Skip to content

Lag bug in multiplayer after 2.2

JakelJakel Member Posts: 8
Me and my friend have been playing all the way through BG:EE and are now in the middel of SoD and we love what you have done!

So fare we have been using Hamachi to connect, with no problems.

After the patch the joining player experience an enormous lag every few seconds, but only when the game is unpaused. The ping time between us is fine, and there is no spikes in the ping.

If we start a new game there is no problem, and the problem is there no matter who is the host in the old savegame.

We have never used any mods and we are both using Windows 10 and the game is version 2.2.66

I have attached the newest savegame, but the problem is there with all our savegames made before the patch.

Please help us, we dont want to start a new game :smile:
Gate70

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    edited May 2016
    Hi @Jakel
    Could you try assigning all NPC's (Korgan, Hexxat, Dorn, Valygar?) to the host please and reporting whether that makes a difference. Edit: Then try with Hexxat / Dorn controlled by the host and Korgan / Valygar controlled by the client. Then add either Hexxat or Dorn to the client

I'm not suggesting this as a permanent solution, but to understand what the cause might be.
    Thanks
    & on a more general basis, have you tried version 2.2.66.0 without Hamachi?
  • JakelJakel Member Posts: 8
    Yes we also tried without Hamachi and the same problem was there.

I will try sharing the control of the characters as you suggest asap!

Thank you for the quick reply!
  • CapnSniffiesCapnSniffies Member Posts: 25
    edited May 2016
    Wanted to pipe in I'm having the same issue here. Was playing on 1.3 before because 2.0 and 2.1 were constantly crashing in MP.

When the game is paused the issue goes away. Also when the host is controlling all party members it's not an issue. Any advice?

Edit: We're playing BG2:EE by the way. Using Beamdog.net to connect. No mods.

Edit 2: Okay we're playing around with it and it seems that if I'm only controlling Minsc, who is occupying slot 2 and/or Jahiera in slot 3 everything is fine if fine. However, if I control any other character, regardless of how many, in slots 4 thru 6 the issue returns.
    Gate70
    Who do you have in slots 4-6 @CapnSniffies
    Thanks
    edited May 2016
    Yoshi, Aerie, and Nalia. Is there any way to change them around in multiplayer?

Edit: I suppose by kicking them out and having them rejoin. Still though I can only control two characters at a time since the host occupies slot 1.

Thanks for replying so fast, the support is appreciated!
    edited May 2016
    Somewhat unrelated, but we're also having some inventory issues I just noticed in MP. The character in the 6th slot (Nalia) doesn't display that character's inventory usually, it's actually another character's inventory like Minsc's or Aerie's instead. I also cannot manipulate any character's inventory I control despite having the permission to do so.

Edit: Might've spoken too soon on the 6th slot issue it seems to have vanished for now.
    Could you try dropping all containers temporarily (scroll, potion, gem, bags, ammo belt)
    Thanks
    @Gate70 Dropped all the containers and took control of the original characters and everything is fine. As we begin picking up containers the lag gets worse and worse.
    Gate70
    edited May 2016
    @Gate70 Okay, so we tried a lot of different things...

The problem is definitely about which slots/characters the client controls. It seems like the problem appears when the client get control of specific characters in specific slots.

For example when we had the clients own character in slot 2 it didn't work. When we moved him to slot 3 it worked...

We can get it to work with 3 characters controlled by the client, but we can't figure out any system to this, it seems totally random to us.

We just tried a lot of different configuration until it worked.

If you can explain why it is working we are very curious?

Thank you for your help!
    edited May 2016
    Ha, just found out it is not about the characters or slots, it is the containers that does it.

The client cant have any kind of containers on their characters!

Edit: Hmm, the client can apparently have the gem back, maybe it is number of items in the containers that does it?
    Gate70CrevsDaak
    Thank you both for confirming what helps, I'll make sure that is included on the bug report.
    JuliusBorisov
  • kadorsulnkadorsuln Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone,

My buddy and I have been having the same issue in multiplayer. Whoever is the client gets lag spikes/stuttering at regular intervals of about a half a second or so and we tried dropping all the containers and this made no difference. Having the client take control of certain characters did work though - for us the client using slots 2, 3 & 6 were fine, but seeing as these characters weren't the original ones controlled by the client we tried changing the slot order by kicking out and having those NPCs re-join. Then all of sudden controlling slot 3 made it laggy and the client had to change control to slot 4 (along with slot 2 & 6) for it to work again. We're both running patch 2.3.
    @Gate70 Any updates on this issue? We're still trying to play the game but the issue persists, even after two updates. Will this be fixed in the next one? Any ETA on that?
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    This is the bug list for the next update. Not much on multiplayer (some interesting on pathfinding though) although I remember seeing more multiplayer-related bugs in the list but apparently they have been removed from the update.
  • vreishvreish Member Posts: 28
    edited July 2016
    Same bug in my co-op game, it renders the game basically unplayable. Would very much appreciate an update with a fix.
    Kalua
  • CyricistCyricist Member Posts: 61
    My friends and I are experiencing the same bug. Three of us trying to play a game, at first only one of us was experiencing the stuttering. Then it fixed itself, and when we picked up our 6th party member, it began stuttering for me instead of him.

Would really appreciate an official response on this, seeing as it's still an on-going issue.
    Kalua
  • KaluaKalua Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2016
    Just wanted to add some more data here so this can hopefully be resolved.

Scenarios in a MP LAN Game with two players
    --------------------------------------
    When I refer to slots, I am referring to Party Arbitration order not the post-load UI customizable slot locations.

1) If host controls all characters: No issue.

