Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,437
    edited February 2021
    @alice_ashpool The worst part with the 90+ locked chests are the class spefic items. Series is littered with bad decisions like that. Cleric's can't get Sundermaul +3, Archers can't get +3 Arrows for Bel and Monks can't get the Monk specific gear in ToB... :D
  • alice_ashpoolalice_ashpool Member Posts: 261
    edited February 2021
    histamiini wrote: »
    If you don't use PfU you can also slow Sarevok down with the Skeleton Warriors. And get more time to hit him that way.
    I think I tried messing around with the skellies, but maybe I was just getting the timings completely wrong but I just couldn't pull it off reliably enough so popped the PfU scroll at that point and did stealth, then another one, then just dealt with the hostile skeletons wandering around a whole 4 hours of in game time later making stealthiness even harder xd). The stealth approach worked though, so I guess 2 (mildly alternate) ways for the monk to complete sarevok. My only worry is that stealth provides some really nice crutch-y utility in BG1 for the monk, but it means Anastasia will not have high level in Detect Illusion any time soon, which may well be an issue for Bel.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    I think Belhifet is able to use improved invisibility at will, so detect illusion would probably not be much use for a monk - you might have slightly more time to hit him while fully visible, but he would also be more often totally invisible when you couldn't hit him, but he could easily hit you ...
    edited February 2021
    Yeah Bel will disappear casting Improved Invisibility if you dispel it, so Detect Illusion shouldn't be used early when you still have great Thac0 from Champion's Strengths. But when those start to fail +4 AC can help to get those last few hits.
  • XDarkStrikerXXDarkStrikerX Member Posts: 102
    edited February 2021
    He is, i'm far from being a monk expert but i'd say that the best weapon for a monk against Belhifet would probably be the Fractal Blade, so short swords. 50% chance to dispel illusions on hit, so that should happen pretty often, with 10% chance of mirror image when hit. With the short sword +3 from the undercellar or single weapon style, i think it should work pretty well with potions and champion strength scrolls that i think monks can use. Not sure if The Root of the Problem, which you can get from the SoD druids would add some more punch to that setup as an off-hand.
    edited February 2021
    Well double post... looks like it didn't completely delete after all.
    Post edited by XDarkStrikerX on
    Then Simulacrum cast PFM on the lich
    Is this a difference between BG1 and BG2 or an SCS install thing? - In my BG1 install PfM scrolls are forced auto-target on self for me, not sure if this is default or part of SCS doing this, and if it changes between BG1 and 2.
    edited February 2021
    @alice_ashpool It's a BG2 change. In BG1 they're self cast only but in BG2 you can actually use them on enemies or a different party member, or even summons making them great dispel tools or untouchable fighters if needed.

What SCS changes by default is removing the simulacrum ability to use quickslots. It also changes many other core mecanism like making Harm do 150 damage instead of reducing HP to 1, or capping skull trap to 12d6, or as i discovered recently, added scrolls to some shops. I'm not a fan of any of those changes as i just want smarter AI and more challenging fights. I wouldn't install any of them but some options seem required to successfully install smarter mages and some ToB challenges.

Edit not related to scrolls: looks like i miscounted deaths. Had 3 prior to twisted rune not 2. Too scared to edit it on the actual post as it made it bug and deleted it on a previous post, i don't feel like rewriting this :sweat_smile: .
    edited February 2021
    @XDarkStrikerX interesting! I haven't played BG2 properly for years, I like BG1 too much, and forget what differences there are. I currently have about half the gameplay tweaks installed and lose track of what does what - I think I have actually been uninstalling them them gradually, though there are some nice ones I will keep. IWD spells are a keeper though, so fun.
    @alice_ashpool IWD spells are the next step for me. I'm even thinking of an old school Ranger/Cleric with the druid spells enabled for my next run. I never played IWD yet but i've read that apparently the new cleric and druid spells are amazing and super fun to use.

I also love BG1 more than BG2. While i really love both, i think i did around 10 times more playthroughs on BG1. I'm also the kind of person that prefer starting from scratch than already half leveled.
    A little very positive update on my test considering the Rift Device. Indeed, Roger the fence can pickpocket it from you and you can make him attack you to drag him out of the sewers, then kill him to retrieve it. Just make sure to drop all your stuff first in a chest if you don't want this to take forever as he will pickpocket anything and also make sure that nobody sees you fighting as they will turn hostile (lured him to guarded compound), drop your charming item on the ground so he doesn't take it, in case you need to charm him again. This usually makes the quest impossible to complete. However, i don't know if this is known, but i have found a way to actually keep the rift device AND complete the quest, just make sure you stash it somewhere if you have to go back into the sewers unless you want to explode:

1-Talk to the diseased one with the rift device in your inventory.
    2-Once inside, there will be a small pause before the avatar can spawn, open your inventory as soon as he stop talking and drop the rift device on the ground.
    3-Avatar will spawn in give you the 50k xp + shield reward, rift device will stay on the ground.
    4-Smuggle it out using Roger the Fence, which i charmed with the ring of human influence, nymph cloak will also work to not aggro him.
    5-Kill Roger, enjoy your ranged Harm spell (well 10% hp but still amazing). Even more useful if you didn't disable clone quick slots.

