Skip to content

'Included' Mods

2»

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited October 2012
    There's also an entire area designed by modders in it.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    You mean the second level of the Ice Dungeon, right? IIRC, they found the area file, populated it with a bunch of Winter Wolves and restored it to the game.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    As i said, Beamdog can just avoid the intelectual modder content, use the already coded areas and quests that where never implemented in the game and finish by making their own version of the uncompleted half-coded quests, maps, monsters and etc...
    Kilivitz said:

You mean the second level of the Ice Dungeon, right? IIRC, they found the area file, populated it with a bunch of Winter Wolves and restored it to the game.

Exactly. Nobody knows what was going to be there.
  • jolly_bbjolly_bb Member Posts: 122
    mlnevese said:

Kilivitz said:

Exactly. Nobody knows what was going to be there.
    Would be nice, but i'm afraid this is not going to happen for BGEE. I guess at the end BGEE will be very much lacking in the same areas as vanilla game (e.g. unfinished quests/content)...

edited October 2012
    Let´s celebrate both lists :) There´s a few hours of mod intallation cut right there... And with OGG support it'll be even faster to install NPC mods :)
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    @AndreaColombo

- BG1 NPCs ( @cmorgan has manifested his intention to make it compatible asap after BG:EE's release)

This may be somewhat of an exaggeration (and I'm not sure cmorgan actually said that per se). Of all the mods, BG1 NPC Project might prove the most difficult to make compatible, due to the fact that BGEE has changed so much dialogue. Also, right off the bat, any mods that add items (including BG1 NPC Project) will be incompatible, since you have changed the very way that item descriptions are listed, causing redundant "usable by" sections and many other incongruities between mod-added items and game items. This will be quite troublesome for modders, actually, and it's quite possible that a lot of larger mods will never be compatible, since a lot of the mod authors aren't even around anymore.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Yeah, you get to pick two out of three for BG1 NPC:
    • A quick release
    • A stable release
    • @cmorgan's sanity
    I'm feeling pretty good about BG2 Tweaks w.r.t. BGEE, though.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    CamDawg said:

Yeah, you get to pick two out of three for BG1 NPC:

• A quick release
    • A stable release
    • @cmorgan's sanity
    I'm feeling pretty good about BG2 Tweaks w.r.t. BGEE, though.
    I choose A and B! Sanity is overrated. :)
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Poor @cmorgan.

That said, I can't really imagine playing BG1 without the NPC pack...
    edited October 2012
    I'd be happy with one of three, preferably cmorgan's sanity :D. Not saying a quick and stable BG1 NPCs for BGEE wouldn't be great - I just don't think it's possible even if we were able to throw a crack team of WeiFU ninjas on it. Might want to check at least your map markers component with the recent builds, @CamDawg.

Edit: also Exotic Items, at least their descriptions in the new builds.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I like the mod to be stable and cmorgan to be sane. And apparently I myself should be less cynical. Though I feel bad for MacReady to have his team's work Tutu called 'made obsolete'. Didn't think that to be respectful. I do like BGEE a lot though. It's not like I'd want to discourage it in anyway. But apparently sometimes saving the cabbage is hurtful to the goat. Or the other way around.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    edited October 2012
    @Miloch - The "(Not) usable by" header was killed by Dave before I even started to proofread the game's text, because it was always the devs' plan to add the information via GUI code. Avoiding redundancy is as easy as to provide an alternative description for mod-added items that only installs if BG:EE is detected*, and which doesn't contain that header.

* this will be made possible as confirmed by @ScottBrooks last summer.
    Post edited by AndreaColombo on
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I don't think that obsolete would be the right term. But once both BG 1 and 2 get Enhanced, and the modders get caught up, there won't be much call for Tutu anymore. It will have been important forerunner but there won't be much call to keep it updated anymore. They can do other things.

It won't be obsolete the way Horse and Buggies are, but it will be replaced with an integrated feature. Like, some homemade modification for car safety being replaced by integrated seatbelts.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438

Though I feel bad for MacReady to have his team's work Tutu called 'made obsolete'. Didn't think that to be respectful.

Yes, it'd be terrible if folks didn't appreciate the author of Tutu (*cough* japheth *cough*). :)

Tutu (and for that matter, BGT) have been around a looooot longer than most folks realize.
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    I did not mean to be disrespectful to TuTu when saying it to be obsolete.

I did really appreciate the modders behind TuTu and BGT for making an aged game into something much more enjoyable until BGEE was announced. In fact, I'd say that Tutu and BGT helped inspired BGEE amongst other modders that kept this game fresh for so long.

All I'm saying is that I just don't see TuTu having as much use as it once was after the release of BGEE due to the main feature of TuTu is being implemented by professionals.

cmorgan said:

but hey, since Windows 8 is headed for lockdown we all need to start being Linux users anyways

Hear, hear. We should all be using Linux... it's a shame not all software runs on it. But as I've always said, it's the most secure OS, and it's free.
    Where there is a will, a willing cooperative development team, and some modding folks willing to work, there is a way.
    I find your lack of faith disturbing. Oh, wait... I find *my* lack of faith disturbing. :D It's the plural "folks" that I wonder about. I am willing to do what I can but I'm not sure if we can get anyone else. Most of the modders who worked on this are hardly full-time anymore, and a lot are just simply gone or not interested.

@Miloch - The "(Not) usable by" header was killed by Dave before I even started to proofread the game's text, because it was always the devs' plan to add the information via GUI code. Avoiding redundancy is as easy as to provide an alternative description for mod-added items that only installs if BG:EE is detected*, and which doesn't contain that header.

* this will be made possible as confirmed by @ScottBrooks last summer.

@AndreaColombo - Detecting BGEE is not a problem. But you underestimate the "ease" in providing alternative descriptions for mod-added items. Not only do modders have to write a load of semi-redundant descriptions for all items, but what's worse, so do all translators, and for a lot of popular mods, this multiplies a non-trivial effort by a factor of 5 or 6 or more.
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    Calling something obsolete doesn't imply any disrespect. The Spitfire fighter is obsolete; so is the tea clipper. Both were masterpieces of design in their day.