Skip to content

The Problem With BG2

Comments

• NightingaleNightingale Member Posts: 61

And even worst that is one of the few timed quests of the game.
    But you don't have to do it every time, even if is forced to you the first not spoiled run of your life.
    And as it was the fist time the fact that you are forced into it is fine, also in RL sometimes happens, and you can also say "no thanks, find some other adventurer to help you, I have my friend Imoen to rescue and other things to do", thing that RP wise is very logical.
    But the way to avoid to be forced into it is very easy, in the area there is an awesome temple of the goddess of light, as you pass is very logical to step in and have a look, then you discover that there is also an exit in the south wall. That is the easy way to avoid the triggering of the religious squabble quest.
    And on the way back you have other 2 roads to exit the area.

Just tried your trick and it worked like a charm. You have just saved me hours of mental gymnastics, trying to rationalize why my CHARNAME would ignore the existence of a beholder cult until the end of chapter 2.

My friend, if I could give you 100 likes for that one comment, I would do it without hesitation. :)

• dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    It's hard for me to choose. I think the ultimate game is a combination of the two - the story and gameplay of BG2 with all the characters of BG1. I think there is a mod that does this, and even then, I imagine it would be fairly simple to implement them in game without too much work.
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    edited September 2016

I generally install one of the various mods (and there are a lot of them) that speed up banter/quest time. The timed quests are annoying, which I will definitely acknowledge (De'Arnise Keep stronghold and the Jaheira romance being the worst).

I, on the other hand, find BG to be a total slog- constant reloads due to character death, NPCs without dialogue unless you install mods, and wander all over creation to find some random minor villainous character that you didn't even know was there, but hey, you need the XP and items. BG2 feels much tighter to me in that regard- you mostly go places because someone told you to go there and you discover that something is wrong and fix it.

And have people dump your group if You don't spend the first 10 hours of the game chasing after what they want. I have an aversion to getting yanked around, but I get the world building logic of it all. You're basically shit in everyones eyes until you've put the boot to the iron throne a couple of times. Canonically, your character is 20 years of age and soft, and probably looks a lot like garricks BG1 portrait. In BGII some time later you're probably looking a bit more like Yoshimo, rougher and battle tested, and are no longer an unknown quantity to Amn. People know you as the hero of baldurs gate, or that person who got mixed up with a guy who made a big pile of rubble of the promenade, so the whole game is a bit of a theme park really.
  • RideratRiderat Member Posts: 136
    I will fall in the same box with the ones opting for BG2. First game for me is like a tutorial (or an introduction) for the real deal. The levels are low, you don't see your characters becoming poweful, you can run almost any party and still do the story (sidequests are a different thing). But in BG2, you experience the 'relative' freedom of choice. You can choose which factions to align with, aht quests to do. Your path is somehow uncertain and you flavor it with the sidequests of your companions, strongholds, factions etc.

But also, as someone mentioned, you can't simply start bg2 campaign without finishing the 1st game first. And by now it has become a chore for me. I started to cheat and use ctrl+j function to get trough the long and easy dungeons (Nashkel mines) or areas.

All in all, both games are gems and they are cool in their own special way. But daym, i love the character/party progression troughout the BG2/ToB.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @Riderat

Since when can't you start a new BG2 game without doing BG?
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @sazzie

First: welcome :)

Second: There are two mods that you may like

BG1 NPC Project and Keeping Yoshimo.
  • sazziesazzie Member Posts: 103
    @raduziel thank you!!

i prefer to steer clear of mods myself just coz im not confident messing with files but its worth noting in future should i change my mind. thank you :)
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    @sazzie Oh, modding is super-easy nowadays. Most if not all mods come with auto-install packages, you jut read a box and hit Y (yes) or I (install) to choose which component you want. Uninstalling is also the same.
    @lunar thats good to know :) do u have a link or a site where i can peruse all the options available?
  • jinxed75jinxed75 Member Posts: 157
    Raduziel said:

I know what many will say: just don't use those items.

Well, the problem is: those items are from the vanilla game. It's nothing I've added with mods to break the game. SoA-ToB itself lacks balance.

So what? It's still up to you to decide whether to buy and use these items or not. They are in the game to allow less proficient players who don't have profound knowledge of the game mechanics to deal with otherwise challenging encounters.

