Skip to content

High Roll

Sorry... has to be shared...

I just rolled a natural 101, at character creation, for a Half-Elf Cleric/Ranger, party leader. Can't believe it! And I've managed to save him without screwing anything up (phew) :).

Str 18/36, Dex 18, Con 18, Int 11, Wis 18, Cha 18. Dual wield Warhammer & Mace. Spiders.

I was rolling for quite some time, and maxed out with a 96 (twice) - which I considered really good for this class - and then wham 101 out of nowhere. It's the highest roll I've ever made (I've done a lot of rolling in my time), and ironically I've done it with a Half-Elf rather than a Human Paladin or Elf Ranger.

Comments

• JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Well, Cleric/Rangers have higher minimal stats than many other combinations, so high stat rolls are somewhat more common. Still, congrats. Highest I've ever hit was 99 on a Necromancer, thanks to an auto-roller. Highest non-auto-roller I've ever got was just this morning, a 97 on a Dragon Disciple Sorcerer.
  • JDowJDow Member Posts: 71
    I was eyeing up a Dragon Disciple. I've never used one. How do you use their fire weapon without catching your own fighters in the flames?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I have probably made at least 10 000 if not 20 000 characters in my day, and not once have I ever rolled that high ( I believe my highest was a 97 or 98) so I say right on to you friend for getting that high :)
    Thank's Sarevok57. I can hardly believe it myself. I'm pretty certain I'll never roll a 101 again. It was a bit of a freak roll.

I'm taking a party with him through BG:EE now. To balance things up a bit the other five party members are based around characters with a 75 score. He's currently level 2/2, and I've picked up Bassilus' war hammer and then I made a quick dash up to Ulgoth's Beard (only had to fight two individual Anklegs to do that) and pick pocketed Hurgan Stoneblade for the +4 against giant humanoids hammer. And I'm dual wielding. So naturally I'm really looking forward to later doing that map which has the disproportionately large number of Orges, etc. on it. The one where the guy heals you for free.

• JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    edited August 2016
    JDow said:

I was eyeing up a Dragon Disciple. I've never used one. How do you use their fire weapon without catching your own fighters in the flames?

Trial and error. You learn the size and shape of the blast, then position accordingly. Also using it as a first strike helps, just lead the way and belch some fire. And when all else fails, Fire Resistance gear.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075

JDow said:

Trial and error. You learn the size and shape of the blast, then position accordingly. Also using it as a first strike helps, just lead the way and belch some fire. And when all else fails, Fire Resistance gear.
    Even better, use multiple Dragon Disciples, line them up and make them fire their breath weapon perpendicular to the line. None of them will hit each other.
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    Most impressive. And you managed to keep it!! Man, rerolling over that one would have been a deathbed regret. Congrats.
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    edited August 2016
    I decided that I needed to reroll my gnome cleric thief last night. I wasn't happy I accepted the 17 dex because now I want to dual Branwen to a thief as well. I rerolled him with the autoroller and I got 105!
    Post edited by PK2748 on
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Congrats!

The best roll I've ever gotten is nowhere near as impressive as yours, but I'm still quite happy with it.

Dwarven Fighter/Cleric

Strength: 18/00
    Dexterity: 17
    Constitution: 19
    Intelligence: 10
    Wisdom: 18
    Charisma: 12

I almost feel sad giving him the strength tome...
    I wish I could use the strength tome on a non fighter to get 18/00 strength instead of 19
    PK2748, why would you want to give up 19 strength for 18/00? :). I've always found non-fighters being able to go from 18 to 19 (or start with 19 if half-orc) one of the weirder things about the game - you'd think it would go from 18 to 18/50 or something. Also, when you give a halfling fighter with 17 strength the tome his strength goes to only 18 - you'd think it would go to 18/random.

Grum, hat off to you sir. Rolling 94 with 18/00 strength for a Dwarven Fighter Cleric is amazing! The minimum stats for your character are str 9, dex 2, con 12, int 3, wis 9, cha 1 making your roll that much more impressive.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    JDow said:

PK2748, why would you want to give up 19 strength for 18/00? :). I've always found non-fighters being able to go from 18 to 19 (or start with 19 if half-orc) one of the weirder things about the game - you'd think it would go from 18 to 18/50 or something. Also, when you give a halfling fighter with 17 strength the tome his strength goes to only 18 - you'd think it would go to 18/random.

Grum, hat off to you sir. Rolling 94 with 18/00 strength for a Dwarven Fighter Cleric is amazing! The minimum stats for your character are str 9, dex 2, con 12, int 3, wis 9, cha 1 making your roll that much more impressive.

Thank you! I actually waited until after I got through Durlag's Tower and did most exploration in the game before going to Candlekeep again. Just so that 18/00 could feel more useful. I'm just about to pick up that strength tome and am hesitating...

