Skip to content

Diablo Minimal and No Reload Thread (spoilers)

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Some conclusions can be made from this:

The loot is worthless ofc
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    I may continue some new run but I don't have the time to post a full story each time. Anyone interested if I continue to do the same kind of posts I did for my previous attempt?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Yes, please!
    He's back :p

Bart Update

The Claw Vipers temple was one of the most challenging areas Bart visited so far. And note, Bart does not grind, as in he doesn't visit the same areas more than once. The barbarian had to use strategic retreat quite often, but all in all, he reached level 2 and faced Fangskin.

NOPE. Lightning enchanted adds lightning damage based on % of monster's meele damage. Extra strong means more damage. Convinction aura means Bart's ligtning resistance is not existent. All of that equal ultimate ass kicking. Hence Bart destroyed the altar and grabbed the amulet without facing the claw viper.

Reward for his efforts: no harem girls nearby.

Bart's unbuffed stats and changes in skills and equipment:

If you are wondering why there is throw mastery:

The spears are for those tiny nuclear bombs in Act III (and sometimes act V).

Changes in equipment:

Traded life and defense for faster hit recovery and lightning resistance. I think it might be worth it, as the lightning attacks can be most devastating.

Second weapon slots for boss-killing:

Nya.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    @lefreut That's a good one! My own druid was still alive in Hell, around lvl 80, when I had to switch computers and lost all the saves.
    edited November 2018

D2 LoD 1.14D: Act1 Normal

Bengoshi goal is to become a Wind Druid like its great predecessor Yahiko. But as the wind skills unlock late, he will start by using fire skills and then respec when he hits level 18.

First fight against an unique monster.

Bengoshi goes to rescue Deckard Cain and gets a nice shield as a reward.

Bengoshi finds a book that leads to an ancient tower. The Countess gives some good runes drop.

The fight against the Smith goes nicely. He has lot of HP but Molten Boulder is insane at low level. It literally destroys everyone.

D2 LoD 1.14D: Act1 Normal part2

I don't have a lot of screenshots this time as I was too lazy but Bengoshi easily beats Andy :)

Bart update

Arcane Sanctuary and Tal Rasha's tomb were much more of a chore than I anticipated and it was due to physical-immune ghosts. Bart has berserk skill, that is true. However, it comes with drawbacks and without grinding, the damage Bart was doing was still not impressive. They were a pain to deal with if they don't focus on mercenary due to their mana drain. Berserk = 0 defense = getting hit a lot = instant mana drain = using tons of mana potions.

So, clearing up AS took a lot of time, especially since I choose the right direction on my 4th try. And the Tomb of Tal Rasha spawned ghosts, of course, significantly slowing down my progress. But finally:

Time to battle Duriel:

Good news? It took only 1 Full Rejuvation potion and one trip back to town to replenish ordinary health potions. The bad news? The loot.

I felt as if I was struck in the fave with Duriel's claw, to be honest. The charm was +1-2 cold damage, if you were wondering...

edited November 2018

D2 LoD 1.14D: Act2 Normal

Bengoshi fights against Radament to get a free skill point.

And then he goes rune hunting with the Countess.

This quest is always annoying with the tiny corridors. But in the end, Bengoshi beats the big evil worm.

Nice back to back drops :) (I don't know how long I will use the belt as it only has two rows of potions).

Even though he could now switch to Wind, Bengoshi decides to keep using Fire for now, he even craft a wand to help against Duriel.

I'm not sure yet when I'm going to respec to use Wind.
    I think you can wait with respec until you finish normal difficulty. The only fire-immune monster you are likely to encounter is Grand Vizer of Chaos in Chaos Sanctuary and your mercenary can make a quick work of him.
    Bart vs Act III hell

The first problematic thing was The Spider Cavern, Shaark the Burning and its minions in particular. They do a huge amount of damage and are quite resistant, fast-healing and they do run away when injured. This is the time I actually started using the Heart of the Volverine charges from the Passion Runeword, just to earn little bit more attack rating and damage.

The second was Flyer's Dungeons, with my greatest and beloved fans in form of mini nukes aka. Undead Soul Killers. Thankfully, this time around I was able to make them focus on the mercenary. I also noticed that I haven't been doing much with throwing weapons, so Merc did all the job.

Another problem was Ruined Temple, the spiders in particular. Aside from being resistant to damage and all that, they have insanely strong poison that practically forced me to go back to city multiple times.

Meanwhile, Bart bought himself a new armor with ~750 defense. He needed to respec to be able to wear it, though. Also, Bart found a +30% enhanced damage, +7% fhr gem and inserted it in Aldur's Weapon. I forgot about taking the screenshots of the stats and skills, but I'll provide them in the next update.

