Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• alice_ashpoolalice_ashpool Member Posts: 261
    with 85x Wand of Heavens
    I love LoB
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    edited February 2021
    Also, does anyone know what level the Dispel Magic from Bala's Axe is cast at? BG Wiki says it's at the caster's priest level, which effectively means that only shamans (along with rangers and paladins, to a lesser extent) can use it properly. I had hoped that my WS archer could use it to avoid the long kiting session with Sarevok, but testing seems to show it's as good as useless

Yes, Bala's axe casts priest dispel magic using the wielder's priest caster level. For a ranger at the BG1 cap, that's level 1. It's virtually useless.
    Now, if you can hit him with a dispelling arrow, that's a guaranteed dispel with no level check at all.
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,442
    jmerry wrote: »
    Yes, Bala's axe casts priest dispel magic using the wielder's priest caster level. For a ranger at the BG1 cap, that's level 1. It's virtually useless.
    Now, if you can hit him with a dispelling arrow, that's a guaranteed dispel with no level check at all.
    Yeah this is correct, I thought it ignored level, and testing it on Glaicus it Dispels him every hit. But doesn't seem to work against enemy mages like that.

The charm (not exactly, but close enough) effect on Glaicus has caster level 1. For a paladin or ranger, that's a virtually certain dispel. For a pure fighter, it might or might not work.
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited February 2021
    Ha, ha, ha @AvidGamerFan... thats funny... but on the other hand too much number crunching for me! :D

In my installation Wudei does no longer has Aerial Servant memorized... what a pity!

But we could add a very important ingredient for the WS challenge: Bombardier Beetles! Even though one stun will not be enough to take Sarevok down it will hurt him quite a lot.

Combining the Fire Shield with summon punching should be good enough for the kill - worked at least in my poverty runs as long as Dispel Magic was able to get rid of his Haste!

Still a lot of runs on the run - keep going! ;o)
    Post edited by Harpagornis on
    jmerry wrote: »
    Or else 14,000 Gold if sold at SS at 10cha/20rep - more with higher cha obviously.
    The prices you get for selling things don't depend on reputation and charisma. They only depend on the store's properties and how many of that item are in stock.

I'msure I've got better prices for items whit higher rep... but it seems I have been living in make believe land again!
    I restarted with Ivy the Elven Swashbuckler this time avoiding the Nymphitis of her last incarnation and again reaching Level 8 thanks to... cough... charming.... charming and... sure... some more charming using for instance one Basilisk to clear Mutamins Garden and the ones on Durlags Tower super fast. Pushed Pick Pocket to grab the Ring of Free Action and also managed to kill Drizzt after the Gnolls took him down 13 HP investing 2x Oil of Speed and 106 Arrows to clean the house. Ivy pushed reputation and with her new Longsword +2 (saving Icing Death +3 for off-hand use and some Fire Resi) she is now ready to roll the main quest line...

Yeah, this looked like a lot of fun @histamiini... surviving in a hostile environment with only a handful of supllies. The rest of SoA will be quite boring now... B)
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    histamiini wrote: »
    Stealth is probably now the number one ability for the Dungeon, because I don't know if any class can clear the dungeon without resting.

Shaman ...
    it allowed very easy leveling to 9/9 by the earliest point possible, which gives me the extra thac0, 2nd pip in flails for Martyr's Morningstar on Bel

Have you got a mod which makes this effective on him? Normally it's only of use now to classes with arcane ability who can enchant it to +3.
    Grond0 wrote: »
    it allowed very easy leveling to 9/9 by the earliest point possible, which gives me the extra thac0, 2nd pip in flails for Martyr's Morningstar on Bel

Have you got a mod which makes this effective on him? Normally it's only of use now to classes with arcane ability who can enchant it to +3.
    Oh dear, or course I can't cast enchant weapon can I, and its only +2, not +3. Hopefully its possible to do with *checks wiki* sundermaul and blazing glory + potions and champions strength and durlag's. idk, my lack of knowledge of SoD is showing.

Oh dear, or course I can't cast enchant weapon can I, and its only +2, not +3. Hopefully its possible to do with *checks wiki* sundermaul and blazing glory + potions and champions strength and durlag's. idk, my lack of knowledge of SoD is showing.

I really hate to rain on your parade again, but I'm pretty sure that the chest with Sundermaul can't be opened even with strength 25. The good news though is that you do still have a choice of weapons (I quite often make use of the Root of the Problem club) and Champion's Strength does allow you to hit Belhifet where it hurts :p.
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,442
    edited February 2021
    histamiini wrote: »
    Stealth is probably now the number one ability for the Dungeon, because I don't know if any class can clear the dungeon without resting.

Shaman ...
    Well I know nothing about Shaman's, as it's the only class with Druid's I've never tried. :)

@alice_ashpool Also do note if you plan to get Blazing Glory +3, you can't wait in the Dragonspear Castle attacks for potions, as the lady (whos name I've forgotten) will get killed eventually.
    a club...
    the Kneecapper Hammer!

will that work? because I have that, and its +4 vs giant humanoids... does that include bel? because if so, cool.
    edited February 2021
    @alice_ashpool: It will work - trust me! B)
    Full disclosure: my SCS settings do not allow Imprisonment (or, in the case of demiliches, Trap the Soul) to be cast on protagonists, effectively making solo players immune to it. This is because, with high level spellcasters being much more common, I don't think it's fair for them to have an attack that some classes have extremely limited methods of blocking. Of course, Angelo could have just used Spell Immunity: Abjuration, so this isn't particularly relevant.

Also, spellcasting demiliches don't use Trap the Soul at all. Well, Kangaxx can use it on random bystanders if you let him reach the surface, but he won't ever use it on party members - it's just not there in the modified AI. Imprisonment is still a possibility, but only the standard mage version that he has to spend spell slots on.