His current stats are:

Str: 18/00 (soon to be 19)
    Dex: 18
    Con: 20
    Int: 10 (soon to be 11)
    Wis: 21
    Cha: 13

Just two more tomes to pick up. By the time the saga ends, with equipment, he is going to look like this:

Str: 21 (with cleric ring)
    Con: 23 (with helmet of dumathoin)
    Int: 11
    Wis: 23
    Cha: 18 (With ring of human influence)

Plan is going to be spanning Righteous Magic. Will push his strength up to 25, and give him max damage while wielding the flail of ages. Throw in armor of faith, helm of dumathoin and defender of easthaven for defense, and he'll be a dwarf you don't want to mess with.
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
    Grum said:

Str: 21 (with cleric ring)
    Con: 23 (with helmet of dumathoin)
    Int: 11
    Wis: 23
    Cha: 18 (With ring of human influence)

wait.. how can you get 23 wisdom? There are only 3 wisdom tomes in the game...
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Not spoiling anything for you, but you can get 2 points of Wisdom throughout BG2.
    If you're a pure cleric you can get a 24 with the deck of many things
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    JDow said:

Actually, in official 2nd edition rules, ability score increases work rather differently. I'm doing this from the top of my head, so I could be slightly incorrect, but:

At 14 or lower, a wish or other effect that increases your ability score increases it by 1 point.

At 15 or higher (except 18 strength, see below), a wish or other effect that increases your ability score increases it by 0.1 point. This has no effect until you do it 10 times.

At 18 strength, increasing it increases it to 18/01.

At 18/01 to 18/90 strength, increasing it increases the exceptional strength value by 10.

At 18/91 to 18/99 strength, increasing it increases it to 18/00.

At 18/00, increasing it increases it to 19.

(I could be slightly off, but that's about what it was like.)
    Sorry to cut across here. I need your help (but no mods/hacks or anything wanted).

Remember my naturally rolled 101 Ranger/Cleric. Well, I've taken him through BG:EE and am near the end. I have given him all the tomes. But, stupidly, I missed the Wisdom tome under Candlekeep. Does anyone know how I can get back into Candlekeep (for a third time) to retrieve that tome?

Help much appreciated.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    JDow said:

Sorry to cut across here. I need your help (but no mods/hacks or anything wanted).

Remember my naturally rolled 101 Ranger/Cleric. Well, I've taken him through BG:EE and am near the end. I have given him all the tomes. But, stupidly, I missed the Wisdom tome under Candlekeep. Does anyone know how I can get back into Candlekeep (for a third time) to retrieve that tome?

Help much appreciated.

Sadly, you cannot. Luckily missing that one tome (out of the three in BG1) won't impact your character much.
  • yksimaltyksimalt Member Posts: 115
    Rolled past a 96. Aargh!

/A.
    Ouch. What race and class were you rolling?
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I tend to get lucky like that from time to time. One time I got REALLY lucky and rolled a 103-point fighter/mage with 18/00 STR! Then I rerolled...

*casts Facepaw Self*
  • alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
    You guys have got WAYYYY more patience than I.
    The highest roll I've ever gotten (that I remember) was a 95 with 18/76 STR for a dwarven defender. When I get an 88+ is when I usually call it quits. Oh, if you want to be able to stop on a good roll just say the numbers, in your head, as they come up.
  • yksimaltyksimalt Member Posts: 115
    I was going for a Cleric/Thief Gnome.

Teaming up with a friend who's rolled a grumpy Dwarven Defender.

P.s 103!!! I am surprised you are still in the forums. The shame would have killed me...

/A.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    Rolling high with a ranger (single or multiclass) is not difficult; the minimum stats are so high that 95+ is not a big problem. The 103 of Nimran with a fighter/mage (with 18/00!) is something that happens one in life... and then reroll;)
  • LordVemLordVem Member Posts: 28
    Got a 104 once on an elf ranger. Got bored of him really quickly and deleted the character. What a waste.
  • RideratRiderat Member Posts: 136
    edited September 2016
    @Ardul beginners luck.

I once rolled something around 96 for an elven or half elvish assassin. Good stuff. I used the pre-update poison mechanics and daym, i loved that character.

But I believe that once I managed to get above 100 for a Ranger/Cleric. It could be in IWD tho. Sad that you can't backup your saves on GoG, i could check it and give you the right numbers.
  • gmazcagmazca Member Posts: 60
    edited September 2016
    Rolled a 95 Kensai, dualed Druid. I rolled a 97 on my most recent Cavalier and a 92 on my Enchanter. Though, admittedly 97 isn't that impressive with a Paladin considering their minimum stats.

With my Enchanter I wanted to throw daggers and get up close with the Dagger of Venom when an enemy is stunned/CC'd, so I went with these stats.

Str: 18 (19 w/ tome)
    Dex: 18 (19)
    Con: 15 (16)
    Int:18 (19)
    Wis: 5 (8)
    Cha: 18 (19)

Being an Elf with charm and sleep resistance and being resilent to enchantment spells was the major draw to this character. Also the increased chance to affect the enemy with CC (shout out to Xan for inspiring this character). With tomes he should be quite formidable, and charming to boot. No wish spell for this guy though lol.