Skip to content

Who should I boot from my party to make room for Saverok??

RamshineRamshine Member Posts: 36
I just started TOB and Saverok wants to tag along. I really like the idea of him being in my party but I'm having a hard time deciding who to cut. I'm leaning toward Imoen. The most RP sence because she is Baal spawn and would want to protect her and keep her out of harms way. Plus she has been whining about wanting to go home all of and after would want to protect her and keep her out of harms way. Plus she has been whining about wanting to go home all of Bg2. That being said I heard she was a really key player that being said I heard she was a really he fired in TOB and it's really fun to see her interact with Saverok. It's a hard place because I've grown so close to all of my characters so I thought I'd get the forums input on the subject :3 it's worth mentioning That I romanced Viconia.
  1. Who should I boot from my party to make room for Saverok??84 votes
    1. Minsc
      60.71%
    2. Edwin
      17.86%
    3. Viconia
        3.57%
    4. Jaheira
      11.90%
    5. Imoen
        1.19%
    6. Don't take Saverok
        4.76%

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    What class is your PC? You'll most likely want to have a thief in your party and Imoen is one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RamshineRamshine Member Posts: 36
    O_Bruce said:

What class is your PC? You'll most likely want to have a thief in your party and Imoen is one.

I'm Kenzai Mage. I know right so creative.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    If you want Sarevok Minsc is the likeliest substitute. However, if you're not sure, just keep Minsc and do Sarevok another time.
  • RamshineRamshine Member Posts: 36
    edited October 2016
    What about Jahiera? Vicky can already do heals and buffs and I don't really use Jahieras Druid things much.

Keep it PG-13
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    sarevok is better than minsc in every way, so if you want to boot someone, minsc would be the one, no point in having 2 warriors who as skilled the same way, with one being significantly weaker than the other

the only thing that minsc has going for him is armor of faith, but with sarevok's higher HP, it really doesn't make up for it, plus sarevok's death bringer assault mixed in the with ravanger +6 is an absolute menace
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Get rid of the ranger. By TOB, you've heard all his one-liners anyway.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    Jaheira. I never liked her all that much and you don't need two healers. Minsc is somewhat redundant, but you can never have too much muscle.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    If you are Kensai Mage (yawn) and you want to accept Sarevok into your party, then I'll suggest to leave out Minsc. When I think about Minsc and Sarevok, I think about characters with similar fighting style - two handed swords. And one of those is enough IMO.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    As much as I love Minsc, he seems to be the most likely candidate. Sarevok is a better melee death machine. Alternatively, being a Kensai mage you could go without Imoen or Edwin as well. But Imoen rocks and she does actually have dialogue in TOB, so either Edwin or MInsc imo
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Minsc might seem like the obvious option since he has the same job as Sarevok, and is worse at it overall, but Viconia actually has the least to offer of those 6 NPCs. TOB is a very melee-heavy game compared to SoA, which means Viconia's high MR and cleric buffs aren't as useful as Minsc's dual-wielding and Hardiness HLAs.

Plus, Viconia, as a single-classed cleric, has the worst scaling in TOB considering (1) Imoen's Planetar makes Viconia's Fallen Deva unusable and (2) you already have Jaheira as a healer.

This is assuming you're playing SCS, or assuming EE switches Greater Restoration to be a single-target spell. If not, then Viconia's Greater Restoration will be a fabulous party-wide rescue option that is far more useful than Minsc's status as a tank.

Minsc might seem like the obvious option since he has the same job as Sarevok, and is worse at it overall, but Viconia actually has the least to offer of those 6 NPCs. TOB is a very melee-heavy game compared to SoA, which means Viconia's high MR and cleric buffs aren't as useful as Minsc's dual-wielding and Hardiness HLAs.

Plus, Viconia, as a single-classed cleric, has the worst scaling in TOB considering (1) Imoen's Planetar makes Viconia's Fallen Deva unusable and (2) you already have Jaheira as a healer.

