Skip to content

What do you think about this custom kit?

MadcapQMadcapQ Member Posts: 4
I made a pretty fun solo-oriented backstabbing bard kit a few years ago. Currently, it's partly dependent on the Rogue Rebalancing mod for a couple of HLAs, but that can change easily. I don't have any intention of being an active modder, but this is a pretty fun kit to play, so I figured I'd make this post to see if there's any interest in its release.

I'm curious about whether or not you think the kit is too powerful/not powerful enough, issues you perceive, etc. Though, honestly, I doubt I'll be making many/any changes aside from possibly using vanilla HLAs in place of the Rogue Rebalancing ones - mostly because I don't really remember how haha.

Also, I don't have the Enhanced Edition, so I don't know if there are compatibility issues with mods made with the original version or not. It's a WeiDU mod that doesn't make any exe hacks, so it should be ok, yeah?

Description
Madcap: Most Madcaps are failures who were never talented enough to master their craft as Bards. For some, the realization that they may never be able to satiate their lust for adoration and fame has driven them mad. Others are simply jaded and unempathetic - they'll do anything for a coin, regardless of who gets hurt along the way. If they can't be famous, they'll happily settle for being infamous.

Though they prefer quietly disemboweling their opponents with the help of their illusory magic, Madcaps can still be quite deadly with short blades, daggers, and even darts. They restrict their magical studies to the schools of Abjuration, Alteration, Enchantment, and Illusion as those tend to be the most useful in martial combat.

For Bards, Madcaps are uncharacteristically anti-social. They prefer to avoid taverns and inns (where many adventurers congregate and relate their tales of battle), leaving their knowledge of lore lacking. And since it's generally easier to kill a mark than it is to subtly relieve one of his belongings, they make for terrible pickpockets.

Due to their past traumatic experiences as Bards, Madcaps are notoriously shy; rarely, when under extreme duress, they will reflexively vanish into the shadows to escape their tormentors. However, some Madcaps are so attuned to their powers of illusion that they are able to mislead those around them into believing that they are standing in one place, when they're actually preparing to strike from another.

Rather than singing, Madcaps hum a gravelly, low-pitched, and highly disturbing tune like splintering bone against sharp rocks - the listener may not even be aware the "song" is originating from a person. For those who are unfortunate enough to cross paths with a Madcap, it will often be the last thing they ever hear.

Advantages/Disadvantages
Advantages:
- Madcaps have a 5% chance of turning invisible for four rounds whenever they drop below 25% health. At level 24, this effect is replaced with a weaker version of Mislead. This effect may be interrupted.
- Gains 1 level of backstab every 7 levels up to x4 at level 21.
- The original Bard Song is replaced by one that increases backstab level by 1. The Madcap's Bard Song also increases damage by 1 for every 7 levels of the Madcap. Additionally, starting at level 7, the Madcap's Bard Song has a 5% chance to dispel the invisibility of every creature (including party members) within 8 feet of the Madcap. This chance increases by 5% with each level, up to 100% at level 26.
- Can specialize in Short Blades, Daggers, and Darts. Can achieve maximum proficiency in Two-Weapon Style.
- Can memorize one extra spell per spell level.

Disadvantages:
- -4 to Charisma
- Pick Pockets never improves.
- Gains 3 lore per level, rather than 10 as most other bards.
- Bard Song benefits only affect the Madcap. Party members, excluding the Madcap, can be affected by Bard Song's dispel invisibility. This can be prevented by any effects that make a creature immune to Divination spells.
- Cannot learn spells from the Conjuration, Divination, Evocation, and Necromancy schools of magic.
- Cannot achieve proficiency in any non-bladed weapons (excluding darts).

HLAs
Use Any Item
Hastened Casting
Mad Spin (Offensive Spin that lasts only 2 rounds and has no to-hit or damage bonus)
Resonating Weapon (Rogue Rebalancing mod)
Sound Barrier (Rogue Rebalancing mod)
Scribe Scrolls (Rogue Rebalancing mod version)
Alchemy (Rogue Rebalancing mod version)
Assassination
Extra Level 4 Spell
Extra Level 6 Spell
Improved Ambidexterity
Post edited by MadcapQ on

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    This seems like a perfectly balanced kit. It's stronger than the Jester kit and weaker than a Skald, Blade, or unkitted bard. It's a very interesting thief/bard hybrid, and the backstabbing is well-balanced by the lack of stealth to set up backstabs.
  • MadcapQMadcapQ Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2016

This seems like a perfectly balanced kit. It's stronger than the Jester kit and weaker than a Skald, Blade, or unkitted bard. It's a very interesting thief/bard hybrid, and the backstabbing is well-balanced by the lack of stealth to set up backstabs.

Hey, thanks for the feedback! I feel pretty much the same, leaning towards it being perhaps a bit on the powerful side.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

The Jester kit is super strong, the thing is that nobody knows how to play around it. The best strategy is to turn the Jester invisible and have him sing that way (if you have RR it might not work).