Travincal wasn't that bad, actually. The only problem was one Council Member spawned with immunity to physical damage, which was bad. It also proritizing attacking me rather than merc, and with Cursed and 0 defense from Berserk, it was not very good encounter.

With Durace of Hate I was super lucky. First of all, no My Greatest Fans(tm) spawns at all. Also, I found entrance to the 3rd level almost immediately when I got to the second level. So I could face Mephisto soon after:

The loot is garbage-tier though.
    Believe it or not, @O_Bruce , but before I started playing D2 to complete the hardcore playthrough, I never grinded and played just as you do now - without all the shiny stuff. Good luck!

@lefreut Fire is better for Normal, you can respec later.
    @JuliusBorisov Thanks, I'm going to need that luck.

Bart vs Hell on Hell difficulty. Damn, I'm so funny

For starters, stats and skills:

Aldur's Rhythm's with the new jewel

Fight with Izual.

The skill points went into Double Swing

In the River of Flames Bart found a devil star and decided to imbule it at Charsi's. The effect is this:

This picture depict the epicness of battle against Hephasto, who rolled spectral hit, aura enchanted (holy shock) and extra strong. As a result, Hephasto dealt about 500 damage per hit, and he was rather accurate with his strikes. I had to kite him a lot.

All for a Lum rune. But that's actually good, since if I manage to find some good armor with 2 slots, then I can make Smoke runeword.

I am surprised that I haven't made any screen captures from clearing up the Chaos Sanctuary... In general, getting through act IV took me surprisingly long time due to Groteque that are spawning its young. It slowed Bart down considerably. But even without those, Chaos Sanctuary was like hour of playthrough, maybe more.

As for seal guardians, only Vizer of Chaos was relatively easy to beat. Lord de Seis by himself isn't that much of a deal, but his minions were hitting hard. And about Infector of Souls, he's always a challenge.

Diablo himself however, was dealt with quite smoothly in comparison:

Just for you to know, Julius, I really need that "good luck".

I guess that the Demon Lord's most devastating attack is weak loot (but Diablo's firestorm was also badass).

edited November 2018

D2 LoD 1.14D: Act3 Normal

One day, I will catch the Dark Wanderer :p

Some drops :)

It's time to hunt Mephisto.

Bengoshi is victorious \o/ He will have to level up a little to gain some strength to be able to use the drops.

D2 LoD 1.14D: Act4 Normal

Bengoshi does good damage so the fight against Izual was not as long as usual.

Yet another insane rune drop from the Hell's forge :|

The game decides to redeem itself quickly after that.

It's time to avenge Ajantis !

Diablo can really do a lot of range damage so Bengoshi has to be very careful.

• lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Wish strenght and luck for Bart to stand the nightmares of Hell's last act. Good to see Bengoshi's return and good progress too.
    Bart vs Act V Hell, part 1

I was bloody relieved when Bart entered Bloody Foothills, since the main mix of monsters that I've encountered there were Death Maulers (the spiky tentacle bois) and Imps, both were much easier to deal with than what Act IV had to offer. And so eventually, Bart reached Shenk the overseer.

After that is done, I've decided to do certain gear change and see how it goes. I don't think I mentioned this but I held on Angel's set ring and amulet. This combo results in huge boost to attack rating (that still increases with your character's level), but to use it I needed to sacrifice my all res amulet and one of the rings. I wanted to test it out, how the combo would work.

And let me tell you this. I may lost 16% of my resistances and little more of lightning and poison resistance. But... The attack rating from using Frenzy skyrocketed from about 2400 to over 6000! That meant my average chance to hit a monster increased from 55% to about 78%. turns out, it was huge damage boost overall and I went with it. Of course, I had to be more careful with opponents like skeletal mages and such, but I had not encountered anything too nasty before entering ice caverns for the first time.

But before I describe that, take a look at that:
    Unfortunately, my merc has something better and I don't even know if -50% target defense apply for mercenaries. I know that affixes like "preventing monsters from healing" does not.

So I started my search for Anya and the mix of monsters I got was Succubi (the blood start throwing ones), skeletal mages and... physical-immune ghost. But overall, I made a slow but surely progress and located every important landmark - waypoint, passage to the Gracial Trail and to the Frozen River. Also, I need to thank for wishing me luck, because I found this:
    You expected some unique item? Nope! But this Cruel Falcata was a huge damage boost and I switched it with Aldur's Rhythm. Despite how it seems like, it really was worth it. Also, when I still was using Aldur's Rhythm, there was a problem with Berserk skill.

Namely, I could either attack with that skill using weak Aldur's Rhythm or more powerful Passion. The first resulted in weaker damage, the second was more devastating, but it also had chances for monsters to run away, which was impractical against some physical immunities, like ghosts. Now, I can use Falcata for that and results are much better.