This is assuming you're playing SCS, or assuming EE switches Greater Restoration to be a single-target spell. If not, then Viconia's Greater Restoration will be a fabulous party-wide rescue option that is far more useful than Minsc's status as a tank.

it is true that greater restoration has become a single healing spells, but mass raise dead, affect all team mates, heals them to full regardless on how much damage they have, and has infinite range, don't know if jaheira is going to get that spell, plus viconia for the longer run will have more level 7 spells than jaheira will have, so sorry to say, but when it comes to healing viconia does it better

but combat wise, I guess it goes to jaheira, being able to learn fighter HLAs is quite useful, mixed with armor of faith, iron skins, and hardiness then dishing out greater whirlwinds is quite nice

• AethernautAethernaut Member Posts: 60
    edited August 2016
    RP wise / storyline wise, I'd ditch Edwin.

He's the person in your group I can imagine Charname would have the weakest emotional bond to.

Minsc, Jaheira and Imoen are practically family and Viconia is your lover. Sarevok knows about the prophecy and given he'll get a bit of your own or Imoen's soul, I'd rather have him on a leash than left to stray and potentially oppose me again at a later point.

Edwin is an awesome mage, don't get me wrong, but keeping him around is purely professional if you ask me - I'd personally feel no grief telling him to leave the party. Imoen is a solid mage too and can wear the amulet of power.

Sarevok is better warrior than Minsc, but in defence of Minsc - he has some advantages that Sarevok doesn't. Armour of faith as a spell to stack with Hardiness HLA, the ability to wear amulet of power (Sarevok can't), berserk ability which boosts his important fighter stats over that of Sarevoks and gives him immunity to maze (or imprisonment - I forget which one) and he's viably lethal as dual wielder by the time you can get Sarevok.

I currently had Minsc dual wielding stonefire +3 and frostreaver +3 battle axes in Saradush kicking all manner of vampire arse, wearing the amulet of power. He mowed through them.

He's got 3-4 HLA's and Sarevok, who is a couple of levels behind him has yet to gain access to any.
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    I voted Edwin. Yes the most similar character is Minsc but he has been with you the whole time and helped you kick Sarevok's butt when he was taking out hits on you willy nilly and setting you up for murder. I know who I'd rather have at my back if push came to shove.
  • ArizaelArizael Member Posts: 263
    Depends what play-style you like. Personally i prefer warriors to mages in TOB (less micro, more DPS output). Imoen and PC should do enough to take care of arcane. So I would give Edwin the boot, while keeping Minsc´s awesome dual wield, armor of faith powered melee.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Since Imoen is a backup mage with near-18 int, she should stay. Assuming you're playing kensage the way most people do, you should be a good enough spellcaster that Edwin is somewhat redundant. But also listen to @semiticgod , because the only reason to keep Viccy is because you romanced her.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited August 2016
    sarevok57 said:

it is true that greater restoration has become a single healing spells, but mass raise dead, affect all team mates, heals them to full regardless on how much damage they have, and has infinite range, don't know if jaheira is going to get that spell, plus viconia for the longer run will have more level 7 spells than jaheira will have, so sorry to say, but when it comes to healing viconia does it better

but combat wise, I guess it goes to jaheira, being able to learn fighter HLAs is quite useful, mixed with armor of faith, iron skins, and hardiness then dishing out greater whirlwinds is quite nice

Uhh, is mass raise dead changed to fully heal the party? Last I recall it raised all and healed some little damage, not all hp. Haven't even bothered to pick the spell up cos I thought it was rubbish.

Still, I voted for Minsc at first but I see now @semiticgod is right on point. Viconia is the weakest link and should struggle to stay alive against fire giants, dragons, and drow backstabbers and kensais in ToB. Magic resistance is good but by ToB most anyone has excellent saves and counter spells/items to most magic. In ToB you need hit points, stoneskin+pro from magic weapons, and/or hardiness to survive. Viccy has none. High ac and mr is super powerful in BG1 and early SoA. Not so much in ToB.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    You've got a fairly canon party there (in my opinion). That's the whole gang that can come with you from Baldur's Gate right up through to Throne of Bhaal. Imoen might make the most sense from an RP perspective. Mechanically, you want to get rid of Minsc. Ideally, Minsc and Edwin would have decided to off each other before the end of SoA, and you could've replaced the loser with Sarevok - but again, it's much harder to accept the loss of a Thief/Mage or a Mage in your current party set up that to accept the loss of Minsc, who performs a fundamentally identical role to Sarevok unless you really venture off the grid and dual class him.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited August 2016
    Tricky one.
    Viconia is your love and RP wise should stay. And her clerical magic and undead control are still useful, but your saving throws at this point are very good and you can probably survive without chaotic commands.
    And she is not Aerie, that can boost herself and go mlee fully protected with 4 APR at maximum damage and 25 STR. Viky will die fast in TOB if used so. She has Energy blades to deal damage, but is the less useful at this point of the game.

