Skip to content

Halfling Slinger (Fighter)

2»

Comments

• JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Clerics gain 2 THAC0 every three levels, which actually makes them have better ending THAC0 than Rogues, odd enough. And certainly better than the squishy arcane casters.
  • JDowJDow Member Posts: 71
    Oh wow, good call @JumboWheat01 . I never noticed that before. I saw the step down every three levels and just assumed it was by 1, not 2. That's an unusual progression. So Cleric THAC0 jumps at 4, 7, etc. but lags for a bit until you hit those particular levels. But overall similar to thieves.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    JDow said:

@JumboWheat01, the sling is the natural (and only) ranged weapon of the Clerics. But their issue is they have caster THAC0 (only getting a THAC0 increment once every three levels). So as they level up they fall further behind fighters. As you say, there are spells to increase their accuracy, APR, and strength - which make a big difference (particularly for Priests of Lathander). But, the problem is that ranged characters can generally engage opponents immediately which means if you're casting 1, 2, or 3 spells to beef yourself up to maximum power you're missing out on shots. Naturally, with game balance, a cleric slinger won't be as good as a pure warrior slinger because a warrior is dedicated to fighting, while a cleric also serves as a caster.

@Artemius_I, yes barbarians are a good choice for a slinger, as you say good mobility, rage - and even rages -2 AC penalty isn't an issue for a ranged character (really). A good choice. But, they won't be as accurate as a Fighter who can Master the sling (+2 to hit, +1 damage) at level three. Rage won't increase a halflings saving throws - because they max out at 18 constitution I think - but obviously that's a non-issue because you get those wonderful immunities while in rage. Then, of course, you could even have a Half-Orc barbarian slinger - arguably better still because the rage immunities cover the half-orcs weakness of low saving throws.

@Raduziel, to me your comparisons seem a little unfair. I wouldn't give the tomes to a halfling slinger, because that makes no sense (there are no real benefits or doing so in BG:EE). I'd give them to the team members who will benefit the most from them. What I would give a halfling slinger is "the Gauntlets of Ogre Strength or Big Brawler Belt" as @PK2748 mentions - so his strength reaches 18/00 or 19. They are perfect for a halfling slinger. Basically, when making comparisons, you have to do so in a balanced way, but also a way that recognises that some items are optimal for some characters but not for others. In my team, I'd give the constitution tome to a melee fighter, because they're up front - so will take more damage. A slingers role is to sit back, so ideally they won't be taking the same amount of damage as one of your melee characters.

But taking the Brawler's hands (late) in BG1 keeps you from using the bracers of archery, which is a shame, really.
  • KramerTheWeirdKramerTheWeird Member Posts: 14
    I know we're talking about slings, but it seems silly to restrict any other race to them if they are a warrior class. Throwing axes, even daggers (firetooth) are more damaging considering their APR, yes? I guess then we can start talking about kensai throwers..

Even for a halfling warrior, I would prefer darts or short bows (look at Mazzy!) despite not getting a STR bonus. At least then you won't have to worry about STR boosting gear, which could go to your unoptimized companions instead.
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    Isn't there a +5 unlimited ammo sling though? In terms of gear and enemy resistance the sling is pretty much the best
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    PK2748 said:

Isn't there a +5 unlimited ammo sling though? In terms of gear and enemy resistance the sling is pretty much the best

Doesn't sling still do missile damage?
    Yes it does. That's one thing I like about later editions, slings are a bit of an odd duck being able to do ranged bludgeoning damage. Perfect for taking out skellies without getting too close to them.
  • KramerTheWeirdKramerTheWeird Member Posts: 14
    true, I didn't consider that every other projectile, even throwing axes and hammers, is piercing damage.
    I'm pretty sure Throwing Axes are Slashing in later editions and Hammers are Bludgeoning like Slings, but throwing weapons never struck me as common, cheap and cost effective as the all mighty sling and rocks.
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    By resistance I meant against magical weapons, in BG2 that sling hits everything where a magical throwing dagger or dart does not
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited September 2016
    This sling is a life saver against the Golems in Planar Sphere, D'Arnise Keep and Firkraag's Lair.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Raduziel said:

This sling is a life saver against the Golems in Planar Sphere, D'Arnise Keep and Firkraag's Lair.

The golems only need a +3 weapon at most and there are a few of those around (Crimson Dart, Tansheron's Bow, Azuredge) even ignoring +3 missiles. Clay golems are immune to missile damage though, so you need a different tactic for those.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Adamantine Golems went down with Everard's IIRC.

Or was Kangax?