Okay, then I went down to the Frozen River and the first thing I encountered were wendigo boss pack. It was dealt with swiftly, and so chad Bart kept strolling. Sirens? Annoying, sure, but manageable. Then Bart saw a lightning shooting from far away, and realized two things. First of all, Gloams were preparing the lube already. Second, he really needed to go back to town ands swap +9% all resist ring for +24% lightning resist ring.

With a mix of Gloams and Sirens, the progress to save Anya was a freaking chore. It took me making a baby steps to prevent too many monsters to target me, it took kiting Gloams and other enemies and it was very dangerous, difficult and frustrating. But I still managed to free Anya, got +10% to all resistances and reward from the younger girl. Unfortunately, the reward is not worth mentioning since I wear helmet from the Immortal King's set.

The last thing I did in this gaming session was locating important landmarks in the Gracial Trail. Waypoint and exit to the Frozen Tundra... and here is where I need to thank you all for witshing me good luck, since I found a socketed Wyrmhide (over 400 base defense) with 2 sockets. Hello, Smoke!
    Okay, so not only my defense is still great, I have more fhr now, charges of Weaken (which are useful) and most important of all, +50% to all resistances. Meaning not only that the drawbacks from using my Angel's set combo are not an issue anymore, but also when buffed with shouts, Bart have all resistances maxed out. Brilliant development!

Despite all this, I won't be celebrating until I'm done with this act, one way or another. For now I managed to catch up to Wawrzyniec, but I absolutely cannot allow myself for my effort to go to waste. I need to say sharp.

Also, I have no idea if I will be making and update this week or not. I need a little bit rest, since my stroll through the Frozen River was much more stressful than I anticipated.

D2 LoD 1.14D: Act5 Normal 1

Druids don't seem to be welcome here :'(

Shenk stands no chance against Bengoshi.

It was a very lucky Nihlathak run :o

edited November 2018

D2 LoD 1.14D: Act5 Normal 2

Time to fight the Ancients. The mercenary can tank them so it was safe.

Baal's Guardians. The last two packs are much more dangerous then the others. Bengoshi had to be very careful.

Uniq gloves \o/

The final battle (I think the game wants me to play Barbarian).

Bengoshi stats after defeating Bhaal :)

Congrats to Bengoshi and to you, @lefreut !

Sorry, no update from me this time around, simply because I haven't played since my last session.

But, I've found a news on one Polish gaming-related site... Apparently, initially Diablo IV was in production since 2014 and it was more like... Dark Souls kind of game, with TTP perspective and much more darker atmosphere than Diablo III. Apparently, this project was lead by Josh Mosqueira, the one behind Reaper of Souls expansion for Diablo III. The project was scrapped, and Mosqueira left Blizzard.

More up to date Diablo IV project is supposed to bring isometric view back, while still being darker and less stylized than Diablo III (which is good).

The article is in Polish, and it can be found here:
    https://www.gram.pl/news/2018/11/22/pierwsze-projekty-diablo-iv-zakladaly-gre-akcji-tpp-w-stylu-dark-souls.shtml

Unfortunately, the one source that the article states is Kotaku, which I don't consider reliable. But it is truth that Josh left Blizzard and that might be the potential reason.

Any thought on the matter?
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    that probably would have pulled me back in, too bad :(
    O_Bruce said:

Any thought on the matter?

I still hope for a good Diablo IV but with all the changes at Blizzard (Mike Morhaime leaving and with Activision influence) I don't know what to expect :/

Nightmare Act1: Part1

It's now time for Bengoshi to switch from Fire to Wind skills to unleash his full power. Here are his skills distribution after a few level up :)

Bengoshi tries his new specialization against Blood Raven.

This can be useful in hardcore!

Bengoshi rescued Deckard Cain once again. He is the princess Peach of the Diablo universe.

Some runes during the Countess run.

OH MY GOD B)

Congrats. You have found really good item for yourself :3

Nightmare Act1: Part2

Sol rune after a few countess runs \o/ Now Bengoshi needs to find a nice two sockets helm but so far he was unlucky.

Now that Bengoshi uses a one hand weapon, he needs a shield. So he decides to use the Ancient's Pledge runeword (the shield is mediocre but I got tired of trying to find a better one and anyway I should be able to redo the runeword if needed).

The fight against Andy

edited November 2018
    Whooo! You did it! Congratulations! Very nice. It took you years, but you did it. So glad for you.

Hexxat welcomes Bart among the Guardians!
    Good job @O_Bruce and Bart :) Very nice run.
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Congratulation @O_Bruce ! Hardcore, melee character and without grinding. That's impressive!