Things you do to roleplay when playing BG
    Response: Pretty much nothing.
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    I have a running theme in RPGs that allow me to be a thief...

My thieves usually steal everything not nailed down, and I do one of three things:
    - sell it all
    - shove all unsellable junk into one container, usually a strange choice (baskets, flower pots, shoes, forks into the oven)
    - hide everything in someone else's house (or pocket), thus incriminating him MWAHAHAHAHA

If I play an assassin, I like to leave a "calling card" at the scene of my work, such as a dagger. Though one time, I had an assassin with a very peculiar "signature": she would kill her mark, then eat EVERYTHING in his house, leaving the fomicile bereft of edibles... Not even a crumb for the mice!
    creator1629SCARY_WIZARD
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    Meh... I misunderstood the title and thought this thread meant any rpg, oh well :P
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Well its not BG, but recently I'm playing DAO completely out of character.

First I romanced Morrigan as usual, and then thought 'I've never actually romanced Leliana yet', so got it on with her. Then came the storm of jealousy and Leliana made me break up with Morrigan, with who I then lost 30 odd reputation points.

But now I can't stand Leliana and would rather go back to bonking Morrigan!

Wait what was I saying? Oh right, I'm glad that playing BG in character has a lot more depth to it than which NPCs I end up bonking in my tent.
  • SolobearSolobear Member Posts: 55
    Quartz said:

You spend way too much time on these forums.
    LadyEibhilinRhettOxford_GuyQuartzPaladin
    Solobear said:

Quartz said:

Ha ha! :-)

Me too recently...

-My headcanon is that Xan is afraid of kobolds after everything that happened to him in the Nashkel Mines. Because of this I have him run around in a panic every time we fight kobolds.

I like this! :-)

-
    -Same for my most-played CHARNAME and her phobia of the undead.

I think I unconsciously panic a bit around spiders, I'm not particularly keen on them in real life, and you can't use the "pint glass and postcard" trick to remove the ones in BG... In one of my early run throughs of BG most of my party got poisoned in that spider house in Beregost, which probably didn't help...
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    I usualy just let everyone on my team drink at taverns and go sleep drunk.

DRINKS FOR EVERYONE!
    creator1629BelgarathMTHTeflon
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    As a fighter, I complete Nalia's quest with her in my party, and leave her in the keep, as if she were administrating it .

In BG1, If I drop Viconia, I'll leave her at that abandoned temple , next to bandit camp. I believe she'll convert the undead near there and make it a temple of Shar .
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Solobear said:

Quartz said:

Haha!
    Hey Solobear ... lurk moar
    That's a joke, I'm pretty sure you lurk these forums more than anybody else. Signing up so early and only having ~40 posts, all sporadically different dates and threads. Whoosh!
  • NadroirNadroir Member Posts: 50
    That's rather amazing that you do all of that. I don't usually do very many roleplay things.
    Quartzcreator1629
  • GlorfindelGlorfindel Member Posts: 65

* I try to keep to a regular day/night cycle in the game, sleeping at night even if my spells are fully stocked and none of my party members has fatigue. although an all nighter at times is necessary as it is in real life

* I give money to churches of impoverished towns even if my reputation is full, to help the town prosper, if i can afford it

* I will let my archers carry a realistic number of arrows during a quest, not fill up their inventory with hundreds and hundreds of arrows

* I try to maintain my alignment as it is in real life, which i would have to say is lawful neutral, not exactly good but not evil either

* When resting at an outdoor location, i try to move my men to a spot i would actually camp at, not just hit rest in the middle of a road

So what do you guys do in your games?

I really like all of these. My mage always carries a staff, because... well, my vision of mages has always been that they carry staffs. I'm not going to have my mage throwing little rocks from a sling or 100 daggers.

I also like the idea of not resting while in a dungeon. Not resting in the middle of the day or in a dungeon just to re-memorize spells.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I am polite to Aerie.
    LadyEibhilinRhettPantalionTeflon

I am polite to Aerie.

Oh man, that's a tough one
    MoomintrollLadyEibhilinRhett
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    Quartz said:

Same here.

@MedullaOblongata I like the idea of leaving a calling card after a big robbery or a significant murder. Now I just have to figure out what to leave. if I use something common like a regular dagger it wont be significant or unique enough, but if I use something too unique or rare I wont have enough calling cards to go around hahaha
    MedullaOblongataallhailsteve