Skip to content

What disappoint you in BG2 romances?

For me it's the whole pregnancy thing, because it's way too stupid.
In my opinion, the girl you romance shouldn't follow you in ToB.

Because you don't put a pregnant woman in the middle of a damn war.
This is not logic at all.

In my opinion the best way to please gamers and common sense would have be (let's say you have Aerie) :

1- first of all you make Aerie stay in a safe place for 9 months. Like in the elf city of SoA.

2- you do ToB, and kill 3 of the 5 baalspawn.

3- when all you have to do is only kill Baltazar + Sendai or Abazigal, a cutscene plays.

4- in the cutscene first of all you learn that 10 months passed since when you started ToB. Then Aerie comes, telling you that your son/daughter is born but left for safety in the elf city.

Then, like the good wife she is, she force-join your party and you can't kick her out anymore. Obviously in the 10 month that she passed among the elves, Aerie trained her magic and priest spells.

Meaning that she get the level of charname + all her SoA equipments + a bonus that should make you more happy to have her in your party as a companion forced on you by the romance plot. (that bonus could be a animal or familiar..)
DJKajurumashedtaters

Comments

• unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    parts 2-4 are just bad ideas. I don't recall any baby until after SoA though which might mean a long holiday in the elf city or wherever.

I like Aerie. I think she's a bit like Daenarys Targareyns first couple of seasons of game of thrones really except without the army or tendencies to extreme vengeance. Which are both fairly big differences, don't get me wrong.
  • MasterteoMasterteo Member Posts: 111
    Baby comes during ToB, and that's stupid. Because it means that Aerie, like and romanceable girl , was fighting along you while pregnant. And delivered also a baby.

Not logic at all.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    Who romances Aerie anyway? ;) Anomen is everything!
    RavenslightKuronamashedtatersCrevsDaak
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918
    If you resurrected Aerie, the baby would be fine. That is why I Wanted to try playing a Female this time @JuliusBorisov I have never romanced Anomen and I want to see his story.
    JuliusBorisovRavenslight
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918
    Papa_Lou said:

I've yet to romance Aerie, but I romanced Neera recently, and will find it very difficult to not take her along on every single playthrough now.

Help.

Aerie's romance was good. I'm not that very picky. Try her out.
    ThacoBellGirewangorgonzola
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    edited November 2016
    Kurona said:

Anomen's romance gets a lot more flak than it deserves. So does Anomen actually, he's one of the most developped party members in BG2 but people seem to have an irrational hatred for him. This extend to modders as well, they always transform him into a sick caricature of himself :(

Should you listen back-to-back all his dialogs and interactions with other companions, you might find that hatred is not that irrational. There are enough reasons to it: he is very unfriendly to anyone (and not in a funny way, as Edwin or Korgain), pompous, self-centered, likes to brag and belittles others. Here comes dislike from male-CHARNAMES.
    For girls being the only LI is crime enough, but being the only LI AND to have a romance so dry (IMHO - quite badly too) written does not help either (sorry, Mr. Gaider, I know he was the first one, and Alistair, who obviously came out of that experience is brilliant, so you needed that experience and I am glad you had it).

I'd say many modders only follow the trend.

As for other romances, the only one I have problem with is Jaheira's romance. Just can not justify it's existence.
    mashedtaters
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Well, speaking as a girl the first impression I had of Anomen was some sort of puppy who relieves himself all over your house but who you just can't bring yourself to kick out because he's just too pitiful. His quest and romance track changed my opinion of him for the better though.

On the other hand I absolutely can't stand Alistair and take sadistic pleasure in doing terrible things to him. Everything's a matter of taste I suppose.

In all fairness, I'm not that fond of BioWare romances in general.
    gorgonzolamashedtaters
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    Mirandel said:

Kurona said:

Anomen's romance gets a lot more flak than it deserves. So does Anomen actually, he's one of the most developped party members in BG2 but people seem to have an irrational hatred for him. This extend to modders as well, they always transform him into a sick caricature of himself :(

Should you listen back-to-back all his dialogs and interactions with other companions, you might find that hatred is not that irrational. There are enough reasons to it: he is very unfriendly to anyone (and not in a funny way, as Edwin or Korgain), pompous, self-centered, likes to brag and belittles others. Here comes dislike from male-CHARNAMES.
    For girls being the only LI is crime enough, but being the only LI AND to have a romance so dry (IMHO - quite badly too) written does not help either (sorry, Mr. Gaider, I know he was the first one, and Alistair, who obviously came out of that experience is brilliant, so you needed that experience and I am glad you had it).

I'd say many modders only follow the trend.

As for other romances, the only one I have problem with is Jaheira's romance. Just can not justify it's existence.
    I think Anomen can kind of relate to the bhaalspawn in a way. his dad might'nt have been a god, but that didn't stop him from ruining his whole life and been a fairly poor influence.

