Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Axis & Allies 1942 Online is now available in Early Access! Buy it on Steam. The FAQ is available.
New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Button order preference

2»

Comments

• ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,328
    Vanilla/1.3 (Done on the left, Cancel on the right)
    BillyYank said:

I think we should be keeping muscle memory in mind here. Anyone who's spent a lot of time working in Windows is naturally going move down and right when they're finished, whether they're planning to hit OK or Cancel. So if we're going to stick with the symmetrical buttons, I think the button to the right should be the one that's most likely to be the one the player wants to hit.

I'm a Windows user myself, and I'm much more inclined to reach for the left button, rather than the right. Yes, in Windows, the buttons are usually more to the right, but not always. Popups still have Yes/OK on the left and No/Cancel on the right, even though they're in the middle of the screen.

To me, it's not so much the general location of these buttons, but their position in regards to the other button(s).

• subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 11,223
    edited December 2016
    2.3 (Cancel on the left, Done on the right)
    The idea that Apple's or MS's convention was adopted for being "more natural" is ridiculous. White mouse pointer or black? Ctrl-C or Cmd-C? 'Done' on the left, or 'done' on the right? One company implemented one thing, and the other implemented it the other way so to claim that they weren't copying features. (When all both companies did for 2-3 decades was copy the good ideas of the other one.)

Those of you worrying about "but mah muscle memory!" lack persuasive credibility because you would happily set the UI to break someone else's muscle memory. Unless and until you can explain why you are a more important person (and man I would love to hear that... but in another thread), you need a better line of argument.

So let's forget computer conventions and think deeper. For most people who grew up reading most western languages, the bottom-right of a box/screen/text signifies finality. Thus, I suggest putting the "done" button at the bottom-right.

Skatan
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 1,869
    Hehe. That is funny because while I agree with your first statement, ui design says you look at the left box first so have that be the acceptance button.

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 2,765
    How about defining button order dynamically, depending on the detected platform or baldur.lua option? That should please (almost) everyone.

• qwerty123456qwerty123456 Member Posts: 67
    RIght, left... Just make sure Enter and Escape work.

cmk24
  • subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 11,223
    2.3 (Cancel on the left, Done on the right)
    lroumen said:

Hehe. That is funny because while I agree with your first statement, ui design says you look at the left box first so have that be the acceptance button.

See, that's a good argument. (Even though I'm on the other side as far as the end result.)
    argent77 said:

How about defining button order dynamically, depending on the detected platform or baldur.lua option? That should please (almost) everyone.

Sure, but seems like overkill. And what about iOS/Android... do they follow the OS X direction, since they are Unix-based OSes? That would be jarring to a lot of people with Windows PCs and iPads.

Why not just adopt a new, different standard? Put the buttons up and down instead of left and right? It's not like we lack for screen space these days, we're not forced to play in 640x480 anymore...

• tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,988
    Why "Done" and "Cancel"? Why not "I'm Outta Here"and "Fugeddaboutit"? And while we're at it, why North, South, East, and West? That's old fashioned.