Skip to content

Have you beat Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition on Legacy of Bhaal mode yet?

sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
So, yesterday or the day before, i beat bgee on legacy of bhaal difficulty, and i've noticed a couple of things:

1- If you start with a level 1 character, the game is going to get boring fast i find, enemies just have outrageoud amounts of HP, and it halariously slows the game down quite a bit

2- I find that i try my best to avoid as many enemies as possible, in any other difficulty, fireball/wands of fireball are your friends, for all those pesky mobs all over the place, when they start swarming in on ya, just blast one of those off and you're good to go

3- invisibility 10' radius is your best pal in this mode, plus emotion and hold monster as well

Allrighty, so what i did was i imported a team i played from an earlier file ( a team that consisted of 3 half-orc berserkers, a half-orc figther cleric, a half-orc fighter thief, and an elven fighter mage, and this team made it all the way to sarevok) so i brought that team along for the ride, and what i first realized was; this is not going to be a normal run, since i was already at 161 000 xp, there is no reason to kill baddies, so what i did was just go to the areas where the cool items are ( tomes, gauntlets of weapon specialization, large shield +2, ect kinda thing) and race right towards sarevok, and on my way just collecting useful goodies, i realized that in the firewine ruins ( if you come in from the gullykin side) the first opponent you battle against is an ogre mage, and I thought, hmm? I wonder if I reload enough times if he will drop a scroll of invisibility 10' radius, and after about 20 reloads or so, there it was, and I was like hell yeah, and it was wonderful, not only for that killer 24 hour duration time, I skipped all the annoying battles right up until the bosses, I even went through durlags tower so I could get the large shield +2, trying my best to avoid as many baddies as possible ( I didn't fight the last boss in that place because realistically why? ) anyway, I invisibility myself basically through the rest of the game all the way up to sarevok, and it was beautiful, took me a couple of tries, but I eventually took down him and his team ( except for tazok, he's basically there for the lols, and the goal here is to take down sarevok as quickly as possible, but the other 2 mages need to be taken out because they do annoying things as well)

so after all that is said and down, what I realize about this difficulty is that, it makes trivial fights even more trivial, seriously, kobolds with 90+ HP a piece and especially when they come to you in waves is just ugh, and that's just the weak baddies, and the problem with LoB mode for BG is that the XP/baddie scale doesn't match up like it does in IWD, in IWD the XP and level up you gain compensate for the tougher baddies, but in BG it doesn't, so your are always going to be insignificant compared to them, so I think that is kind of a downer,

now with that being said, it is possible to beat the game this way, but to me it kind of feels more like a chore than fun, although if I ever play this difficulty again I will probably always use a previously made team to do it, I very much doubt I will try it from starting at level 1 ( I just find it too tedious that way)

so with that being said, im curious about everyone else's thoughts/ideas of if they have or have not tried and what they think about LoB as well
  1. Have you beat Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition on Legacy of Bhaal mode yet?66 votes
    1. Yes, with no cheating
      10.61%
    2. Yes, with cheating
        0.00%
    3. Yes, Solo with cheating
        4.55%
    4. Yes, Solo no cheating ( quite impressive for sure)
        4.55%
    5. Nope
      31.82%
    6. Nope ( and I never plan to, because it's kinda painful to do so)
      48.48%

Comments

• KampfKaninchenKampfKaninchen Member Posts: 139
    Never been a fan of simply cranking up stats to godlike values.

That just ends up in tedious grinding. It should be called Leatherass mode, whereas LoB should be more like SCS/Tactics top difficulty. You could also add a Legacy of Leatherass Bhaal mode, for those who are in a for a serious grind.
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    I finished three BGEE LoB runs during the v2.0 beta trying to get the Lord of Murder achievement. This was back before they fixed the bug that made it arduous to reload a LoB game...loads of fun.

Never again :-)
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    I played a it for a few hours and got my party to level 5. It's a chore with very little fun involved. It's not even that hard, the AI is still pants on head retarded. The most basic simple strategies will always work, it just takes forever to get anything done.