2) If client controls their custom character (slot 2) and/or Khalid (slot 4) and/or Jaheira (slot 5) and/or Kagain (slot 6): No issue.
    Then if a container is given to the custom character (slot 2): Issue occurs
    Of note: A container can be given to any of the above client controlled non-custom characters without issue.

3) If client controls Rasaad (slot 3): Issue occurs
    Tried removing all items from Rasaad: Issue still occurs
    Then if host drops all containers (gem bag, scroll case) to the ground: No issue.

General notes: Empty containers cause the issue too. Also, if the issue is occurring and you only have one container in possession then you don't have to put it on the ground to stop the issue from occurring, merely clicking it to "pick it up" stops the issue.

Sequence of character additions/subtractions in case it is useful:
    Start of Game: 1) Host custom character, 2) Client custom character
    Outside Candlekeep: 3) Imoen 4) Montaron 5) Xzar
    Friendly Arm Inn: Xzar dies, Montaron and Xzar removed, 4) Khalid and 5) Jaheira added
    Beregost: 6) Kagain
    Nashkel: Imoen removed, 3) Rasaad added
    Final sequence: 1) Host custom 2) Client custom 3) Rasaad 4) Khalid 5) Jahiera 6) Kagain

Hope this helps.
    mf2112CrevsDaak
    @Kalua Thanks for taking the time to investigate some more. I really hope they fix this. It is making it pretty much impossible for my friend and I to play the game on 2.0+ unless we ditch all of the containers (yeah, not ideal). We tried rolling back to 1.3 but we're getting issues due to having started the game and played a while in the newer version. Kind of just waiting around for this to be fixed, but there isn't even any confirmation it is being worked on. We are incredibly frustrated, needless to say.
  • EkajArmstroEkajArmstro Member Posts: 3
    I ran into this issue as well where having containers even on the hosting player caused the joining playing to have lag, but throwing away all containers seemed to have fixed the issue despite being incredibly annoying.
    @EkajArmstro It always seems to fix the issue, but getting rid of our Scroll Cases and Bag of Holding specifically would be incredibly annoying.

Developers, if you can't say if you're working on the issue or not, can someone from the dev team at least give us an unofficial opinion about if we should continue holding out for a fix soon or just try to solder through the issues? We'd very much like to continue playing but don't want to have to battle the many MP issues if a fix is incoming, but if it's a ways off or unlikely, we'd like to know so we can just go ahead and continue now.
  • kadorsulnkadorsuln Member Posts: 3

Developers, if you can't say if you're working on the issue or not, can someone from the dev team at least give us an unofficial opinion about if we should continue holding out for a fix soon or just try to solder through the issues? We'd very much like to continue playing but don't want to have to battle the many MP issues if a fix is incoming, but if it's a ways off or unlikely, we'd like to know so we can just go ahead and continue now.

I second this. We've just been waiting to see if the next patch fixes it but if it isn't going to be addressed, we'll have to continue some other way. Doesn't look like it's on the public bug list, which doesn't fill me with much confidence that it will be.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    You can be sure that the bug has been reported internally. I can't comment on fixes, though.
  • TetrapusTetrapus Member Posts: 17
    Soo still no updates on this?
  • KaluaKalua Member Posts: 5
    More info if it helps...
    Completely changed system architecture on host and client from AMD to Intel and this issue still persists. Graphics adapter and hard drives did not change.
    edited December 2016
    Well I'm assuming this is never going to be fixed, as it has been quite some time since the last patch and Beamdog seems to have moved on. Got 60 hrs into a game before this became unmanagable and looks like we won't be able to finish. Tried rolling back to 1.3 thru the Steam betas but it causes crashing in certain areas, probably because we're playing on a save that was in 2.0+ for awhile.

I'd highly recommend anyone who has just started the game to go back and start again using v1.3. It's still rather buggy in MP, but manageable. No lag bug for clients at any rate. 2.0+ is completely broken in multiplayer.

EDIT: In case anyone is unaware, you can roll back on the Steam version by right-clicking the game, going to Properties, clicking the Betas tab, and selecting "bgiiee_1.3 -". You can do the same for BG1 as well, but not if y ou want to play Siege of Dragonspear. Would NOT recommend loading a save that has been saved in a newer version as it can cause unavoidable hard crashes in some areas.

The GOG Galaxy version supports patch rollback, but unfortunately only goes back a few patches and it seems with the last hotfix it pushed 1.3 out of the list, so I'm not sure if there's any other way to go back to 1.3 unfortunately.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @CapnSniffies Beamdog is currently focusing on another thing, yes, but hasn't "moved on". They will return to patching BG, including multiplayer.
    DracoTitanicus
  • djcdjc Member Posts: 76
    Me and my buddy recently started our first MP with EE(2.3) and we were a bit surprised to find out that the good old inventory-container-stutter-bug(familiar from non-EE games) was still there. However, I do remember that in the original games it used to be the host who got the stuttering effect, no matter who had the Bags of Holding equipped. Now it seems that client gets the stutter. Hopefully we get a fix for this one, there would be lots of joy and happiness.
    DracoTitanicus

@CapnSniffies Beamdog is currently focusing on another thing, yes, but hasn't "moved on". They will return to patching BG, including multiplayer.

I hope so. Don't mean to come across as hostile, but it is very difficult to not be frustrated by these circumstances. I think the EE's, especially 2.0+ feature some wonderful enhancements. Just want to be able to enjoy them with friends!
    JuliusBorisovDracoTitanicus
  • DracoTitanicusDracoTitanicus Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1
    This is a great game. The only problem is the multiplayer lag issue. Is it any chance to fix that?