I'm not planning to abuse it but it can definitely make the life of many characters much easier. Still, another tool in my backpack.

jvwtlv0yrvjy.png
    tuc57mppd24y.png
    edited February 2021
    @XDarkStrikerX One tactic to make Twisted Rune easier at the beginning is to use PfU, then pass the doorway and return quickly, which will only spawn the Lich. Then you can casually range it, and others are only spawned after the Lich is killed.
    @histamini just tried it with firetooth crossbow. Pre-buffed with mind focus for 25 dex, potion of heroism and oil of speed and could hit him with a roll of 10 and above for a quick kill at -1 thac0 without a pip in any ranged weapon. Spammed WoCK a few time at near death, then when they spawned used mislead to WoCK the mage. Got the staff, finished everybody in less than 2 minutes of cloudkill kiting with the staff... Got it first try and it made the whole thing incredibly easy... I should have asked you first! :lol:
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    So many tactics posted here that it looks like the whole challenge is transforming into a peaceful walk in the park. Not good, not good! B)

I have updated two curses that should give Cataclysm just a little bit more punch even though @histamiini will still complain about them for sure. :D

Arvoreen:
    The inventory may be accessed during combat only to use consumables. Duplicates of any kind cannot use quick slot items

Chauntea:
    No XP farming except for charname who dual classes after reaching at least 3 million XP´s
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    As i wrote the new rules @histamiini posted his Gauth XP farming... no, no, no! You are cursed forever now! B)

Should have posted it yesterday... my own fault...! :D
    @Harpagornis I think both curse additions are fine, make sense.

And I'm fairly sure Chauntea can't hurt me retroactively, that's not how laws work. B)

@histamiini i'm amazed how easy you make it look. I just beaten Kangaxx after an hour of trying at 14/14, was about to wait until after underdark, but finally managed to kill the demi-lich with fire elementals+daystar as MoD+2 wasn't destroying him and i couldn't hit except on crit.

2 questions for my futur runs (as i'm not redoing it right now... no way :lol: ):

-How can you transform Kangaxx into a demi-lich after using PfU on him? He seems to stay at near death forever for me.

-Does the WoW petrification effect has any chance to stone items?
    edited February 2021
    @XDarkStrikerX Well Wand of Wonder is the real champion here, I don't know if the devs even realized how powerful item they created. Although without this ability it would be useless like many items in LoB. Easily rivals Staff of Magi in usefulness.

You have to wait PfU out if you use it on Kangaxx. SCS casting is based on nearness, so ranged attacks usually don't provoke the subjects if they don't see you. As in here I didn't use PfU on Kangaxx, but on miself, and just ranged the Lich casually transforming him. This is also the reason why Azuredge is better than MoD in SCS, because it allows ranged attack.

The same applies to his Demi form, as it doesn't move or activate if you don't get close, and WoW allows a distance kill.

I've no idea about Pertification destroying items with gore on, I would imagine so, but would have to test it out. I'm sure @Grond0 knows the answer straight away. Without gore on, there's no chance of destroying any items.
    @histamiini very interesting. If only i knew that the demi-lich was going to be immune to destroy undead... :cry: at least the most troublesome are done now! (except the watcher's keep lich). Will definitely take axe proficiency for future runs then. I didn't think that i would learn so much doing a run like this, it's so fun so far. Don't be surprised if i'm in need of assistance for ascension fights :lol:
    @XDarkStrikerX There's also one other Lich in WK if you want to do it, and one in Sendai Enclave. Although not anywhere near as potent as the WK Demi Lich which... well good luck with that one. ;)
    edited February 2021
    After reading some stuff back I was interested why the Mind Flayers weren't targeting Lord in the sewers. And after testing it out, it was because of Sanctuary. There's a difference for using Invisibility or Sanctuary against SCS Mind Flayers. With Invisibility they'll still use their ranged attacks, but with Sanctuary they mostly seem to wonder around, only getting close they'll try to melee.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    histamiini wrote: »
    @XDarkStrikerX Well Wand of Wonder is the real champion here, I don't know if the devs even realized how powerful item they created. Although without this ability it would be useless like many items in LoB. Easily rivals Staff of Magi in usefulness.

You have to wait PfU out if you use it on Kangaxx. SCS casting is based on nearness, so ranged attacks usually don't provoke the subjects if they don't see you. As in here I didn't use PfU on Kangaxx, but on miself, and just ranged the Lich casually transforming him. This is also the reason why Azuredge is better than MoD in SCS, because it allows ranged attack.

The same applies to his Demi form, as it doesn't move or activate if you don't get close, and WoW allows a distance kill.

I've no idea about Pertification destroying items with gore on, I would imagine so, but would have to test it out. I'm sure @Grond0 knows the answer straight away. Without gore on, there's no chance of destroying any items.

When a stone statue is destroyed it will destroy any normal items, but not those flagged as essential by the game. It's possible the Ring of Gaxx falls into that category as it's a quest item, but it's not something I've tried.

Incidentally, Kangaxx's initial lich form is immune to petrification, so the WoW won't help you trigger a change.