Skip to content

What is your class?

ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
I don't remember seeing a poll like this yet, so let's have at it!
Since the poll options are restricted to 10, I had to pair up some classes.
As always, please specify in the comments.

This is not about which class you want to be, but which you most likely would be, based on your real self.
So unless you are actually play an instument more than occassionally or are a regular writer of prosa or poetry, you probably wouldn't be a bard or if you don't actually know martial arts and stuff, you won't be a monk. Savvy?

PS: This is not just AD&D but all editions and maybe Pathfinder if you wanna.
  1. What is your class?39 votes
    1. Bard
      10.26%
    2. Cleric
        5.13%
    3. Druid/ Shaman
        5.13%
    4. Fighter/ Barbarian/ Monk
        7.69%
    5. Wizard/ Sorcerer/ Warlock
      25.64%
    6. Paladin
        7.69%
    7. Ranger
        2.56%
    8. Rogue
        7.69%
    9. Dual/ Multiclassed
      15.38%
    10. Other
      12.82%
Post edited by Buttercheese on

Comments

• JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    I have a tendency to over-plan and be very strategic, yet often employ a simple (and if a bit brute-force) method of solving problems. So... Fighter/Wizard?
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    edited July 2016
    This is not an IE choice. Cleric has always been my favorite class in any games that let you play it.
    No healing = no future.
    You are just more important than the others.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    The most comprehensible definition of my would-be D&D class I can offer is one such as this:
    If I had a hound which would go about and chase a stray cat and the stray cat in turn would chase a squirrel and the squirrel would at whatever point of its lifetime lay its dung on the ground, then the likes of Ao and Lady of Pain, along with all their subjects and associates, might indulge in large-scale temple building projects and mass sacrifices, so as to honour the worship of these meagre rodent droppings, for fear of being unmade.
    Though, honestly, I'm just a really nice guy. Too nice, sometimes.
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    I'm a cleric/thief guy. Can't help it. Both classes are crucial and irreplaceable. At a table you're everyone's favorite friend and in BG you can surround yourself with any group of NPCs and never feel a lack in your party
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited July 2016
    Made an addendum to the start post, the classes are not just AD&D (which is why I went with rogue, not thief). Other editions count as well.

Anyway, I am not sure which class I would be. Probably something multiclassed. A few levels of bard (used to play drums as a teenager and I am an artist), a few levels of ranger (my father was an actual ranger and he taught me a thing or two). I always felt drawn to the sorcerer class, because I am a self taught artist. I'll go with bard for now, since that is the one artistic class.

@PK2748 This is about what class represents you IRL the most, not which would be most useful in game.
    Hey I'm crucial and irreplaceable in life just as I am at a a table
    But do you actually steal stuff/ work as a lock smith and are a very religous person/ doctor/ nurse or something along those lines?
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    I did a quiz thing some time back for a character class and it said I was either a paladin or a sorcerer. So close were the results, in fact, that it was only one question that decided between the two, otherwise I was a dual class paladin/sorcerer (even though that's not a valid class in 2e, which is what I was trying to decide for). I can relate to honour (though, obviously, that is a subjective principle), decency, law and justice, as well as tradition to some degree. Generally trying to be a nice person.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110

I'll go with bard for now, since that is the one artistic class.

Now that you have a bard hat... is there really any other choice? :P

But do you actually steal stuff/ work as a lock smith and are a very religous person/ doctor/ nurse or something along those lines?

Of course, I'm a publicly employed social worker. With a background in religious nonprofits even.
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    I can't decide between ranger or rogue. I'm somewhat good at mechanical devices and gaining entry, I certainly enjoy collecting shinies, but also enjoy the outdoors, animals, and archery.

Choices, choices.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @4ward I think you misunderstood the point of this thread. Please read the start post.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    My parents sold my soul to the devil so Warlock... err I mean, I write and am able to inspire or motivate other people to do evil accomplish goals, so Bard?

That's believable right? Bard it is.
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    I think about this so much. My wife teases me about it constantly... she tells me I'm a ranger though and 95% of the time I'd agree... only occasionally deviating to druid for more powerful healing.

@ifupauline

Healing is most crucial, I agree. However I always felt that healing without practical defence is likely to be insufficient when it comes to defending your own. I see rangers as a nice part of that solution (i.e. they have the practical side with a bit of appreciation of healing)... I always pick slow poision & cure disease as a ranger too.