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Raduziel said:

Well, but I would like to ask you, fellow adventurer: is there something you don't like in BG2? If there is what is it?

Purple, spiky, ridiculous, ugly shields of abomination (medium shield). Whoever created and painted those sprites should get some kind of penalty.
    http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate2/armor/shields.html

That's it.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    sazzie said:

@lunar thats good to know :) do u have a link or a site where i can peruse all the options available?

Here's a good place to start:
    BG 2 compatible mods.
    @BillyYank thank you :smiley:
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Raduziel said:

@sazzie

I heard of this keep yoshimo mod, and i remembered that in BG we have a chance to get an remove geas scroll.

If we have a way to keep it (an 2° end way for that quest) the item could be importable to BG2:EE (just as the pantaloons are) and usable to break yoshi geas.
    kamuizin said:

Raduziel said:

@sazzie

I heard of this keep yoshimo mod, and i remembered that in BG we have a chance to get an remove geas scroll.

If we have a way to keep it (an 2° end way for that quest) the item could be importable to BG2:EE (just as the pantaloons are) and usable to break yoshi geas.
    omg! that would be awesome. it would, for me, provide the perfect thief option. i generally play good characters and to my knowledge hexxat is the only other pure thief but she leaves if my rep gets too high so im stuck with a dual or multiclass thief which doesnt suit my gameplay style.

i really hope it becomes a thing and for those who dont import it could be a quest reward along with money and gems so those that import it still got rewards
    sazzie said:

kamuizin said:

Raduziel said:

@sazzie

omg! that would be awesome. it would, for me, provide the perfect thief option. i generally play good characters and to my knowledge hexxat is the only other pure thief but she leaves if my rep gets too high so im stuck with a dual or multiclass thief which doesnt suit my gameplay style.

i really hope it becomes a thing and for those who dont import it could be a quest reward along with money and gems so those that import it still got rewards
    You can also have 2 made characters.

Create a multiplayer game, make 2 characters, one main char and one your thief. Start the game and save.

Go in your "?:/" directory -> users -> your user -> documents -> Baldur's Gate/Baldur's gate 2: Enhanced Edition -> mpsave. Copy your saved game there and paste it on the "save" folder in the previous directory.

ooohhhh @kamuizin that is so handy to know :D thank you!
    If you're using BG2EE, you don't even have to do that. Just click "Create Party" in the single player character creation screen and you can create more than one character without having to do the multiplayer stuff.
    edited October 2016
    Indeed @BillyYank, i was too focused on old school resources and didn't even noticed this new feature.

But take in mind @Sazzie, that most of the times you don't need an pure thief too high level to have the basics of the class. If you focus on Hide in shadows, move silently, pick locks and detect trap, the 4 principal thieves skills, you can reach that with lvl 12 more or less (if you take kits, know that skill points aren't 25 per level for most of them). There's even other items in the game that would raise your thieve skills.

If you don't mind suggestions, i would say that an shadowdancer 13/Cleric or fighter dual class would fit better in your party, swashbuckler 10/ fighter dual class also would be a good adition.

If you're not a fan of dual class, you can go for thief/fighter dwarven too, that has a strong foot to hold.
    @BillyYank does that option work if i wanted to import a BG character and create my own thief?

im sure this may have been answered elsewhere but if i needed to temporarily ditch that character can i get themk back later?
    Yes, you can import the characters individually from exported characters and save files. You could even make a party out of a bunch of charnames from different playthroughs.
    @BillyYank thank you! been playing for ages but never ever thought of that to 'get around' the lack of good thief issue haha.

what about removing them from the party temporarily? would they stay at the copper coronet or are they gone forever?
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    They are gone forever, unless you have a mod that allow the thing.
    I know which it is for not EE, but as I am new to EE don't know which one is used in it for the purpose.
    ahhh! thank you @gorgonzola. its something i will weigh up on my next play through
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Installing some mods when a play through is on is often a bad thing as many problems can rise, mainly when certain areas are already been entered in or some events that trigger timers and variables are already happened.
    But I am convinced that installing ONLY that component/mod should give no problem. A savegame right before installing it has to be done, and some testing immediately after installing is a wise thing, but there should be no problems.