Minsk and Sarevok. It seems that doing the same job one is redundant, I don't think so. Sarevok with his GM will use only one type of weapon, 2 hander, while the Ranger can DW, tank with a shield or go with another 2 hander, only 2 pips but versatility. Using them together is very effective and there are good weapons enough to equip 4 fighters, they are not in competition for that.

Jaheira can DW very well, has Ironskin to tank, and imo in TOB druidic magic rooks. Not only the insects spells, think at Summon Elemental Prince, that can be summoned together with a Planetar, IHasted are 2 more strong fighters even in end game.

Imoen and Edwin. Immy is the only thief you have, can use a bow and cast every spell. Edwin can cast more spells X day but 1 school is prevented. And you have only 1 RoV, that at this point should be used by the main caster, not by your KM that can protect himself in other ways and deal physical damage. If Imoen is not too underdeveloped imo is the best pick. RP there are good reasons both to drop her, to protect her, and have her in the party. Arcane magic rules, but RoV and IA change the things, now Charname is more then enough as second mage of the party.

So you can have 4 strong hitters, Minsk and Sarevok with good HP and Charname and Jaheira with magical protection, 3 of them with fighter HLAs. Pretty solid. 2 places left.
    I will drop Viky if the power is your only concern because even if Imoen and Edwin seem to be redundant for the reasons I have already told you can configure their spellbooks in different ways and give the robe to the one that has the better selection before the battle. But as the romance is quite interesting, imo the best written of all, I will keep her.

So I vote Edwin, or Immy if she is too underleveled.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    You don't need two healers nor do you need three mages. So I would get rid of Viconia, Jahiera, or Edwin. Jahiera is my least favorite, since I usually don't user here in melee much anyway. I could see going with any of the three though.
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Usually Minsc but since your romancing viccy you dont need jaheira ( or vice versa) so dump jaheira and will need more tanks than just sarevok so probably need both even if your PC is one too...Imoen possible optoin but thief/mage would be more handy and great for RP in TOB (as is sarevok)
    RelSundan said:

Wouldn't it be kind of funny if @sarevok57 voted for leaving Sarevok behind?

haha indeed it would, but unfortunately he is one of my favourite NPCs :)

• unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    edited October 2016
    For what rp related reasons would Minsc not go away after Suldanesselar? I can't think of anything for him to hold onto. In the beginning he was just blindly serving his witch. After that he had to go after imoen and pay Irenicus back, and what comes next? A war that has nothing to do with him?
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881

For what rp related reasons would Minsc not go away after Suldanesselar? I can't think of anything for him to hold onto. In the beginning he was just blindly serving his witch. After that he had to go after imoen and pay Irenicus back, and what comes next? A war that has nothing to do with him?

Minsc is a psychopath who needs regular carnage to keep his last vestiges of sanity. He just hides it beneath a thin veneer of heroism. Enemies constantly gravitates toward Charname so he knows he will have something to slaughter if he keeps tagging along. He makes a useful attack dog, so Charname has no reason to really get rid of him.

That's how I generally justify it. The beauty of alternative character interpretations!
  • jinxed75jinxed75 Member Posts: 157

Simple, he's a loyal person and a good friend who doesn't run away tail under when there are still butts to be kicked.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864

Minsc do what Boo tells him to do, point.
    If charname give to Boo enough nuts and other good food he, and Minsc, will never leave.
    If Jan is in the party even better, Boo secretly loves the gnome and would like to have mr Jansen as his personal pet, but, being very wise, knows that his ranger pet would loose his mind, the few that is still left after a life of being beat on his helm by every possible weapon. Boo is good aligned, he would never do this to his pet, so is happy to own Minsc and also secretly own Jan.
  • AriusArius Member Posts: 92
    Saverok can be dual classed into a thief or a Mage so I would keep him and dual class him to where you need help with.