Skip to content

Favorite Joinable Thief in the BG series?

LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
It's time for another fun poll! This time, let's see which rogues you guys like the best!
  1. Favorite Joinable Thief in the BG series?145 votes
    1. Imoen
      40.69%
    2. Alora
        1.38%
    3. Coran
        8.97%
    4. Safana
        5.52%
    5. Skie
        2.07%
    6. Montaron
      10.34%
    7. Tiax
        2.76%
    8. Nalia
        0.00%
    9. Jan Jansen
      20.00%
    10. Yoshimo
        8.28%

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    @Shandyr
    Yeah probably
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    Tough choice. I picked Jan since I like Imoen because who she is, as my half-sister. Not as a thief. I actually find her skill a bit lacking. Jan on the other hand... Well, this reminds me of my second cousin, when we spent a whole long day in his turnip garden, and we were all sweaty from the work. He said to me "my friend, if you want a good turnip, it needs to satisfy all your needs as a turnip. But since those are not much, it's better if it's a multi-veggie turnip, like a turnip/cabbage, so you can make both a soup and a stew from it." Actually I thought he wasn't making any sense, but there you go.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Monty warrants my attention in this poll.

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!
  • GM1984GM1984 Member Posts: 14
    Imoen can handle any situation in both games and her mage skills are a big plus point in BG2. Nalia's probably the most useless thief in the series. Yoshimo's a good character, to bad you can't keep him.
  • BeetleBeetle Member Posts: 46
    Imoen is first, but Alora would be a close second if she wasn't encountered so late in the game (barring mods).
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Shandyr said:

Are you going to make a poll like this about each class?

On topic: I choose Imoen. Her skills are good enough for me but I choose her more out of roleplaying reasons.

wait for the: Favourite joinable hamster? poll :p
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Honorary mentions to Jan and Yoshimo. Jan for being a very well-written character, so much so that I've never felt a need to flesh him out with mod content, nor ran into any mod that actually seemed to improve him.
    Yoshimo for the interesting twist scenario he partakes in, his general demeanour that is pleasant but doesn't become repetitive or over the top, and because of his friendship mod that in a good way brings out how pained he is about the whole thing.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2012
    Really, really tough choice. I chose Montaron because I enjoy his personality, + he is a blast to play from his stats, race, and of course class. I really, really love Safana because I think she's funny and sexy. Finally Coran, for an amusing personality, pleasant voice set, being a fighter/thief, and that 20 Dexterity is just too awesome. That said, his melee abilities are slightly lacking so that's why I voted Monty, he's a bit more versatile.
    tilly said:

Ha, never thought of Nalia as a thief. :)

This. Technically though, LadyEibhilinRhett has to include her ... I'm sure someone would get buttmad if she didn't.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    for bear lols
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    I like Skie, weirdly. She's not exactly prepared for adventuring but actually turns out to be pretty good at it with her decent stats. Alora is good too.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2012
    Well, as much as I like Imoen, Jan does everything better. Bonus spell slot per level, higher backstab multiplier, more traps, thief and mage HLAs. Imoen's thief abilities in BG2 are far lower than they should be for a level 7 thief, and also she is far weaker than she would be if she was a swashbuckler / mage (I actually use a mod that turns her into a 10 swashbuckler / 11 mage ... So it blasts through Irenicus' dungeon, but when you rescue her she still has pathetically low levels).

And that's another problem, her levels after being rescued don't match yours.

Jan is actually the only thief NPC that can get thief HLAs and backstab in BG2, Yoshimo dies, Imoen is capped at level 7, and Nalia can't even disarm traps / open locks good enough as she is just one thief level short for being capable enough if all her points were put in traps and locks.
    Lol, people picking based solely on the strength of the character. Laaaame.
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    Was tempted to pick Coran but Safana is so much fun, especially when paired with Coran and Garrick :).
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    I usualy play as a thief, so I don't need anymore of those... But, when I do, I take Imoen.
    edited November 2012
    Quartz said:

Lol, people picking based solely on the strength of the character. Laaaame.

But that's one of the reasons why you picked montaron and coran?

If there was a minimum stat NPC rogue with 9 dex and less in every other stat would you pick it?

One of the biggest parts about BG2 is getting high level abilities , and only multi, single / second class thieves can do this. Actually both monty and coran if they were available in BG2 would be fine, but honestly, Nalia is 100% incapable as a thief and cannot open most locks nor disarm every trap regardless of anything else about her character. Imoen also doesn't have sufficient rogue skills without wasting gear slots to boost it, and yoshimo dies.

Its nothing to do with strength of the character, once you get into BG2, the only thief that's available that is reliable through the entire game is Jan Jansen. I stopped using Yoshimo purely because he betrays you and then dies or something, and if you want use any item / craft potions / craft scrolls and backstabbing in BG2, then you absolutely have to pick up Jan because no one else in the game can do that.

In BG1 I've only ever used Imoen.

Also the same reason for why Viccy and Edwin are the top rated cleric and mage in the game in the other polls is purely because they are much more powerful at their roles than other characters.

• LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    I picked Alora because she is adorable and awesome and I knew no one else would vote for her ):
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    I voted Monteron, as he's a more powerful backstabber than the pure class thieves, but Imoen would be close second. Its a shame the little fella is not in BG2
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    edited November 2012
    DELETED - Miss-post
    Post edited by Oxford_Guy on
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    Probably Yoshimo, but I use thieves so infrequently that it's really hard to say. I can't remember when the last time I had one in my party was.
    I think the main reason for not using thieves in BG2 is the complete lack of them. High level bounty hunters and assassins get some amazing tricks, but unless you play one yourself you never get to discover what the class is capable of.
  • waardeniuswaardenius Member Posts: 58
    edited November 2012
    Montaron. Look up the word "badass" in your dictionary, and you're sure to find his picture right next to the definition.

Honurable mentions to Jan, who is great in every way, and Coran for flair.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    ME. Only because I'm the only one who is reliable.
    But you're a wizard, and you don't join groups :p
    edited November 2012
    Mungri said:

But you're a wizard, and you don't join groups :p

I'll have you know I was quite the burglar back in the day :), with my own posse of thieves to boot!
    Ahh, well said @Mungri, you proved my point entirely.
    Mungri said:

But that's one of the reasons why you picked montaron and coran?

ONE of the reasons. You are quite right, it was ONE of the reasons. We are all going to think a little more highly of a character if they have better stats, but I see lots of people running around in threads such as this saying "well I prefer [NPC] because they are super strong." And that is *all* they say. I'm okay with people liking an NPC more because they're stronger, that's only natural, but when they rate all their favorites based purely on that, it's really pretty pathetic.
    Well out of every thief in the game, Jan is also the funniest.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Nalia doesn't really constitute thief. I put her down as my favourite mage.
    Imoen tends to come with me the most, but meh, if I take Nalia out of the equation I don't like any of them terribly much. maybe Jan Jansen.
    Yoshimo can die for all I care - and he will, if me or Irenicus has anything to say about it :)
    edited November 2012

Nalia doesn't really constitute thief. I put her down as my favourite mage.
    Imoen tends to come with me the most, but meh, if I take Nalia out of the equation I don't like any of them terribly much. maybe Jan Jansen.
    Yoshimo can die for all I care - and he will, if me or Irenicus has anything to say about it :)

Well Nalia can always backstab. 2x damage!!! So if she hits...that could be like...a waste of a round she could have been casting with :D