Skip to content

Surprisingly good/funny movies.

SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
edited May 2016 in Off-Topic
Hey. This is a place to mention some surprisingly good/funny movies that you normally wouldn't have stumbled upon, expected nothing and were greatly amused.

I'll start with my recent one:
Tucker and Dale against evil - the best and funniest twist of a horror movie (not very horror-y, more a black comedy)

Comments

• onelasttry84onelasttry84 Member Posts: 52
    Wild Tales (2014) - If you like black humor, this one is a must ...
  • sparkleavsparkleav Member Posts: 871
    Just no one mention Birdemic Oops! I just did :D
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    (Movie) This is the end:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1245492/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    Embrace it with an open mind, it's worth it.

(Series) Z Nation:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3843168/?ref_=nv_sr_3
    Love this show. It takes so many punches at the zombie-hype it kept me laughing throughout the whole season. Pretty much binchwatched it all. I hope new episodes come soon.
    DON'T LISTEN TO THE CRITICS, this is NOT a walking dead clone, this is parody and too many of those writing reviews have somehow managed to completely miss that (don't ask me how?).
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    I thought The Grudge was hilarious... but I may be alone in that boat.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Chidojuan said:

Surprisingly, most anything with Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson is incredibly entertaining. Much like Arnold Schwarzenegger movies.

At the very least, "The Game Plan" is a very good, enjoyable movie. He is very analogous to Arnold, at least late 80s-early 90s Arnold. It could be argued that his box office highs aren't as big as Arnold's, but he will never sink to the depths of the worst Arnold movies either.

Another very funny movie that seems terrible on the surface is the first major Andy Samberg big screen try "Hot Rod".
    SethDavis said:

I thought The Grudge was hilarious... but I may be alone in that boat.

"The Grudge" is funny for all the wrong reasons, which I assume was your point. The only one of these great Japanese horror remakes that have worked is first "The Ring", which was pretty effective as far as modern horror movies go. If you want a real gem in that genre, try "May" from 2003.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Chidojuan said:

Surprisingly, most anything with Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson is incredibly entertaining.

cf. The Rundown
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    An film that features a tough guy called "Dwayne" has got to be funny.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    The third Riddick movie, it's not funny but the first 40 mins are golden. Riddick surviving alone on a planet with no companions besides his space dog was a extremely compelling watch for something I was sure would be a standard popcorn action flick.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    "Dungeon and Dragons" (2000). So awful that it is absolutely wonderful. Especially when watching with friends. Same could be said for Troll 2 or any other movie in "So bad it's good" category.

From actually good movies I've watch recently, I recommend "Edge of Tomorrow". Interesting concept.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    I was watching Tinkerbell with my little niece and I surprisingly liked it. It's so different from the standard everything I'm used to watch.
    Fardragon said:

An film that features a tough guy called "Dwayne" has got to be funny.

The only two Dwaynes I can think of are Johnson and Carter. Both got famous using different names, and I would be very reluctant to mess with either one--The Rock because he's huge and Weezy because goes by them goon rules.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    @O_Bruce the Jeremy Irons performance in that D&D was amazing, it was some of his most unashamedly over the top campy work ever. All I remember from that movie is Jeremy Irons being awesome and a really bad CGI Beholder doing nothing.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    @SmilingSword

Jeremy Irons stole the movie, that overacting was just legendary. And yay for the crappy, useless CGI Beholder! :smiley:
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I was pleasantly surprised with The Do-Over; Adam Sender's new movie on Netflix. It is better than most of his recent attempts at comedy.

Its still brain less entertainment, but one with a plot and interesting twists.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Marauders - A fairly new film featuring Bruce Willis and that dude from Entourage. It has a ridiculously low score on IMDB, but don't trust that. Apparently alot of ppl are to stupid to understand the story (which truth be told, is a bit far-stretched and incoherent until the very end) and has given the movie a too low rating because of it. I would rate it a solid 8 out of 10.

(Here's another tip for you though, stay the hell away from "The huntsman; whatever whatever" which was released this year. It's so bad I didn't know if I should cry or laugh. I chose the former.)