He doesn't suddenly become everyones best friend after getting knighted though. He still mocks haers fighting capabilities, and dislikes sarevok for been sarevok for starters, but he doesn't yell quite so much.
    Ravenslightmashedtaters
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864

after getting knighted though. He still mocks haers fighting capabilities

His Wis goes from 12 to 16, but his INT stay at the initial 10 :smiley:
    A couple of points of INT more and he would have known, like every intelligent person perfectly knows, that Blade>F->C :wink:
    I am only joking, they are both fantastic and the fighter that dual at 7 is usually under leveled as fighter, but with the final clerical thac0 and the buffs that can use a fighter dualed at 7 to cleric has plenty of thac0 even in end game and is as good as a pure class cleric in casting.

mashedtaters
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    I think it would be interesting if, with the Aerie romance, the baby could actually do something other than just being a useless inventory item. It might add an interesting element to the game if there were a way for it to magically age to the point of being a functional character of some sort too. Or maybe if there is a Baldur's Gate 3 Aerie's child could be an NPC or the PC in the next game could actually be Aerie's child from BG2.

I've played the Aerie romance, but I much prefer Viconia. I found the epilogue to the Viconia romance extremely disappointing and also nonsensical considering that curing poison has been one of easiest things to do for most of the game and I usually have her wear a ring that gives her protection from poison anyway. I think it would be nice if there were some way to have a better epilogue result while romancing Viconia. This could either be by doing quests differently in BG2 or as an option to somehow save her in BG3.

Also, being able to have a baby with Viconia in game might be interesting provided that the baby could actually do something and/or have interesting dialogue associated with it. Maybe the drow in Sendai's enclave could react in some way to seeing a baby of half-drow and half Bhaalspawn heritage.

For that matter, it seems as though the issue of Bhaal's essence in the baby should be addressed in the epilogue in some way. Maybe it is with Aerie's and I just can't remember since it has been a long time since I played it.
    Ardulmashedtaters
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    I just find the whole Aerie romance and then to have a baby a bit strange.
    Not sure what the developers were thinking.

She's an emotionallly scarred wreck and then she gets up the duff?
    After what, a couple of months?
    Now there's a relationship that ain't going to last, Charname would be grabbing that offer of Godhood with both hands.
    mashedtaters

I just find the whole Aerie romance and then to have a baby a bit strange.

Maybe it's because I also play the Sims games, but I like the idea of a game that lasts for multiple generations. I agree that the current situation with Aerie's baby isn't good though. It isn't really all that interesting to just have a useless inventory item. It would be far better, in my opinion, if the baby could actually do something, or turn into something, or could have quests associated with it. Maybe it could get kidnapped and need to be rescued? Or maybe it could get stuck in a time dilation field (or whatever it's called) and suddenly be the same age as charname and also be resentful for being abandoned there, or something.

• xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    edited November 2016
    @Masterteo: Do we have knowledge about how long an avariel's pregnancy lasts? Their lifespan, at least, is very different from a human's.

@Masterteo: Do we have knowledge about how long an avariel's pregnancy lasts? Their lifespan, at least, is very different from a human's.

For what i care, it could last 5 days or 12 months. The point is that it's illogical and stupid even only thinking that a pregnant woman could and would go fighting in a war. Like your romance partner do in ToB.

It's logic only in a cartoon. Nothing more than that.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    @Masterteo: I have to say I'm more inclined to agree with what @ThacoBell says above. Given that Aerie is perfectly capable of raising people from the dead and so on, I don't think the pregnancy issue is, in fact, an issue at all, at this point.
    mashedtaters
    ThacoBell said:

Well, considering that at that point the child's mother is an epic level cleric, there really isn't much that can threaten the child at that point. A point can also be made that Aerie has been with charname for so long that The Five know about her. Leaving her alone could be more dangerous than having support from the rest of the party.

@Masterteo: I have to say I'm more inclined to agree with what @ThacoBell says above. Given that Aerie is perfectly capable of raising people from the dead and so on, I don't think the pregnancy issue is, in fact, an issue at all, at this point.

So, first of all being pregnant is not a taxing condition, now i get it. It's obvious that during her pregnancy she is completely able to follow charname and fight in the war of the Bhaalspawn. (Because she is pregnant during ToB storyline, you know).

And yes, after the pregnancy she has no problem to put his baby under costant threat of death. Because she is an epic level cleric that can raise her dead baby all the times that she desires. She is such a sweet and caring mother.

I'm starting to think that this is not the right place to try to apply logic...i think i will slowly back away.

• UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @Masterteo

"I'm starting to think that this is not the right place to try to apply logic...i think i will slowly back away. "

Yep, probably best to.
    It's a silly story/plot idea thought up by people who actually gave it as little thought as humanly possible but thought it would "play" in a "neat" way.
    "Look guys, we can put the baby in the inventory".
    Gallowglassmashedtatersprofanitywarning
    Another disappointing romance in BG2 was Phaere. I felt sorry for her since it seemed obvious that she didn't really want Solaufein dead and only ordered it to keep from being subjected to brutal magical torture again. I wish there had been a way to somehow save her. I actually tried to do that numerous times, but there didn't seem to be a way no matter what I did.

A funny/interesting plot twist would be if she somehow did survive and showed up in Throne of Bhaal with charname's child right when things were getting serious with whichever NPC charname was in a romance with at that time.
    JohnSmith921030mashedtatersprofanitywarning