Skip to content

Concerning sexuality and romances in video games...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
The user and all related content has been deleted.
  1. Concerning sexuality and romances in video games...130 votes
    1. I want only heterosexual romances in my game, please no homosexual romances.
        9.23%
    2. I want only homosexual romances in my game, please no heterosexual romances.
        0.00%
    3. Only bisexual romances please. Set up every romancable NPC as bisexual.
        5.38%
    4. Tie the romancable NPCs sexuality to the main char's gender, i.e. if my main char is male then all male romancable NPCs will turn gay, all female ones hetero. If my main char is female then all male romancable NPCs will turn hetero, all female ones gay.
        2.31%
    5. I want an option at the beginning of the game, where I can turn on/off homo/bi/heterosexuality. I want three seperate checkboxes, one for each sexuality.
        6.15%
    6. I am fine with heterosexual and homo/bisexual romances, but there should be more heterosexual ones because after all there are more heterosexual players than homo/bisexual ones.
      19.23%
    7. There should be the same amount of homo/bi/heteorsexual romancable NPCs ingame.
        8.46%
    8. I want all sexualities to be included, hardcoded. I do not care for specific amounts of romancable NPCs of any sexuality.
      31.54%
    9. I want no romances to be included in the game.
        3.08%
    10. I simply do not care about romances.
      14.62%
Post edited by Tanthalas on

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2012
  • MattysekMattysek Member Posts: 24
    I want all sexualities to be included, hardcoded. I do not care for specific amounts of romancable NPCs of any sexuality. -THIS

Btw, i really love how sexuality and romance is made in witcher 2.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    I think being able to choose the sexual orientation of romances via a toggle button at the beginning of the game would make everyone happy...well, except for the ones who want to control what you choose.
  • WittandWittand Member Posts: 54
    edited October 2012
    Wow. another poll on this issue. Not that it will be any more helpfull then all the other ones.

The issue of romances is a little bit more complicated then the above options suggest.
    It is not an issue of number of characters, but of resources spend. With the amount of work needed for an AAA game today anything other then all bi is simply not feasable. The amount of resources needed for voice/story/animation means that romances must be as economical as possible, offering the most to the biggest portion of the players, even if that means that romanceable characters must be bisexual or have a fluent sexuality.
    Sure a wide variety of options might sound nice but you have to keep in mind that, apart from being horribly expensive, this also increases the number of characters, leading to what I call ME2 syndrome, since all the characters in that game existed in their own little bubbles and only had a minimum interaction with each other/the enviroment outside each´s companions personal mission.
    The same can be seen in BG. The many NPCs of BG1 hardly reacted to their enviroment or with each other, the fewer companions of BG2 offered much more in this regard.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    edited October 2012
    That's a good poll, for once. I think there should be more hetereosexual romances than homosexual ones simply because there are a lot more hetereosexual people than homosexual. Making every NPC implicitely bisexual is silly. That said, I don't care that much for romances, especially BG2-style ones that consist mainly of waiting until your "interest" decides to whine about her personal problems and the only thing you get to do is be nice and endure, and if you're nice enough you'll get to experience that again at some arbitrary point in the future. It's not particularly enthralling.

IMO romances should be but one type of relationship you could have with your companions, and not the most common; RPGs should also provide friendly, adversarial, competitive, mentor-student relationships, and the like.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited October 2012
    Mortianna said:

I think being able to choose the sexual orientation of romances via a toggle button at the beginning of the game would make everyone happy...well, except for the ones who want to control what you choose.

Is it really fun customizing everything the NPC's do? People in real life don't choose their sexuality, and it makes more sense that one npc or another might be gay (just like they did with Shar Teel or Solaufein heheh)

edited October 2012
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I prefer Final Fantasy-style romances, where the subplot is progressed at specific points in the game. So that at no point do you experience a lovetalk that seems out of place (such as Aerie's "aren't the stars beautiful" chat in the middle of combat), and in most cases the romance gets melded pretty seamlessly into the game's story.

That also has the added effect of knowing exactly how many lovetalks need to be created, which prevents situations where you end up not finishing a romance because you played too quickly.

Hrm. Getting more and more ideas, here...
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I dunno. There still wasn't an option that could sum up my feelings so I went for the rebel vote of "I don't care." Which is kind of a lie. But the more people argue about this, the less and less I care, I have to say.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    JRPGs are somehow too linear in characters personalities to allow this, I love final fantasy games but i don't think they romance style would fit well in BG, besides some of what you want already exist (event banters), as Phaere flirt for example.
    edited October 2012
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    kamuizin said:

JRPGs are somehow too linear in characters personalities to allow this, I love final fantasy games but i don't think they romance style would fit well in BG, besides some of what you want already exist (event banters), as Phaere flirt for example.