@Ravenslight

That's sweet about helping critters. I volunteer as an injured wild animals rescue driver (I go pick them up and take them to the vet), which is another reason my wife believes I'm mostly ranger. I struggle with the notion of eating animals these days though.

@Hudzy

I struggled with that question for years but settled on Ranger as I got a bit older, for some reason.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I would be most likely what I am in real life - a commoner. I have no exceptional skills in any area. And even if I have some education, I doubt that would translate as "wizard/mage". I'm also talentless, so innate spellcasting like Sorceror's wouldn't apply for me. And I'm not fond of religion, so being a cleric/priest is a big no.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    In real life I am an artist, teacher and DJ, but I can't sing or play an instrument, so I guess I'd be a sorcerer or a creative wizard .
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    @jesterdesu
    Ahh… a kindred spirit. :) I have always felt that it would be neat if there were a class that was more of a cross between ranger and druid.

This discussion reminded me of a test I took years ago that was designed to help you pick a career that was most suited to you. Mine told me that I should become a forest ranger. :)
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Haha looks like most people answered Wizard.
  • OudynOudyn Member Posts: 74
    I have a physical co-ordination disorder and absent-minded tendencies made up for by a high degree of intellect, especially in critical thinking centered fields. I'm guessing Wizard would be my class, although my father says my eccentricities and strong emotions juxtaposed with rationality make me a clear choice for Psion. Really, I'm cool with either. Of course, it's also very much a possibility that I would lack the discipline required to pursue the arcane arts through empirical learning and thus become a Warlock or Witch who experiments with bizarre and unusual forms of magic. Sorcerer is also a possibility, but the thought of being a Sorcerer with 12 charisma makes me want to cry. Yay, second level spells.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373

@jesterdesu
    Ahh… a kindred spirit. :) I have always felt that it would be neat if there were a class that was more of a cross between ranger and druid.

This discussion reminded me of a test I took years ago that was designed to help you pick a career that was most suited to you. Mine told me that I should become a forest ranger. :)

I played a Ranger/ Druid in NWN 2 which sort of fitted that... but mostly I'm satisfied enough with a Ranger and taking healing type spells :)

Did you become a forest ranger? I dream of that job too.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

Haha looks like most people answered Wizard.

Well most people think of themselves as smart. Few people have any experience swinging swords (fighter/paladin). Few people have outdoor survival skills (ranger/Druid).

Wizard/Sorceror is the easiest class to see an educated person from a 1st world country falling into.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    @jesterdesu
    Oddly enough, no. So much for tests. :)
    edited July 2016

I'm a pharmacist, so my magic arts are: pharmaceutical chemistry, toxicology, pharmacognosy(medicinal plants) so i probably could fit in shaman category as well. :smiley:

That would make you an alchemist.
    Alright, since there seems to be some general confusion going on here for some people, so let me clarify what I see the different classes would stand for IRL in addition to the actual real life equivalents (extremely simplified and dumbed down; no, you don't need to fulfill all requirements):

Barbarian: Supersticious, strong, brute
    Bard: Artist (preferably musician, writer, dancer or actor), charismatic, good at performing for a crowd
    Cleric: Very religious, some type of healer (doctor, nurse, etc.)
    Druid: Close to nature, works with animals (vet, zoo keeper, etc.)
    Fighter: Soldier, trained in non-eastern martial arts or weapons (krav maga, street fighting, boxing, etc.), athletic
    Monk: Follows eastern religion/ philosophy (taoism, buddhism, etc.)
    Paladin: Loyal, good-natured, strong morals, disciplined, police officer
    Ranger: Hiker, archer, hunter, wild-keeper, forest warden
    Rogue: Locksmith, cleptomaniac, f***ing people over for a living
    Shaman: Spiritual, esoteric
    Sorcerer: Naturally gifted, doesn't do well with traditional learning (i.e. smart but still bad in school)
    Warlock: Actual satanist or something along those lines, black metalhead, goth
    Wizard: Insanely booksmart, doctor/ professor, stage magician

Other:
    - Alchemist: Chemist, cook
    - Technomancer: Engineer
    - Witch: Like shaman but with obvious stereotypes
    - etc.

Shaman and witch are tricky, because of the real-world implications.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Buttercheese OK let's say Technomancer/Wizard/Fighter/Warlock :D
This discussion has been closed.