I don't plan on doing another run of this, maybe one day I will just because I think it would be fun in BG2 if it works with SCS and Ascension.
  • BelfaldurnikBelfaldurnik Member Posts: 212
    It has not been so painful or long to fight. I've posted comments about my playthrough at:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/228280/discussions/3/364040166676601606/
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I stopped playing at chapter 5. Maybe sometime in the future I will do it, but now I'm not feeling up to it.
  • NiwlaNiwla Member Posts: 6
    Solo Shaman run ftw! Summons are op with LoB...
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    insane with no extra dmg is my limit.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919

Phillip Daigle the Jester is still there, he's just been busy with some tavern songs

You mean you don't get any gaming time as a side benefit?
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Nope on a big nope nope baguette served in a restaurant called Nope in Nopingtown...

But I have a cunning plan...
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Meh
  • AltairAltair Member Posts: 128
    I just beat BGEE in LoB mode without cheating - it was hard at the beginning, but a very rewarding experience overall. However I am now starting SoD (still in LoB mode), and I am already stuck in the prologue... so many monsters at once, it is crazy! Is anybody having any luck there, and do you have any advices for me?
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Where's the "I don't give a crap about LOB mode" option, complete with "I see no need to wave my e-peen" suboption?! ;)
  • hockmah2hockmah2 Member Posts: 10
    I did it without cheating with a fighter dualed to cleric. With the fighter you can survive the inicial fights with a lot of potions (except rats) and get more life, better THAC0 and grand mastery, then with the cleric you can use sanctuary to by pass everything and animate dead with all your spells (and a lot of potions xD) for the fights.
    P.D. With Korax you get easy 4 cleric levels once you change to cleric.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    hockmah2 said:

I did it without cheating with a fighter dualed to cleric. With the fighter you can survive the inicial fights with a lot of potions (except rats) and get more life, better THAC0 and grand mastery, then with the cleric you can use sanctuary to by pass everything and animate dead with all your spells (and a lot of potions xD) for the fights.

how do you get grand mastery with a fighter dual over to cleric? do you do level 6 fighter than go to cleric and put that last point on a level 8 ? I thought they got rid of that in the newer games where you had to at least be level 9 in your second class before they allowed you to put that last point in
  • hockmah2hockmah2 Member Posts: 10
    sarevok57 said:

hockmah2 said:

how do you get grand mastery with a fighter dual over to cleric? do you do level 6 fighter than go to cleric and put that last point on a level 8 ? I thought they got rid of that in the newer games where you had to at least be level 9 in your second class before they allowed you to put that last point in
    I was talking as a posibility, cleric only can get 2 pips but a fighter -> cleric can get all (not in bg1). I was thinking in bg2 but i didnt try it yet in LOB.

P.D I have problems writing in english (it is not my original language), then I try to simplify my ideas to write less xD
  • iNtuiNtu Member Posts: 37
    The XP matters for me, I grow tired of prolonged grinds that do not reward me accordingly. It's like in that South Park WOW episode - I simply do not get much pleasure from killing 'millions of boars' with minimum improvements. I need progress and I'm spoiled by IWD XP bonuses.

I enjoy games with correct progress flow, where I get new spells/abilities/items and see my characters develop. I know that sometimes it can get ridiculous, like improving your shield skills in Elder Scrolls by asking companions to attack you and blocking their attacks with your shield for hours, just so that you feel good that you haven't cheated :)

I'm sure this is part of psychology, we expect rewards for all kinds of tasks and when rewards are not so good - we usually skip those tasks.

But if you enjoy it, then you are receiving rewards, they are just different to what others would perceive as a reward.

No matter what I imagine about my characters, I still prefer them to improve in timely fashion, corresponding to my own patience.

We are all different of course, I personally would prefer reading a good book over playing Torment, for example. (please don't hiss at me :) )
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I'm planning to... Some day, an Elven Archer will complete this task (because Archers are broken in BG1, specially at low levels).
    CrevsDaak said:

I'm planning to... Some day, an Elven Archer will complete this task (because Archers are broken in BG1, specially at low levels).

even at higher levels with the tuigan bow and the quiver of plenty +2 they are still deadly

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    sarevok57 said:

CrevsDaak said:

even at higher levels with the tuigan bow and the quiver of plenty +2 they are still deadly

Yeah, but at those levels you could run a Barbarian with pretty much the same success, while during the early stages of the game a Barbarian in Legacy of Bhaal isn't as good (also, the Big Metal Unit's crossbow is better IMO).
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    I just had my cat familiar fight Reevor's rats for me... worked pretty well with me bashing them from behind with a wooden staff... the whole fight took about 5mins.
    Mr2150 said:

I just had my cat familiar fight Reevor's rats for me... worked pretty well with me bashing them from behind with a wooden staff... the whole fight took about 5mins.