Well, I don't mean that they should be hardcoded banters. But if you wrote the banters to take place at specific points in the game, you could more accurately plan for the contingencies of what came before--and the writing would be more solid because it would be relevant to the story.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    I want heterosexual romances to be included in the game and I do not care if there are homosexual romances. I mean, I think they should exist for people who want to play them, but since I personally have no interest in homosexual romances their presence or lack thereof won't affect my game at all.
  • FigrutFigrut Member Posts: 109
    I think all romance npc's should have sexuality randomly assigned per game, with a romance option written for "both" options (some bi perhaps) if they are meant to be romanced.
    edited October 2012
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    DJKajuru said:

Mortianna said:

Is it really fun customizing everything the NPC's do? People in real life don't choose their sexuality, and it makes more sense that one npc or another might be gay (just like they did with Shar Teel or Solaufein heheh)

I really don't care all that much about the romances. Sometimes, they were irritating distractions, especially right before a battle or during an intense moment in the game. But, since others really like them, it would seem that some customization of the romances would make it more enjoyable, especially since the game is heteronormative.

I don't think customizing romances entails that everything about the NPCs has become customizable. That's hyperbole. It just gives the player more options.
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    I said I wanted all included, but I was a whisker away from saying I didn't care. I'm not really crazy about romances, but I'd like to see a fair mix of different sexual orientations in NPCs even if there's no PC romance involved.
    Shandyr said:

@ARKdeEREH

If your are interested in only one sexuality for a romancable NPC and you dont care for the others you can choose:

"I want an option at the beginning of the game, where I can turn on/off homo/bi/heterosexuality. I want three seperate checkboxes, one for each sexuality."

That way you have heterosexuality included and can simply ignore the other sexualities if you wish so.

Remember the poll is about with which statement you agree most.
    Your vote on a statement does not mean that you agree with it 100%, but
    that you agree with it more that with any of the other statements.

While I wouldn't want to actually have a homosexual romance, I also wouldn't want to alter the original intent of any of the characters in the game. If a character is written to be straight then s/he should straight; if s/he is written gay than s/he should be gay. I wouldn't want to disable them from expressing themselves in their intended manner, I would just personally choose to only pursue a heterosexual romance.

For example, in the British TV show "Torchwood" protagonist, Jack Harkness, is bisexual. In the original British version of the show (available online) Jack's sexual orientation is very clear due to romantic scenes with both men and women. In the American version of the same show (which aired in the U.S. and is available on Netflix) every romantic scene between Jack and another man was edited out, but some of the more subtle references were left in. This made these remaining references confusing so that some elements of the story didn't make any sense until I'd also seen the British version of the episodes.

The point is that even though I am straight I don't want to disrupt the intended direction of the original story, which will definitly happen if I start messing with major elements of characters' personalities, especially if I don't know which characters were altered. To get back to this poll, I think you may be right about the checklist option, but only if we are talking about new characters that are added to be gay or bisexual, since in the present vanilla game neither exists and alteration would be necessary for any to exist.
    Figrut said:

I think all romance npc's should have sexuality randomly assigned per game, with a romance option written for "both" options (some bi perhaps) if they are meant to be romanced.

Maybe that would work as a selectable option in the beginning of the game, but it could be really annoying for players who start a game with the intent of romancing a particular character.
    edited October 2012
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Shandyr, I clicked "insightful", but this one is another post of yours on which I could click "insightful", "like", and "agree" all three. You sound like a man after my own heart.

You know, your version of the "canon" does resonate with me very well. My only sad regret from being a gay man is that I cannot have biological children, because I think I might have made a very good father. And, both Aerie and Jaheira are female types with whom I could have very deep relationships in real life.

I would agree with you times ten about the emotional resonance potential of story of the Baldur's Gate Trilogy and its characters with many, many diffferent types of people, including us gay men.

Ha, now if only I could "marry" Aerie or Jaheira while having a sexual relationship with Ano. And I wish there were women in real life who might marry gay men for the benefits of that (understanding, smart, funny, compassionate, the perfect companion, absolutely devoted to the right woman) minus any sex, and who didn't care if he had occasional relations with other men, as long as he always came home to her.

You know what would be fun to imagine? Gay me marries Aerie, Ano impregnates her because he likes both me and her, Ano and I are combat buddies and best friends with occasional benefits, and I raise Aerie's and Ano's baby while the two of them go off and fight for the world together. Nobody but the three of us would ever know about the baby's true parentage. LOL, see what I mean about my imagination being my best friend and best story-writer?
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    I voted for "I want no romances to be included in the game."

I'm a bit old for cybersex, be it with an NPC or otherwise. Log on a computer to a game filled with demons and dragons to slay, and I'm supposed to get married and plow into a pile of pixels? Shackles are in real life for the former, and bars are for most of the latter.
    edited October 2012
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    I'm indifferent about which sexualities are included or how many there are... as long as it fits the character and makes sense, it's good to me.

And I'd play them all without a problem.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited October 2012
    @Shandyr, clicked "insightful" again, but would give you all three.

