Skip to content

Triple threat vs HLA's

alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
I have never taken a character all the way up into the glorious realm of HLA's. From what I've heard/read, a party of six will usually end up with around six million XP each.
Simple question -
Is getting as many HLA's as possible worth NOT multiclassing? If you think it's worth it vs. some multi combos and not others, please explain. A two-class character might get a couple HLA's. A triple-class, forget about it.
Of course this is NOT considering dual-class characters (that's a whole different kettle of monkeys) and assumes that the XP cap is in place.

Comments

• alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
    edited September 2016
    Oh, it's total, not per class?!
    Well, that changes things. Muchas gracias!
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

If I remember correctly, multi-class characters get HLAs when their TOTAL experience is over 3000000. They end up getting about as many HLAs as single-class characters.

although this is not the same for dual class characters, for a dual class character you wont get HLAs until your 2nd class reaches 3 000 000+ XP

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Multis tend to get more HLAs not less
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Have in mind, that triple-class characters won't get wizard-specific HLAs except for additional spells per level (not that the triple-class characters need these HLAs as they are powerful already ;)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Multiclass is love, multiclass is life
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028

Lies! Single class for life! Even if that single class happens to be Fighter.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I think about 90% of all my runthroughs are/were as a multiclass of some sort. The other 10%? Paladin.
  • alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380

Completely agree!
    My first run through BG1 in 16+ years was an elven F/M/T. Good times, good times.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I have a premade team where all 6 characters are different multi classes and they are all different races o.O
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864

Have in mind, that triple-class characters won't get wizard-specific HLAs except for additional spells per level (not that the triple-class characters need these HLAs as they are powerful already ;)

True, and this, at least in a FMT, is an advantage, as triple class are not supposed to be very high level arcane casters, they will never be, as they never reach the level to cast lev9 spells, and even if they could it would not be their best use (outside casting mislead and TS, and then multiple backstabbing everyone, thing that removes every challenge).
    As they don't have to focus on the mage HLAs they can get a lot of thief and fighter HLAs, assassination (in not EE they can even get more than one of them, I don't know if EE has fixed it), GWW, CS, Hardness and so on. And all those HLAs are the perfect complement for a FMT, are synergistic with the way that he is better played. Even better if there is also a bard in the party, because than the bard can focus on Spike Traps, while the FMT has regolar ones, allowing the FMT to focus more on the HLAs I mentioned before. In the end he will have almost the same number of "combat" HLAs than a single class fighter, as he needs only UAI, the 3 to get the bonus slots and maybe a Time Trap or 2. But he will have better combat HLAs than a fighter as some rogue ones are fantastic, assassination and the ones that boost AC and saving throws.

I had try the FMT with cap remover, that can get lev9 spells and, at least in not EE, all the mage HLAs, sure is powerful, but HLA wise is detrimental, as in the end he has less "combat" HLAs, much better to have a proper mage or a dual or multi something/mage wearing the robe and casting the lev9 spells and the FMT focusing on being what he is.

One more thing, not only focused on triple classes, but on multi in general. As at each level up he can chose which HLA he want, does not matter the class he is leveling up, he is very customizable. A F/M can chose to prioritize Mage ones or Fighter ones, or to do something in between, maybe taking a couple of GWW, than the important mage ones and finally adding GWWs and other combat ones.