hahaha, wow, 5 minutes? the most epic rat fight ever :)
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Those rats, man... we need to tame those rats and take over the whole blasted sword coast with them.
  • gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    I did my playthrough with a character that had already finished the game once. I just put a bunch of the good equipment that I knew I would use on him, then exported him with all of it. It was a pretty easy run like that and I can only imagine how awful it would be to start it on that mode at level 1.
    invisibility 10' radius is your friend of LoB mode, that spell makes it so you can dodge all the unnecessary fights to help you keep your sanity
  • IhatememesIhatememes Member Posts: 29
    No. I think hard is enough in BG1, after hard it just becomes tedious:
    "shit ogre berserker saved vs spell, oh he killed Ajantis with first hit - I guess I need to learn to play"

You can't even melee on Insane/Legacy.

Insane is nice in BG2, but too much for me in BG1. I don't want to run around with only ranged weapons and needing to web every fight and pray to RNG gods that everyone doesn't make saves.
  • AnaxieAnaxie Member Posts: 79
    edited July 2016
    The real Insane difficulty is having a Monk not be a dead weight party slot in BG1 Insane+SCS mode
  • randomhero890randomhero890 Member Posts: 86
    edited July 2016
    Once I get all my chars to absolute max level (or beyond, the xp cap removal) with all the best gear, I am going to try importing them into a new game. I gave up trying to start from level 1 in Legacy of bhaal mode. Yeah it might be do-able, but basically only by cheesing the game out and sitting 4 archers to focus fire one enemy who chases around one of your chars in a big circle.....for 15 straight minutes

It reminds me of how I was able to take on content that was way too hard for my level in games like Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Skyrim, by sitting behind a boulder that the mob can't get around and shooting it in the shoulder for like 15 straight minutes. No satisfaction in beating content that way

I'm just going to pretend Legacy of Bhaal mode is another word for New Game+, which was a mode that console games used to do to allow your max'ed char who beat the game to start over. But even then, I'm wondering if it will be do-able without excessive amounts of cheese. I can definitely say to avoid using any offensive spellcaster. Not only will you not be able to land spells because of the enemy's saves, but you will spend all your memorized spells to do 1/5th of the enemy's health

It's gonna be archers, archers, archers for my next attempt at Legacy of Bhaal

Once I get all my chars to absolute max level (or beyond, the xp cap removal) with all the best gear, I am going to try importing them into a new game. I gave up trying to start from level 1 in Legacy of bhaal mode. Yeah it might be do-able, but basically only by cheesing the game out and sitting 4 archers to focus fire one enemy who chases around one of your chars in a big circle.....for 15 straight minutes

It reminds me of how I was able to take on content that was way too hard for my level in games like Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Skyrim, by sitting behind a boulder that the mob can't get around and shooting it in the shoulder for like 15 straight minutes. No satisfaction in beating content that way

I'm just going to pretend Legacy of Bhaal mode is another word for New Game+, which was a mode that console games used to do to allow your max'ed char who beat the game to start over. But even then, I'm wondering if it will be do-able without excessive amounts of cheese. I can definitely say to avoid using any offensive spellcaster. Not only will you not be able to land spells because of the enemy's saves, but you will spend all your memorized spells to do 1/5th of the enemy's health

It's gonna be archers, archers, archers for my next attempt at Legacy of Bhaal

for how I beat legacy of lol mode that's exactly what I did, I imported a team that finished bg and used them, it was a lot more bearable, but enimes in mobs take a longer time ( since wand of fireballs no longer kills them in one hit) so I found that invisibility 10' radius is your friend in this mode, avoiding trivial baddies that you don't need to fight in, especially for the fact that you are at max level, there is really no point in killing baddies

so all I did was grab the best stuff and 10' radius my way to sarevok, at least that battle was fun to do

• randomhero890randomhero890 Member Posts: 86
    I just realized there is absolutely no way I would be able to do a LoB run of SC tactics. I just finished the bandit camp on insane mode on SC tactics and it was, for lack of a better word, insane. There was at least 40+ enemies in that camp, including named enemies who hit for 100 damage in a single swing. There were 10+ bandit archers firing arrows of cold or fire at a time. If I were to use LoB to give them all 200+ health, it would be completely undoable, probably even by a party of level 40+ characters from BG2! :(

Big props to SC tactics mod creator for creating such a great challenge, it took me at least 3 different re-loads to get that camp cleared on insane mode