Skip to content

UI Improvement Suggestions Thread

Comments

• Sophiel777Sophiel777 Member Posts: 54
    One thing I consider completely useless is that every time I pick up an item in my inventory another window is being opened in place of one from 1.3 and older versions. Every important piece of information was contained on one page which could be scrolled down. Current version is just redundant.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Mr2150 said:

Maybe like this:

I really like that! Though I think the XP bar should be a few pixels shorter on both sides to give it a little room to breathe.

Still not entirely convinced by the brown, but if it's pushed forward throughout the UI instead of red, then it's ok.

• PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    edited August 2016
    There doesn't need to be a box for the character description I guess (though I like it) but in that case in needs to be part of the grid with dividers both above and under. The background isn't black, it has textures. and the text wouldn't look good on it. I'm personally for the box to stay, I think it works visually better then the grid would.
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    How do you mean @Pecca ? A box like before going round the character description (Gender, Race, Class, Alignment and XP bar) ?

Can you use your expertise, surely better than mine, to show us? ;)
    Using your screen:

See... Miles better... That I like :)
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Does 'Male' and 'Human' necessarily have to be on two seperate lines? Wouldn't it look nicer if it is combined to 'Human Male'?
    edited August 2016
    @Doubledimas , we discussed exactly that on a previous page and @Dee and @Cahir quite rightly pointed out that it may work for English but for Polish or German it's not possible as the words are too long in those languages.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    My bad. I read it (on p.2) but forgot it again after seeing the last couple of screens.
    Mr2150 said:

See... Miles better... That I like :)

I like the box better. :)
    I... like these separators, but now it's the box around the portrait that's standing out for me. :p I guess I'll just shut up, now...
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The portrait may need a frame that's part of the rest of the screen, instead of on top of it.
    edited August 2016
    Yes, if we went that way, we would have to make all the screen one grid, like this:

I personally like the extra textures of boxes, but it's obviously about preference. There is just too little of graphics when it's all a grid, feels plain.

Edit: replaced the picture with correct ratio of the portrait.
    Post edited by Pecca on
    edited August 2016
    The boxes look fine on their own, but within another frame, things look a little too busy.

The above looks nice, but of course there's aspect ratio and original image size to keep in mind...

Alternatively, I wonder if the two vertical bars in the middle are required. If those are gone, then frames around the portrait and the race/class info could work.
    edited August 2016
    But they are not within any frame, they are next to them from left and right.

Edit: However, moving the grid above the buttons would allow them to have a same width conveniently. Plus the side columns can be wider. So that solution wins in this regard.

Post edited by Pecca on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    That makes the buttons look a lot less cramped! I like it :)
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Great job @Pecca . I hope they use your suggestions.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I think you don't need to change the label to Background anymore if Class Info is its own button. It's a good layout, though, and preserves the elements that a lot of people seem to miss about the old design.

@Pecca can you draft up that design with some information about what everything should do, either in the Feature Requests forum or on Redmine?
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I like that layout as well, but Just curious how to how it is going to work with a multi class character and the level bar.
    edited August 2016
    Dee said:

I think you don't need to change the label to Background anymore if Class Info is its own button. It's a good layout, though, and preserves the elements that a lot of people seem to miss about the old design.

@Pecca can you draft up that design with some information about what everything should do, either in the Feature Requests forum or on Redmine?

Okay, will do. Yes, background will change back, I just reused Mr2150's picture. I'll tidy it up and post a final design.

By the way, the browny font color I used for the paragraph headings is pretty much random. I just wanted something different than white. :)
    edited August 2016
    I still feel making it a little redder, like a darker crimson red, such as #A00000 would make it a better fit with the background:

Aaaaaand, for some reason I grabbed an older version to modify :| Well, it's just about the colors anyhow, but lemme see if I can redo it for a newer version.

Edit: There we go:

The text looks darker than the XP bar, because the XP bar is solid, and the text is thin and has anti aliasing. I tried one as well where the XP bar stays at #A00000 and the text is upped to #B80000:

Post edited by Thels on
    The text is way too dark which makes it hard to read.
    @Pecca: For both of them? I found the text for the first one too dark, so I brightened it up a little.
    Yeah, both. It's still a dark color on a dark background. I'd use this color (already used ingame):

Hmm, you could be right. It's about the brightest red that you can get that fits the theme. Add more red, and it becomes screaming red. Add more green or blue, and it quickly delves into pastel colors, which are a complete mismatch with the theme.
    Please, not red. Red says stop, danger, look at me, pay attention. Like flashing signs all over the screen. Good if it’s calling attention to the fact that my character has been ability drained, but irritating all over the screen.

I love the color red, but not here. :)
    @Pecca

Will you be making a similar post to the Feature Request forum, or Redmine to revert the dialog box back to a single scroll bar?