The thing with Ano and me, is that he is *exactly* my type. I mean, irrationally, moth to flame, that boy is going to *destroy* me and I know it, omg, I can't help myself, he's SO handsome and strong and muscular, those eyes, those lips, that beard.... AUGH! ..... ROFL, yeah, so, he's my type, okay, sue me.

I resonate precisely and hopelessly with his backstory, as well. I was raised by a drug-addicted, alcoholic mother with daddy issues and who expected me to be her salvation. That made me a man with permanent self-esteem issues and a flip-sided concurrent superiority-inferiority complex. See a connection? I don't think anybody can understand my beloved Ano as well as I do. Now, if only he would love me, my being a gay man and his being a straight man, and all that. As far as the almost universal dislike of the boy, or even hatred of him, from the community - that just makes me love him all the more fiercely - "You and me against the world, Ano, my love!"

ROFL. See, leave the good stuff to the player's imagination. All game devs have to do is to stop the ridiculous practice of making their game characters' willingness to share their backstories with *only* their sex partners. I think that that is *so* phony. Putting sex into games at all is questionable, in my opinion. If we're going to put sex into games, then we should at least make that just a bonus of some kind, not a prerequisite for enjoying the character. The original BG1 had it right. The original BG2 opened up good possibilities, but started down the path of getting it wrong.

Should we have sex in high fantasy video games? Well, judging by the number of people who like it, I guess the answer is yes, since there have been enough of them who have made sexual romance into a staple, defining feature of Bioware games and their corporate descendants. Should we have at least one gay sex relationship present in Bioware-descended games? Well, yes, if you're going to put sex in video games, it's important to include at least one representative sex scene for all the possible permutations, or else you will be causing emotional pain and exclusion to a significant minority of your potential market of players, as well as an arguable contribution to "evil" and "suffering" in your society.

The solution? In my opinion, the most morally responsible thing to do is to leave sex out of video games. If you're playing a game to play a sexual fantasy, you should be playing some kind of Sims-like adult game. Otherwise, all the content in a high-fantasy or sci-fi computer game should be accessible by all players of either gender relating to all npc's of either gender, and leave sex only peripherally hinted at, if at all. If you *must* include sex scenes in your game (honestly, would DA:O have sold significantly fewer copies if it had contained no sex scenes? Would the BG trilogy have sold fewer copies if it had had no baby with Aerie, and no two paragraph sex scenes, and if all the other Jaheira-Aerie-Ano dialogues had been for friends of either gender?), then, those sex scenes should be accessible by any gender combo, and you must write all dialogues with all possible pronoun gender combos.

I guess that this essay is leading me toward possibly aligning myself with one of the poll responses. If you *must* have sex in your video game, it should be as fairly as possibly accessible to all orientations. That means either a control slider, or an adjust-sexual-dialogues-and-scenes to either gender. So, perhaps the DA2 solution is the best one. But, the writing problems are still there. There have to be dialogue responses that express sexual interest or not. The DA2 "heart" might be a workable solution.

But I'm still not convinced that the best solution is not to leave blatant sexual situations out of computer high fantasy and sci-fi games. Is this whole conundrum really necessary?
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    I am fully in favour of all options being available, but to my mind Dragon Age 2 just got a bit silly; no matter what your gender, all romances were available, as far as I could tell. Real life doesn't work like that, so why should games? As long as there are enough options to cover all preferences (and for all preferences to have options!), I see no reason to do that. DA2, of course, had a fairly small cast of NPCs, which BG does not suffer from.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    DJKajuru said:

Mortianna said:

Shar-Teel isn't gay -- She's a dude
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited October 2012

My only sad regret from being a gay man is that I cannot have biological children, because I think I might have made a very good father.

But you can. You're gay, not infertile - look into surrogacy.

And I wish there were women in real life who might marry gay men for the benefits of that (understanding, smart, funny, compassionate, the perfect companion, absolutely devoted to the right woman) minus any sex, and who didn't care if he had occasional relations with other men, as long as he always came home to her.

Such women exist. They're called closeted lesbians.

Snark aside, few women like the idea of marrying a man who insists on extramarital affairs from the get-go. Especially if the reason is that he's too repulsed by her body to be intimate with her. Honestly, it comes off as wanting a fake marriage to look "normal" to society and feel better about yourself, because I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to marry a man you love instead.
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    I wish I could have checked more then one option...

I have nothing against games with some Bi/Homo romance. I simply choose to ignore them. Since they aren't frequent, I'm fine with it. But too much of this in a game will probably make me feel awkward. Thus, my primary option in this poll is to restrain their number.

My secondary choice would be to make romance optional, and be able to disable them. That's mainly because sometimes they are so incoherent... It feels out of the game. BGII was a game with pretty realistic romance, and hard to get. But to be honest MEII romance were more laughable then anything else.
This discussion has been closed.